Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Problems with flickering image and horizontal lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Problems with flickering image and horizontal lines Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Lately Iīve been having problems with flickering image and horizontal lines. Its occurs in general when the image is bright.

My setup is at blurayplayer through a ext moome fullhd v3 card which i connect to port 3 in a barco 1209. Im using bluejean cables.

I did notice that when i wiggle the cable thats connected to the vga output the image flicker a bit.

Does anybody know what could be wrong?

Best regards.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried port 5?
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried port 5 and it was even worse. Even the colours became distorted. I didnīt mention that i recently switched from HTPC to bluray player. These problems wasnīt there with the HTPC. The HTPC-resolution was set at 1080p 60hz.

I didnīt do any adjustements to the pj when i switched, just connected the bluray player to moome card.

Any suggestions what this could be?

Thanks
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the menus and internal test pattern?

My guess is that you may have some internal HV arcing, in the HV splitter or a tube HV lead.

Run the internal menus and test pattern at 100% contrast, and see if you get flickering then.
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried internal patterns with contrast at 100, and no flickering at all.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's leading me to think it's a signal source issue, but then again, the internal menus don't drive the projector/tubes/HV as hard as a bright video signal does. Can you post a short video clip to Youtube, and put a link here?
thanks!
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when i switched from port 3 to port 5 and back to port 3 the flickering was almost gone. It was still there sometimes but much less frequent. I filmed it wiht an Iphone and the flickering here is not what you see live.

Here is port 3 filmed with a iphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-CgSGwdCJg&feature=em-upload_owner

Here is port 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZv2Z_w-gBs&feature=em-upload_owner

Best regards
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 24fps setting turned off on the BluRay player? This really looks like a source issue.
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually 24 p for Blu Ray and DVD are turned off but I rarely watch movies from Blu Ray since i rip my movies to an external HDD and watch them from there. Is there prehaps another setting that could be causing this problem?
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the htpc again
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a HTPC, the same thing. I looked into the tubes and noticed that itīs coming from the blue tube. At some specific scenes (normally bright) the lines are showing and moves up or down (se two lines at the bottom on the attached image). I also noticed that the blue tube is very unstable compared to the green and read. At some scenes it gets very jumpy inside the blue tube.

A few years ago I hade a grind pattern on the display and the contrast set almost to max to set focus. The grind seems to have burned in the tube but It never showed on any images before.

Best regards

Scanlines.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Scanlines.jpg
 Filesize:  490.82 KB
 Downloaded:  369 Time(s)

Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I connected my setup to an old CRT monitor that is lying around and couldnīt see as much as a hint of flickering. Could it be something with the projector?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the video, on port 3 at :04 and :05 second mark the screen flashes to purple which would indicate a loss of Green as well. On port 5 there is banding of different colors.

Curt is the RGB switcher board going bad? or is the port 3 board going bad and corrupting the RGB board ?

I would remove the port 3 board and see if the problem on port 5 goes away or changes, but lets see what Curt suggests
http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout3.shtm
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the port 3 card but was unable to watch through port 5 due to the banding. I changed the output to 720p and there wasn`t even a hint of flickering or lines. Afterwards I put back the port 3 card and ran my setup through port 3 still on 720p and I didnīt notice any flickering or lines. When I set the output to auto it startes again.

By the way what is causing the banding? Now that I think back the problem actually started when I switched from HTPC to blurayplayer. I didnīt do any setups after I switched beacuse it looked good. Instead I got problems with flickering and lines.

Best regards
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About all I can think is that the H phase control in the geometry menu is set too far to one side. Not sure why 720p works, but 1080p doesn't.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
Tried a HTPC, the same thing.
with or without moome box?

The moome card (internal) in my marquee 8500 runs fine at 720P but has serious problems at 1080P. not a problem for me as my 8500 is perfectly happy at 720P but this might be your issue
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent tried without the moome box.

Should a do a new setup from scratc on my Barco with the bluray player?

I thinkt that when I was seting up the HTPC I might used H phase shift on the moome card. Prehaps this also should be set to zero if Iīm doing at new setup?

Best regards
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
I havent tried without the moome box.

Should a do a new setup from scratc on my Barco with the bluray player?

I thinkt that when I was seting up the HTPC I might used H phase shift on the moome card. Prehaps this also should be set to zero if Iīm doing at new setup?

Best regards
I don't think H-shift or set-up or any of that should be causing this.

do you have a VGA to BNC breakout cable? you should be able to go from HTPC video card directly to barco with no moome box. of course this won't work with the BD player but for testing................

Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I connect my HTPC directly to the PJ. The graphic card I used to use didnīt work so I used an old replacement that couldnīt output 1920x1080 through VGA. I could set it up to 1600x1200. Not a hint of flicker without and with the moome card. When I was close to the screen i noticed that the image was a bit unstable at the same parts where I usually get flickers watching through the sony bluray player. It was High Plains Drifter and it appeared on the bright parts such as filming heaven. But from a normal watching distance you couldnīt see anything.

Best regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: