The following procedure and pictures were provided by
forum member JohnHWman. Thanks John!
Hello to all G70 owners !
I've been asked for information on G70 tube replacement using new bare
Panasonic P16LJE08 (or 07/06) tubes and since I just did this procedure on my
brother's G70 unit, I've decided to create this step by step procedure.
This procedure will allow people to mount bare tubes on the Sony original LC
metal housing without the need of glycol replacement. Bare tubes are far cheaper
than Sony original tubes with LC housing assemblies.
First main part is to remove the toasted tube and LC housing from G70 unit :
1. After plastic front cover removal, disassemble the lens from the LC
housing using a 300mm long neck Philips screwdriver. Unscrew the four lens
screws from bottom to top. Take care to hold the lens with left hand while
removing the last screw and gently remove the lens away along the same tube
center axis to avoid lens damage from the C-element's sharp circular edges !
2. Disassemble the original tube’s C-block at the tube ends neck by unscrewing
the secured neck screw and twist the block to the right/left alternately to
unplug it completely:
3. Disconnect all the DY/Sub-DY/MG and 2P/4P coils connectors:
4. Disconnect the tube’s relevant HV lead from the HV block close to the blue
tube by first removing the silicon gray cap from the block and then press down
and rotate the red wire 90° to remove it:
5. Unscrew all of the tube’s LC housing top screws (two long black and two