Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

VPL-VW90ES Vs G90 in 3D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: VPL-VW90ES Vs G90 in 3D Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I got to calibrate a VPL-VW90 today in Berlin and this was the first one that the client wanted to use for 3D... aside from the fact that the G90 does black, gamma, color, and brightness better than the VW90, it also smokes the VW90 in 3D! The 3D on the VW90 was just terrible especially compared to the G90. The VW90 ghosts everywhere.

We watched a good portion of IceAge which was the perfect demo for me as I watched it on my G90 just three nights ago before going to Europe. Everything ghosts in the background and foreground on the VW90. Honestly, if the G90 had looked so bad I would have never followed through with the 3D project using the Lumagen Radiance processors for 3D on CRT. I am still simply amazed that the manufacturers allow such a crappy looking 3D image to be considered ok and sold in stores. This is an Euro 8,000 projector that is being smoked by the G90 in every aspect including 3D.

The Mits 3D DLP rear projectors are even worse so I still say CRT is king at everything.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892

Last edited by CIR Engineering on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe Sony ever marketed the 50 as 3D ready. The new JVCs are pretty decent with 3d, but they ghost a little as well. DLP doesn't have any ghosting problems with 3d.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I don't believe Sony ever marketed the 50 as 3D ready. The new JVCs are pretty decent with 3d, but they ghost a little as well. DLP doesn't have any ghosting problems with 3d.

...edit, sorry menat VPL-VW90 not 50!

The VW90ES was being touted as an unbelievable 3D projector for less money than all competition...

The JVC's are better than the Sony for sure.

DLP does not ghost much, but it can some. The worst part with DLP is the strange black level and gamma response with 3D. Seems they should be able to do better with 3D than they are now so I honestly don't get it.

Whatever eh?

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!

Last edited by CIR Engineering on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about the same pj? The 50 came out like four years ago.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Are we talking about the same pj? The 50 came out like four years ago.

Sorry, no, I am being a douche with jet lag... It is the VPL-VW90ES...

DOH Rolling Eyes

I will edit the heading and my posts!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
opv

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

...edit, sorry menat VPL-VW90 not 50!

The VW90ES was being touted as an unbelievable 3D projector for less money than all competition...

The JVC's are better than the Sony for sure.

DLP does not ghost much, but it can some. The worst part with DLP is the strange black level and gamma response with 3D. Seems they should be able to do better with 3D than they are now so I honestly don't get it.

Whatever eh?

craigr

What do you mean by less money? this PJ costs twice the price of the JVC X3.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VPL-VW90ES Vs G90 in 3D Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
I got to calibrate a VPL-VW90 today in Berlin and this was the first one that the client wanted to use for 3D... aside from the fact that the G90 does black, gamma, color, and brightness better than the VW90, it also smokes the VW90 in 3D! The 3D on the VW90 was just terrible especially compared to the G90. The VW90 ghosts everywhere.

We watched a good portion of IceAge which was the perfect demo for me as I watched it on my G90 just three nights ago before going to Europe. Everything ghosts in the background and foreground on the VW90. Honestly, if the G90 had looked so bad I would have never followed through with the 3D project using the Lumagen Radiance processors for 3D on CRT. I am still simply amazed that the manufacturers allow such a crappy looking 3D image to be considered ok and sold in stores. This is an Euro 8,000 projector that is being smoked by the G90 in every aspect including 3D.

The Mits 3D DLP rear projectors are even worse so I still say CRT is king at everything.

craigr

I told you... 3D on Digitals is not as good as on the better CRT projectors.

3D on Digitals looks extra artificial. And the distortions are not only ghosting, look at anything that moves, and you'll see even more stuff.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VPL-VW90ES Vs G90 in 3D Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:

I told you... 3D on Digitals is not as good as on the better CRT projectors.

3D on Digitals looks extra artificial. And the distortions are not only ghosting, look at anything that moves, and you'll see even more stuff.

Yeah, sorry about all my errors in the first post... but all I wanted to say was that the VPL-VW90 looks no where near the quality of the G90 running 3D. The G90 hands down smokes it!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I get to see some of the best of TI's DLP engines out there today. And with the industry saying that DLP is the best for 3D imaging, I'll say that not only a G90, but CRT can still smoke them all in 3D rendering.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
You know I get to see some of the best of TI's DLP engines out there today. And with the industry saying that DLP is the best for 3D imaging, I'll say that not only a G90, but CRT can still smoke them all in 3D rendering.

And the stuff you are working with Mike is on an incredibly high level. Some of those setups you have shown me are totally out of this world...

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT ROCKS! Smile

I smell a retube in the near future!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: