Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G70 won't power ON - Error 30

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickster365

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: G70 won't power ON - Error 30 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I have a G70 which was working OK, but today at power on, I get an error code 10 followed by 30 then power off.

I have tried a hard power off-on, tried removing the Moome HDMI card from the IFB slot all to no avail.

Any Suggestions?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try searching? Google is your friend.

My first hit led right back to here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG70_ErrorCodes.shtm
rickster365

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Try searching? Google is your friend.

My first hit led right back to here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG70_ErrorCodes.shtm

First thing i tried, but as the pj won't power on I can't reset the memory, so it looks like it's the actual DC board.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want this:

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/SonyG70_Error_Codes.pdf

The convergence board is bad, very common on the G70. I can fix it for you.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
you want this:

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/SonyG70_Error_Codes.pdf

The convergence board is bad, very common on the G70. I can fix it for you.

Could be. But an Error 10 was thrown first. I've seen my G70 throw Error 10's when it couldn't lock to a signal, or when it was being fed a signal it didn't understand or couldn't sync to. It didn't shut down when the Error 10 was displayed though. Since it's a known fact that on rare occasions a 1080p signal can throw an Error 30, perhaps the OP should try a different resolution?

EDIT: So that he can rule out that the signal is causing the issue rather than the DC board going bad?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had it once where a 1080p signal caused the set to throw a 30 error. Error 10 is lack of an input signal, or a strange input signal, but the set shouldn't shut down because of an error 10.

Since the set was working beforehand, I'd suspect failure of the DC board well above any other potential problem.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Guess my G70 is weird - I've never seen it actually throw an Error 30 code before. Usually the convergence of the image would just start dancing around is when I was clued in to when mine was going bad.

Speaking of which - why do these things fail so often on the G70? Age? Heat? Both? Did I also understand correctly that part of your repair on these boards is to modify them for extra durability?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt knows this better than I do but I BELIEVE that what happens is that the heat sink grease under the convergence amplifier modules becomes less efficient as it dries out over the years, which causes the convergence amps to overheat and eventually fail.

Replacing the old heat sink grease with superior silver bearing grease is probably not a bad idea.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age and heat cause them to fail. The heatsink runs red hot, and beware that there are many of those chips out there that are counterfeit as well, and they can last a couple of days to a couple of months. you shouldn't have to change convergence boards more than once. I've never had one come back that I've repaired.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Age and heat cause them to fail. The heatsink runs red hot, and beware that there are many of those chips out there that are counterfeit as well, and they can last a couple of days to a couple of months. you shouldn't have to change convergence boards more than once. I've never had one come back that I've repaired.

Good to know. Thanks! My counterfeit chips didn't even last an hour. Very Happy
rickster365

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Guys.

The error 10 is spurious as i didn't have any input connected at the time.
I did notice that the convergence was stating to drift slightly the night before, with the unit failing to power on the next day, so it looks like its the DC board.

I'll pull it out tomorrow and check.

Curt can you PM me
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: