Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT FREE

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: CRT FREE Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It has been some time coming. Last week, I dropped off my Sony 34 inch direct view tv. It was the last of my CRTs. Ironically, it broke a week after I unloaded my projectors.

Yes, you heard that right. I sold my G90s and G70s to CJ back in December. I lost my temper about the election and decided to unload the projectors. It left me lighter if I decided to leave the country.

Right now, I have a JVC RS25 and Marantz 15 for projectors. I set up the JVC from time to time, but I don't have it permanently installed. I should probably unload the Marantz as I hardly use it. Nice pj though.

Two weeks ago, I bought a four year old LG plasma for $150. Out of the box, I was crying compared to my old Sony. I think Curt dubbed it clay face. Really disappointed. After doing a basic calibration, I was happy as a pig in mud. I need to do a full on calibration with it, but it smokes my old CRT in everything but on/off cr. I know there are a lot here that don't know how or haven't calibrated their displays. You really should head over to the Chromapure section and pick up a meter and software or call someone like Craig Rounds.

I think CRT still looks good and I will continue to look in, but for me I am out of the game. I am sure Crabb is having a little chuckle. He has told me I should move on long ago. I was just to stubborn. Wink

g90 a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  484.24 KB
 Viewed:  9777 Time(s)

g90 a.jpg

IMG_20170213_123658a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.73 KB

IMG_20170213_123658a.jpg

g70 a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  424.94 KB

g70 a.jpg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that truck looks familiar!

Those G90s live! Well, one of them is still short a YA board but both have joined the fleet, which currently stands at five G90s.

I'm NOT done with CRT yet. Or I'm in big trouble!

G90 formation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.17 KB
 Viewed:  9761 Time(s)

G90 formation.jpg

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

34XBR960? Love those TV's. I still need a few.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: CRT FREE Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Yes, you heard that right. I sold my G90s and G70s to CJ back in December. I lost my temper about the election and decided to unload the projectors. It left me lighter if I decided to leave the country.

Wink

Serious weight loss. Anger management maybe. Laughing

Sorry to see you do that as pool gets even smaller.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His projectors still exist, so the number of G90s hasn't changed, but the number of current G90 users is down by 1.

That can be corrected. If anybody wants a freshly retubed, fully overhauled G90, I know where you can get one..or two..even three.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well be in the "CRT FREE" crowd too. I still have my 8500 but I've only used it a few times in the last year. Mostly because I have a housemate living in the basement, and it's awkward to go down there to use the HT. Plus I never watched many movies by myself anyway, and now that my sons aren't here any more, it's just not as much fun to go down there by myself.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I might as well be in the "CRT FREE" crowd too. I still have my 8500 but I've only used it a few times in the last year. Mostly because I have a housemate living in the basement, and it's awkward to go down there to use the HT. Plus I never watched many movies by myself anyway, and now that my sons aren't here any more, it's just not as much fun to go down there by myself.

Your not watching by yourself your flat mate is down there. Just take the popcorn and beer down with you (heck he should bring that) and turn it on he will be impressed. Mr. Green
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still holding onto mine as PC monitors still don't come close in the aspects that I care about. Hoping one day that OLED will become more mainstream for PC monitors.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Still holding onto mine as PC monitors still don't come close in the aspects that I care about. Hoping one day that OLED will become more mainstream for PC monitors.

I get allot of strange looks when people ask me what TV I have. I always tell them I'm still rockin' my CRT's Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to LCD monitors when they hit 1080p, not a moment before that.

I admit it's nice to NOT have 150 pounds of twin Sun/Sony GDM-1510 CRT monitors eating up precious desk space anymore,
but their image quality was nothing that I've ever seen equalled by any flat panel monitor as of today.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood the whole "eating up desk space" thing. What are you going to do with it? Lease it out to builders and put condo's there? Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually do like to have a lot of open area on my desk. And my desk is not that deep. The big CRT monitors were fine when I had a much deeper desk at work, but here at home its depth is barely 2 feet which is about a foot less than my old work desk.

With a bigger desk to work with here I'd probably be rocking a pair of GDM-FW900s.

Heck, if I should be so fortunate as to win even a small lottery, I'll set up my PC workstation and use a 4K projector as my computer display. Something with very low latency as I like to play some games.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I still need 9 GDM-FW900's. Beautiful monitors.

If I had the room I'd have a blended rear projection 3 CRT projector setup for my PC

CRT.

HD done right!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in luck! There's a guy on ebay selling THREE 909s as one lot right now.

But they're skinless, have custom made mounting brackets on them, and he refused to show the tube condition, so his 7500 dollar
asking price may be a bit hard to stomach.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
34XBR960? Love those TV's. I still need a few.

That sounds right. I don't have the model number in front of me.

I did debate whether to fix it or not. The Sony threw a nice picture, but I don't think it can compete with this calibrated plasma. I did shop around for new TVs and was disappointed with anything but 4k pictures on them. Even good OTA didn't really impress me. That included the LG OLED. I realize these were uncalibrated in the store, but I did adjust the basic settings. Still underwhelming. I really want an OLED sometime in the future, but I can wait for now.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I've seen wrong is bulged caps in the power board in SONY sets and bad power IC's MCZ3001DB IC w/ 18 Pin Socket.

CRT.

HD done right!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for being "CRT free", I am entirely CRT free EXCEPT for the following:

Six Marquee 9500LC Ultra
Five Sony G90s
One Sony G70

Approximately 90 extra 9" CRTs, plus about a dozen 8" tubes.

Granted, some of these tubes are worn to the point that nobody will want them at any reasonable price, so those will
be disposed of in a legal and environmentally responsible manner, but that still leaves several dozen good tubes
that you'd be happy to have in your own CRT projector. Still others (quite a few sets) are in absolutely new condition.

I do not anticipate becoming truly "CRT free" for several years to come.

Quite the contrary, I'm still hoping to get my hands on a Barco 909/Cine 9/CineMAX at some point so I can learn the ins and outs
of Barco machines and compare image quality between it and the Ultras and G90s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: