Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The VIM-DB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: The VIM-DB Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Not that modifying CRT projectors are still a hot topic, but I have to entertain myself with something...
Here is a new development waiting for trial.
This is a modification board specifically for Marquee projectors. This daughter board follows the conventional circuit topology like the original VIM: signal switch followed by a variable gain amplifier. But with all new components, this is not based on the AD834/835 multipliers anymore, instead a variable gain amplifier called VCA824.

Regarding bandwidth the previous VNB-DB boards were already as good as needed, but it is somewhat difficult to deal with as it needs the VIM, VNB, LVPS and HDM modified to various extent. While the later two is a recommended modification to any Marquee anyway, it is still somewhat demanding to carry out such modification.

This new board is aimed to overcome this weakness, it again contains all signal processing on a single PCB (including own, separate, low noise power supply), but this time located on the VIM, with retaining the miniRCA connectors it would be possible to upgrade the signal path in a simple way. The board is so much self contained that only minimal modification would be needed to the VIM: adding only three resistors and tapping certain control signals, and of course the video input.

The VCA824 multiplier has 700MHz bandwidth (even better than the AD834, while cheaper than that!) and offers easily adjustable gain (beyond unity), which was torublesome on both AD834-835. Also very low noise.
The signal switch is called TMUX154E, which also appears to be an excellent switch with good isolation (which is further augmented by double switching scheme), 900MHz bandwidth, while having low on channel resistance and low input capacitance.

Overall I'd expect even better bandwidth performance as possible with the VNB-DB but at a lower labour.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic , sounds very interesting.

It's great we Marquee owners still have things to look forward to.
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how long has this pcb to wait to be populated?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
so how long has this pcb to wait to be populated?

As soon as I'll have my electronics stuff in the new house Razz

Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big ups for this, absolutely great stuff!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if some one would just mod a SONY 1031 ;P

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Now if some one would just mod a SONY 1031 ;P

The VNB-DB was designed for cross-platform (Sony, Barco, etc) operation in mind, although my first idea wasn't exactly the 1031 Razz
Regardless, so far I've only made VNB-DB for Electrohome and I believe it will stay like that, although the door is open for the possibilities Wink

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one board for Marquee, Sony & Barco ?

wouldn't that be sweet!

so when's the big move of the electronics stuff to the house?

can't wait!
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony please
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:

wouldn't that be sweet!

The VNB-DB family was meant just like that. I've briefly evaluated the possibility adding Marquee VNB (the best possible neck card) to Sony and Barco. In fact I've almost finished -on theoretical basis at least- the needed modifications for fitting in to a Barco 909, and the Sony G90 way does not look impossible either. But without a test chassis (or a helper with deep understanding) it would be really hard to fully finish such project.

km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
nidi wrote:

wouldn't that be sweet!

The VNB-DB family was meant just like that. I've briefly evaluated the possibility adding Marquee VNB (the best possible neck card) to Sony and Barco. In fact I've almost finished -on theoretical basis at least- the needed modifications for fitting in to a Barco 909, and the Sony G90 way does not look impossible either. But without a test chassis (or a helper with deep understanding) it would be really hard to fully finish such project.

Have you ever built this for any Barco?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
gjaky wrote:
nidi wrote:

wouldn't that be sweet!

Have you ever built this for any Barco?

I haven't built it (yet), but worked out an easy and cheap way to power the Marquee VNBs in the Barco. I also have enough Marquee VNBs to supply such an experiment. I also figured out the needed modifications to interface the daughterboards to the Barco (using 909 style switcher and driver boards).
As usual, these ideas not necessarily mean it will work right away, so a 909 test chassis would be needed (what I don't have) to finalize such idea, or someone who can also understand what is going on the projector to some extent (and be able to take measurements and solder) so we could work out arising problems remotely at least.

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on the project, Gabor?

moved that vintage electronics stuff to the house?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
any updates on the project, Gabor?

moved that vintage electronics stuff to the house?

Stuff is only partly moved, the Marquee is still over there...

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many people are still out there using 9" CRTprojector?

Marquee? Sony G90? Barco 909 /Cine 9?

who is interested in a mod for the Sony or Barco ?
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
how many people are still out there using 9" CRTprojector?

Marquee? Sony G90? Barco 909 /Cine 9?

who is interested in a mod for the Sony or Barco ?

VVI here!!
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The VIM-DB Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Not that modifying CRT projectors are still a hot topic, but I have to entertain myself with something...
This is a modification board specifically for Marquee projectors. This daughter board follows the conventional circuit topology like the original VIM: signal switch followed by a variable gain amplifier. But with all new components, this is not based on the AD834/835 multipliers anymore, instead a variable gain amplifier called VCA824.

Regarding bandwidth the previous VNB-DB boards were already as good as needed, but it is somewhat difficult to deal with as it needs the VIM, VNB, LVPS and HDM modified to various extent. While the later two is a recommended modification to any Marquee anyway, it is still somewhat demanding to carry out such modification.

This new board is aimed to overcome this weakness, it again contains all signal processing on a single PCB (including own, separate, low noise power supply), but this time located on the VIM, with retaining the miniRCA connectors it would be possible to upgrade the signal path in a simple way. The board is so much self contained that only minimal modification would be needed to the VIM: adding only three resistors and tapping certain control signals, and of course the video input.

The VCA824 multiplier has 700MHz bandwidth (even better than the AD834, while cheaper than that!) and offers easily adjustable gain (beyond unity), which was torublesome on both AD834-835. Also very low noise.
The signal switch is called TMUX154E, which also appears to be an excellent switch with good isolation (which is further augmented by double switching scheme), 900MHz bandwidth, while having low on channel resistance and low input capacitance.

Overall I'd expect even better bandwidth performance as possible with the VNB-DB but at a lower labour.

I thought you had Mike Parker modded cards and VIM.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The VIM-DB Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The VIM-DB Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
gjaky wrote:

No, I never had any MP modded boards, really.

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabor, any chance of a pic of the populated board?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: