Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 Error codes just popped up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Sony G90 Error codes just popped up Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Please Help

Tonight I went to the Theater room to watch a blu ray when turning on the projector I got these codes 63 69 6C Projector worked fine last few weeks no issues. Now will not complete the power on,the fans initialize but turn off almost immediately. I know what the codes say in the book but 63 abnormal in the 50 volt line 69 Abnormal high Voltage 6C abnormality in the CRTs. Worked Flawlessly the other night for several hours. Any ideas???? I have a spare G90 now with extremely low hours so I have spare boards if I need to do some swapping.

Regards Bob Northington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check tube faces, especially green. You may have a cracked tube. Not uncommon on the G90.
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my green tube and the others no cracks . Just an FYI I replaced my green tube about a 2 years ago for a crack didn't think it could happen again so quickly glad you mentioned it though wouldn't have thought to look at it. I have been running the brightness at about 69 and contrast the same since replacing the green tube. The guy I bought it from told me to try and isolate the pins on a the reinstall of the tube as his thoughts were they could be causing the problem with the cracking. Any other thoughts you might have on the codes would be welcomed. Could I possibly have a loose connection on the green tube that I installed that would cause these codes . It will flicker once in a while but goes away for months at a time. Hasn't done it recently. No codes till tonight when just getting ready to watch a movie.

Regards and thanks for responding Bob Northington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be corrosion on contacts at pins. Worth unplugging and reattaching the neck boards and anode leads. Also if you think it could be tube related disconnect each in turn and try starting the pj to try and isolate the issue. Trouble is the codes are quite generic and not board related. They do appear related to power supply.
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Haydn G90 Thanks a bunch for responding. I will do what you said . Can you enlighten me on what you mean by the neck boards? How many are there or is it obvious.

Regards Bob Norhington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neckboards are the board's that the pins at the end of the tube attach to. I neckboard per tube
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90

Do you mean the boards at the end of the tubes?

Regards Bob Northington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To HaydnG90

Thank you very much for the info.

Regards Bob Northington
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Sony G90 Error codes just popped up Reply with quote

To Haydn G90

This is the first evening I have had time to follow your advice on the G90 error code problems. I have removed the flat wires red and white from the green tube, and now have removed neck board from Green tube. Tried to start Projector still same error codes. I started with disconnecting green tube as that was the tube I replaced in 2017, so that being said if I had left something loose or ? I felt that was the only thing in the projector I had worked on and has flickered momentarily from time to time. But never enough to investigate. I did not unhook the high voltage lead the one you push in and turn. Is that necessary to fully isolate that tubes intercession from a problem? Thanks for reading in advance.

Regards Bob Northington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the green HV lead and try again. If same codes then your only other option is to systematically replace boards. You're lucky to have a spare G90 on hand. Start with the PA (power supply) board. The caps on the G90's could be getting to the end of their useful life.
btw how many hours on the chassis? When did you last change your Dallas chip? A YA board with a defect can cause some seemingly unrelated problems (I know from personal experience) so after checking the PA I would look at the YA.
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unplugged green high voltage lead tried powering up seems like it wants to but then shuts back down. Displays same codes. This projector I bought from curt in 2016 and the Dallas chip was replaced by him at that time. I believe that is what he said . He reset the hours to 0000 so I don't know the hours before he reset it. I have about 1100 hours on it since I bought the unit from him. Green tube went out about a year after I purchased it and I bought a used one and installed it. That's the only issue I have had with it other than since the replacement of the Green tube it flickers for a few minutes some times but always seems to start working after a few minutes. It happens when I first start it up, the flickering that is and other times after it been on several hours it will do that for a couple minutes and then its fine for the rest of the time I am watching. The spare unit I have is very low hours maybe just under 1500 hours as I remember. It has never been in the shop so it probably needs the dallas chip replaced although I powered it on when i got it and everything seemed to work just fine. I am tempted if i can't get this back and up running I should have a chip put in the other unit and hang it in this ones place as I know the hours are correct and low on it. If that means anything after 18 or 19 years of capacitor breakdown etc....This situation as i am looking in my notes happened once before and it eventually cleared itself didn't put in the notes what I did or what got it going again. Oh now I see I took couple of the the boards out and put them back in again and it worked. Which boards were you thinking to swap out?

Regards Bob Northington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really doesn't sound like the green tube is causing the error codes. The intermittent flickering could be contamination on the cathode which burns off after a short time. Try the PA board.
Curt would have replaced the Dallas as a part of the prep before sale so you should be fine there

However if the Dallas is original in the low hour set you really ought to replace it now. You could nuke those minty tubes if it fails while the G90's turned on.
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Haydn60

Thanks for the Dallas Chip info now if I new where it was I could get it replaced. Does it plugin or soldered to the ? board its on? One other quick question on reinstalling the high voltage lead from the green tube to the power supply I have been using a pair of needle nose pliers as I cannot get a good enough grip with my hand to push in and turn. How do you connect it?

Regards Bob Northington

Once again I really do appreciate all your suggestions and help.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your Dallas chip from a reliable supplier. There are counterfeit parts out there in the market place. I bought mine from Mouser
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/DS1245Y-120%2b?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvaNBfR%2FsmQG1WKblw65Y6D2ywu5r3LtqU%3D

Its located on the YA board with the digital daughter board. It plugs onto the board via a dedicated soldered on socket. Just carefully pull it up, easing gradually from both sides to avoid bending or breaking the pins. The chip is held on pretty tight. Avoid static and use a non conductive tool to lift the chip. Installing the new chip requires a little care. Make sure the pins are properly located before applying even, steady pressure to seat it. I placed the board on a rubber mat to prevent damage to the YA.
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90

Is this the Mouser part number for the Dallas chip? Mouser #: 700-DS1245Y-120

Regards Bob Northington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90

Thanks just wanted to be sure as there was no mention of Dallas chip just this part number and the cost about $37.00 Not bad if it keeps from burning the tubes if it goes out. Iwill get it ordered meantime i will swap the board you mentioned on the G90 while i am waiting for the chip.

Regards Bob Northington
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to copy over the data on the old chip if you want to retain hours and serial number.
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90

I just got around to putting the green tube High voltage lead back in the high voltage power supply. And then put the neck tube back on the green tube plugged in the 2 cables to the silver box below the neck tube. Then just for fun I tried the power on it came on about an hour ago with no issues currently. I made sure the high voltage connection was really snug this time I yanked on it just a tad. Really confident its no longer part of the problem. so that being said will keep my fingers crossed. One more issue, that I have had the duration of the projector I get a wide black bar and a thin black line next to it on the far left side of the picture sometimes on startup and I have to unplug the cable from the A/V unit to the moome card at the moome card several times to eliminate this problem sometimes its annoying as it take 10 or 15 times to get a clear picture. Any ideas what it could be its done this from the start of when I got the projector from curt. I sent the moome card back to him he didn't have any issues with the moome card so it must be something here. I have played with the moome card remote with no success on this issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . Would a picture of the bar help?

Regards bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: