Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Where to get service manual for Advent VideoBeam 750?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxhifi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Where to get service manual for Advent VideoBeam 750? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

I've been playing with this dinosaur a friend gave me. I understand the technical limitations, but it's interesting all the same, and the curved screen is quite cool looking. Anyway, the projector deveoped a fault, and I'm having difficulty locating any service info. A schematic would go a long way to helping figure out the problem. I think there's an AGC issue. It was previously working perfectly, and then suddenly the brightness became excessive, and the contrast control functions as a brightness control rather than controlling contrast as it should.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

You actually have two problems. These date to 1980 or so, I used to sell them. So all of the service manuals are in landfills by now. And if you could diagnose the problem exactly, the part you need hasn't been made for twenty years. Electrohome tv chassis.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
So all of the service manuals are in landfills by now.

Doesn't mean someone didn't scan one years ago, similar to what this guy did with the Advent VideoBeam 1000A here (or what we did for most of our manuals on our site):

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=481552

Unfortunately his link no longer works...

No Advent manuals on our site I'm afraid (sorry!).

Good luck! Maybe someone else will chime in.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
maxhifi

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find one on www.stereomanuals.com - should be here in a week or so.

I am familiar with servicing vintage electronics, and the issues with parts supply. So far I've narrowed the problem down to not being the tubes, the flyback, the voltage multiplier, or the yokes - basically, it's got to be some small passive parts which actually are available, rather than a major component which would be a showstopper. It's extremely slow to troubleshoot when I have to reverse engineer everything instead of just following a service manual, though.

The electrohome chassis is literally identical to their 25" console TVs of the era, and there's separate add on boards for the convergence, pattern generator, and other things specific to it being in a projector and not a TV. Worst case scenario I could probably find an old console somewhere and steal parts.

I should add that repairing this thing is more about because I can, and not because the result will be financially worth it - I'm fully aware that one of those $99 wal mart projectors will likely have a better picture.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

If you are fixing it for laughs.......that's all you'll get! 4:3 composite video, maybe 800 x 600
maxhifi

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Guys

If you are fixing it for laughs.......that's all you'll get! 4:3 composite video, maybe 800 x 600

Yep, good old NTSC - I actually had it working fine, and was using it to watch Netflix. It is definitely of its era, but the picture isn't bad to watch. It's for novelty value and fun - no misconceptions here that it will make a picture comparable to even the most modest modern projector.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
4:3 composite video, maybe 800 x 600

Not quite. It’ll be composite only like you said, but that’s 480i, not 600p. You can also feed it any aspect ratio you want. Aspect ratio is not related. So even 2.35:1 if you like, albeit with a drop in resolution as the active picture area will only be a subset of 480i. But like the original poster said, it’s all for fun so why not? Have at it and enjoy. Many would argue that using *any* CRT projector in 2019 should only be done for laughs. Wink

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxhifi

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Many would argue that using *any* CRT projector in 2019 should only be done for laughs. Wink

Kal

Having recently seen what a 4k laser projector can do, I'd have to agree with you there!
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Many would argue that using *any* CRT projector in 2019 should only be done for laughs. Wink

Kal

How much are 4K laser projectors these days? Only laugh I'm having is when I check my savings account balance and not having to endure the meteoric depreciation.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
How much are 4K laser projectors these days?

No idea. I don't really follow it closely. I've been using a JVC RS56 (1080p with lens shift to eliminate and pixel structure) since about 2013 and am still floored by the picture quality. I enjoy much more than the various CRT projectors I had prior (which I did enjoy a lot as well).

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Tim in Phoenix wrote:
4:3 composite video, maybe 800 x 600

Not quite. It’ll be composite only like you said, but that’s 480i, not 600p. You can also feed it any aspect ratio you want. Aspect ratio is not related. So even 2.35:1 if you like, albeit with a drop in resolution as the active picture area will only be a subset of 480i. But like the original poster said, it’s all for fun so why not? Have at it and enjoy. Many would argue that using *any* CRT projector in 2019 should only be done for laughs. Wink

Kal

Easy there boyO...lol

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was done more as a comment against Tim who thinks a 480i projector is a waste of time. Wink I disagree. Run whatever you want for whatever reasons you want I say...

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Was done more as a comment against Tim who thinks a 480i projector is a waste of time. Wink I disagree. Run whatever you want for whatever reasons you want I say...

Kal

Tim needs to blend 2 Advents 480i with a 20% overlap on a 16:9 curved screen. Now that WOULD be crazy in 2019!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
maxhifi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

How much are 4K laser projectors these days? Only laugh I'm having is when I check my savings account balance and not having to endure the meteoric depreciation.

Yeah that's why my Runco 980 Ultra has never been displaced.. still love watching it, and no need to spend money. The Advent is more for fun.

I fed a test pattern into the adverts's composite input, and traced the video signal with an oscilloscope. Found the signal too low at all three CRT cathodes, and at the video amplifier output, so pulled the chassis to have a look around. Suspected video amplifier. Pulled out and replaced socketed transistors... poof.. magically problem solved itself. I think there is a bad solder somewhere on the video board causing an intermittent bad connection. Will run projector longer with cover off, and narrow down problem more.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal.........

"Many would argue that using *any* CRT projector in 2019 should only be done for laughs."

How did you GET this job? LOL
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Mortal Engines on my 'inferior' G90 with MP BA mods @1080/72 with blacks and saturation to die for. I, in no way, feel like I'm missing out. When time comes and the 4K lasers like the Sony VPL-VW995ES or next gen are sub $10K I'll probably consider one. The decrepit CRT won't live forever.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
How did you GET this job? LOL

That was ~20 years ago when a CRT projector market existed. Wink

I don't think anyone would argue that there's close to zero interest for CRT projectors today. The market speaks for itself: Curt has completely stopped selling as have most others as few people want them anymore.

I like CRT and used it for years. It's not a 'better' or 'worse' thing (CRT vs digital). Both have advantages and disadvantages and people should use whatever they like. The fact that close to zero CRT projectors or parts are available today helps make that choice for many people too. There's a place for everything, from 480i composite only CRT projectors to the latest 4K laser projector. Someone can and still do enjoy what they have, no matter what it is, as HaydnG90 and others here have mentioned. This is the CRT Projectors forum so we should allow people to talk about any CRT projector they like and not make fun of their choice or decision.

FWIW running this website and forum has always been more of a hobby than a job. This is not a viable 'job' (monetarily speaking) by any stretch of the imagination. Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: