Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Little bit about me and question about chormapure/HFCR

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Photographer86

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Little bit about me and question about chormapure/HFCR Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello, Just purchased a x-rite i1display pro. After finding the open source software and then leading to ChromaPure which I now want to purchase I would have held off and purchased the meter and software together. I have a few questions. I have read the entire first article about using HFCR.

1. Should I return my i1display pro and purchase looks the same i1display pro 3 from ChromaPure?

2. Also Does the i1display pro need any matrix applied? I calibrated without and seemed to do fine. Way better looking and natural to the eye. The settings I used was REC.709, Gamma 2.22, display type I choose unknown because I didn't see my tv listed. Of which the vizio M65-c1 is a TN panel, 4k UHD non HDR LED display with local Dimming.

3. In STEP 8.2: Adjusting the colour control and measuring for color saturation with CMS which I have on my vizio m65c-1 and it also has a 11 point white balance as well. In the guide you adjust red via color option in tv menu in case the user does not have CMS, Since I have CMS I can skip that step and follow the Step 8.5: Advanced Colour Management System (CMS) adjustments in the guide correct? To there proper values?

4. Also I have not updated the software yet of x-rite so I think it may be using some older drivers and I see in the new HFCR that after it finds my i1display pro it doesn't say LCD but says i1displaypro/color monkie . So I left it at that and went with it Should I update to latest firmware of unit or send this into ChromaPure since I am looking to purchase?

5. I am not sure if the Spears and Munsil has 75% color saturation test patters. I see Primary and Secondary test patterns but they don't say if they're 75%, When you choose a color though they have full 0% to 100% in steps. So little confused on that. Thanks.

What an amazing article about calibration. I have very pleased with it. Very happy with my HDTV results to the REC.709.
I am very Happy I understand this guide in that when I purchase ChromaPure it's gonna be a breeze. Further to help you guys out I am using the Spears and Munsil blu ray disc for test patterns.

Thank you very much Curt Palme on the articles very much! For a pro am as myself that loves learning about DIY and doing things such as this, thank you very much for sharing.

If anyone can answer these questions for me it would be great!!

Thanks all.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Little bit about me and question about chormapure/HFCR Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Some background info/context before I answer your questions:

There's confusion around the naming of this meter so let me clarify: The X-Rite manufacture calls the meter the "i1 Display Pro". We call this stock/unaltered meter the "Display 3". We then take this stock meter and create a special enhanced version that is more accurate on 10+ display types when used with ChromaPure. You can see the modes that are included here on our ChromaPure/Display 3 Pro order page: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm

We call this enhanced meter the "Display 3 PRO". So just to be clear, the "i1 Display Pro" you can purchase at Amazon and elsewhere is not the same as the "Display 3 PRO" we sell. Those that already own an "i1 Display Pro" purchased elsewhere can send us the meter to turn it into a more accurate "Display 3 PRO". Cost to do so is $199.

The enhanced accuracy of the "Display 3 PRO" model we sell is software based (the meter is not altered) so this accuracy only works in ChromaPure. By not altering the meter it continues to work in all other software too (though without the enhanced accuracy). In other words, you cannot buy a Display 3 PRO meter and then make use of the enhanced accuracy in other software. For this reason we also do not sell the Display 3 PRO meter by itself to users who do not already own ChromaPure. The increased accuracy only works in ChromaPure.

Photographer86 wrote:
1. Should I return my i1display pro and purchase looks the same i1display pro 3 from ChromaPure?

That depends. If you're interested in the more accurate Display 3 PRO, you can send us your i1 Display Pro meter and pay $199 for it to be upgraded to a Display 3 PRO, or you can return your meter and just buy the whole package from us here: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm

Up to you.

Quote:
2. Also Does the i1display pro need any matrix applied? I calibrated without and seemed to do fine. Way better looking and natural to the eye. The settings I used was REC.709, Gamma 2.22, display type I choose unknown because I didn't see my tv listed. Of which the vizio M65-c1 is a TN panel, 4k UHD non HDR LED display with local Dimming.

Our Display 3 Pro has many different offsets added for increased accuracy:

Generic LCD
Samsung Standard LCD
Samsung LED
Sony Standard LCD
Sony LED
LG LED
LG Standard LCD
DLP Rear projection
CRT
Plasma
LED Front Projection-Screen
LED Front Projection-Lens
Front Projection-Screen
Front Projection-Lens
OLED
Quantum Dot (QLED)
Laser Projector-Screen
Laser Projector-Lens

Read about them here: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm
See the section "What is the EyeOne Display 3 PRO?"

Quote:
3. In STEP 8.2 ...

You're referring to our ColorHCFR software guide. ColorHCFR software hasn't been officially updated since about 2012. You won't be using this if using ChromaPure software. We don't support ColorHCFR software and stopped answering questions about it 6-7 years ago as it’s been surpassed by other software like ChromaPure. That said, others may be able to assist if you have ColorHCFR specific questions.

Quote:
4. Also I have not updated the software yet of x-rite so I think it may be using some older drivers and I see in the new HFCR that after it finds my i1display pro it doesn't say LCD but says i1displaypro/color monkie . So I left it at that and went with it Should I update to latest firmware of unit or send this into ChromaPure since I am looking to purchase?

ColorHCFR and ChromaPure are not related. ColorHCFR is old software. It will not be used when using ChromaPure software. There is no firmware that can be updated in your meter. Our ChromaPure guide is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Photographer86

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you thank you very much for the question answered kal.

Okay, so for a guy like me that really understand all the graphs I have learned. Using test patterns and wants to be the pro but is still a pro armature guy....... What version of ChromaPure would you recommend? Would use for my family and friends. Would never make it a job, I am a hobbyist, ham radio operator, nerd that will learn the extra stuff but may not always apply it. Hope that help answer your question.

I will be sending in my meter to get it upgraded cause in a year or so I want to go to OLED so will want to have a meter and software to calibrate that. I will still use the meter to calibrate my IPS panel computer monitors. If I purchase just the software for now which should I go with and can i use my non upgraded meter with ChromaPure now while I save a little more for the upgraded meter later?

My apologizes for putting HFCR with ChromaPure. I though through my reading it was from the same smart guys. Thank you again for all the info! Really appreciated. Looking forward to ChromaPure and the upgraded meter. Oh do i need to use the ChromaPure test patter disc or can I still use my Spears and Munsil for test patterns? Trying to keep a budget but do all this lol.

Any other things besides viewing the forum for learning when to display certain test patterns? After looking at chromaPure it seems to have a great work flow but just curious when should 75% patterns be applied vs 100% white for grey scale and such?
Why does the 75% matter? Stuff like that. Just to know.

Thanks very much again Kal for the helpful info.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographer86 wrote:
Okay, so for a guy like me that really understand all the graphs I have learned. Using test patterns and wants to be the pro but is still a pro armature guy....... What version of ChromaPure would you recommend?

We have ChromaPure Standard, Plus, and Pro. Standard is fine for you.
Read about the differences here: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Quote:
If I purchase just the software for now which should I go with

ChromaPure Standard. Available here: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Quote:
can i use my non upgraded meter with ChromaPure now while I save a little more for the upgraded meter later?

Yes.

Quote:
Oh do i need to use the ChromaPure test patter disc or can I still use my Spears and Munsil for test patterns? Trying to keep a budget but do all this lol.

You can use either, whatever has the patterns you need. ChromaPure has built in patterns too.

Quote:
Any other things besides viewing the forum for learning when to display certain test patterns?

Follow our ChromaPure guide: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Quote:
After looking at chromaPure it seems to have a great work flow but just curious when should 75% patterns be applied vs 100% white for grey scale and such?

The guide explains step by step what to use. See the previous link.

Quote:
Why does the 75% matter? Stuff like that. Just to know.

Our guide tells you what to do when but doesn't go into the science or formulas behind the colorimetery. That's well beyond the scope of what most people want to know as a good background in math/science degrees are required to follow. There are probably a lot of good textbooks on about optics / physics / etc that would explain more. I would start with the basics for now.

Cheers,

Kal

Photographer86

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much again Kal!!!!! and thanks for helping another new guy with all this. Really appreciated!!!

Off I go!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Calibration nerd heaven!!! Take care.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your calibration!

Kal

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Good luck with your calibration!

Kal

Hey Kal,

I see that there are different profiles for calibrating projectors at the lens vs at the screen. Can you share what the difference between the two are, in terms of offsets applied to the meter? Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
I see that there are different profiles for calibrating projectors at the lens vs at the screen. Can you share what the difference between the two are, in terms of offsets applied to the meter? Thanks.

Best to contact ChromaPure support for questions on using ChromaPure or what the options are for as they're best positioned to answer questions about how the software is built. They're at: support@chromapure.com

The manual may also get into the details. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: