Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 9500 brightness flicker

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICinRGB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Marquee 9500 brightness flicker Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My 2002 9500LC has an unstable brightness or G2 level and it's been this way the whole time I've owned it, about a year. At times it will be stable but most of the time it fluctuates between, I'd say 10-50% brighter than its current setting, making blacks dark grey, flickering up to light grey. Lately the picture will shift to the left a little while the fluctuations are occurring and be slightly out of focus.
Parts I've swapped out, but only briefly:
CLM
VIM
HVPS
Focus Board
Ran without ACON and Contrast Modulation boards
I've insured that all tubes are grounded and the power jack it's connected to is grounded as well. I've also tried running with each of the tubes disconnected one at a time to rule out a neck board or tube malfunctioning issue. I run it without a case and it always seems cool so I don't think heat is the issue.
I love this projector and really want to to find a solution, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The observation that the picture gets slightly out of focus with the brightness change indicates a G2 issue. You are sniffing in the good direction, since G2 control is originated on the CLM and is controlled on the VIM, and takes effect in the HVPS. A connection problem between VIM and HVPS could be suspected as well - sign of an old glycol leak?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ICinRGB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response gjaky, and for the info. It hasn't had a glycol leak since I've owned it, but i did find a little glycol on the focus board when swapping parts around that I cleaned and resolved an unstable h-size issue. I haven't seen glycol anywhere else in the unit. Ok, I'll inspect and try to clean the connections you mentioned. Thanks again!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use isopropyl alcohol to flush out under the 8 pin chip of the motherboard that sits vertically under the tubes that the main motherboard connects to. One tiny bit of glycol under that, and that can cause the exact problem.
ICinRGB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, will I need to disassemble the projector to access that chip?

Thanks,
Tony
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICinRGB wrote:
Curt, will I need to disassemble the projector to access that chip?

Thanks,
Tony

As you could imagine that chip is located at the least accessible part of the chassis, so yeah you have to disassemble it pretty much, unfortunately.

ICinRGB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Sounds like I have a weekend project. Does anyone have a pic of this 8-pin chip? I haven't delved that deep into this projector yet.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the CLM and the boards over it (CMM and ACON - if you have) you can see it through the opening.
ICinRGB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so the backplane. Ok, I'll get to work, thanks!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually access it when it's floor mounted by taking out the red and green tubes only.
lydmann

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same issue on my 1209/2, except the focus is not affected and Picture is not moving. but when I use blanking, the g2 is increasing-

Can it be the plug to the neckboard which need cleaning? Or is it gasy tube?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: