Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Crown Power Amps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Crown Power Amps? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
SC's sub thread has me thinking I might want to do something with my audio system and I have a connection at Crown I should be able to get really good deal on a Crown amp. Sadly since Harmon acquired Crown, production at the plant in Elkhart Indiana is winding down as most production is being moved to China so I need to decide what I want to get somewhat soon. Anyway, I'm really dumb when it comes to audio gear so forgive my ignorance. Here a summary of my audio equipment.

HTPC with Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card with w/RCA 7.1 analog out. It's connected to an Atlantic Technology P-2000 Pre/Processor via the 5.1 channel input. My current power amp is a Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp that is selectable as 2 channel 3 channel or 5 channel amp. The mains are PSB Goldi with a Polk Audio CS1000p center channel speaker. Rear speakers are a pair of Definitive Technology BP10 towers. I have four Aura AST-2B-4 Bass Shakers mounted on the risers and driven with a really old Onkyo power amp. The sub is a Velodyne CT-12 front firing unit. Everything is about 10 years old except for the sound card but otherwise in decent shape and IMO sounds pretty decent.

I have noticed when listening to music if I don't switch the power amp to 2 channel mode it does not seem to have enough power to drive the mains. I think in SC's thread he referred to headroom, so IMO I think I could use more. What I thought I could do is get a Crown amp for the mains and then use the Sony for the surrounds and center in 3 channel mode.

I have noticed that most Crown amps are XLR input except the XLS Series. I do see they make XLR to RCA adapters that but I wonder do they cause any issue when using them in a home theater application? I understand the Crowns do have cooling fans but from what I've read they seem to be very tame. What kind of power should I be looking at to give me enough "Headroom" for my PBS speakers?

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one in on trade from a restaurant. Lightweight, built in DSP with eq and crossover, blah blah. Computer controlled.

Super complex internally, zero serviceability inside. Crowns, QSCs and BGWs, etc used to be built to last 20+ years. I predict about 10 out of the newer amps. Switching power supply, etc.

Hey, have I ever ranted about disposabilty? Wink

It's still a nicely built amp, I still like Crown, but the building of them in China explains a lot of what I see in the unit I have here. It's a CSi1000 I think.

No problems when running unbalanced into a balanced input, short pins 1 and 3 together of the XLR. Keep in mind that all switching amps MUST HAVE the available current from the AC outlet when pushed hard. If you plug 20 things into a big power bar, and a bass note comes along that needs 10 amps from the AC outlet and the AC voltage sags, you'll clip the amp, blow the speakers. Put each amp like that on a dedicated outlet and you're fine.

BTW, Crown like QSC and others usually are not rating their amps in RMS power anymore to compete with those stupid 'peak power' specs by cheapie amp manufacturers. Just FYI.

Last edited by Curt Palme on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Crown Power Amps? Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
What kind of power should I be looking at to give me enough "Headroom" for my PBS speakers?

Mike

How many cookies is the cookie monster rated for?

Laughing

I have some Behringer A500 with the RCA unbalanced input...and I think they rock. Many people do have issues using only an xlr to rca cable and end up with some Art cleanboxes (HERE)or similar which adds quite a it of cost for a 7.1 setup but does address the difference in voltages between consumer and prosound equipment.

I was seriously contemplating getting a set of XLS amps and still may eventually. I think anything over 150W from a prosound amp is going to be crazy loud...it doesn't even compare to 150W from a receiver.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crown Power Amps? Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

How many cookies is the cookie monster rated for?

Laughing

Recommended is 15-300 cookies according to this link. It also says Program 250 Watts....Whatever that means.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=7&sId=2

Ahh...The Art Clean box looks interesting.

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that speaker watts are pretty ambiguous. It's much easier to blow a speaker with an underrated amp that goes into clipping continuously than it does with an overpowered amp rated at more than what the speakers are, but with it running well below the clipping point.

'Program' power is usually peak power.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Keep in mind that speaker watts are pretty ambiguous. It's much easier to blow a speaker with an underrated amp that goes into clipping continuously than it does with an overpowered amp rated at more than what the speakers are, but with it running well below the clipping point.

'Program' power is usually peak power.

Thanks! That's good info on the AC power...It seems like we used to call Peak Power pure BS...The el'cheapo POS stuff always used that spec. I think for a while the federal trade commission outlawed using it and required using RMS. This was in the days when a 25" TV was actually 23". So then they changed the CRT part number to a 23VA, for viewable area.

Mike

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, in Canada they rolled the number UP. We always laughed that we had 'bigger' TVs up here in Canada, even though they were the same damn sets.

I talked to QSC at a trade show about the wattage ratings, and they openly admitted that it was impossible to get 2000 watts per channel out of an 1800 watt power outlet, but they were losing piles of sales to the low end amp makers that were catering to the Rave DJs etc that only looked at numbers, so all the name brand people followed suit.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other alternatives Mike.

Here are some fairly basic consumer amps made for HT.

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Or the whole theater in a single amp.

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a used Krell KAV-500 and I feel no real need to replace it. The damn lights dim when I turn it on but Thumbs Up Thumbs Up !
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the switch is lending power to all channels and limiting any channel to a max amount when in 5 channel.

Or 500ww peak available to all 5 channels, limit 75w per channel at a time to decrease the chance clipping.

Something like that.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
wildchild22

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use benringer ep-4000 for f,c,r,rl,rr and behringer a-500 for the side l and right surrounds. Massive power I doubt if I could clip them if I wanted. It was cheaper for 3 ep4000 and 1 a500 then emotiva for me. I use 1 channel of the ep4000 for my buttkickers.

These amp are monsters they are clones of QSC-PLX2
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I'm running three Crown XLS-202D's - putting out about 300wpc into my 4-ohm M&K's... They ran me about $750 for all three after rebates - a lot less than even anything I could have done with Emotiva. They're discontinued now, and everything is going to their lighter-weight class D computerized stuff, now...

I think the closest replacement would now be the XLS-1000... Street price is $299. I would be interesting to find out what kind of a deal your insider could get you!

I really like my Crowns. One thing to be aware of, though... The main problem with pro-sound amps though is the fans. If your rack is outside your room, no problem. If inside, then you'll probably want to look at fan speed mods unless you have them stuck in a corner behind something to soak up the fan noise.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beelive that the Crown K series - K2 and K3 - have no fan noise issue.
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to anyone, but in general Behringer isn't anywhere close to what Crown is as to build quality, etc. I could be wrong, but I also don't think that A Behringer amp is a clone of a QSC, unless QSC and Behringer are getting the same amps made by the same company in China.... which is possible I guess.

I know that www.inter-m.com was making a whole lot of the Altec, Yamaha, all Samson products and rumor had it that they were making some QSC stuff as well.
wildchild22

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt you wont affend me. I know Behringer in pro audio is considered crap the exception is the euro power amps.
I can tell you they are heavy and built like tanks. You should have a look at the insides there is a pic there it is a clone of the qsc rmx-2450. The QSC has a bigger transformer but for home use the ep2500 is sufficient
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/3658-quieter-fan-mod-behringer-ep2500.html
ep2500

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/27765/83/?SQ=032a9891ff9f425f2063d6ac64e715b1#msg_27765
qsc-2450

also here are some measured results.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10755537#post10755537
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting. I'd say they probably are made in the same factory judging by the parts and color of the PC board, but also looking at the wiring harness, the Behringer stuff is cutting some corners.

But hey, I sold Inter M amps for many years, still do to a small extent, and in 10+ years, I've only had two of about 200 fail.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the XLS1500...I can't really say what I paid but was very reasonable.

I'm looking over the manual and it looks very configurable....I was wondering could I get second unit set it up in LowPass Mode and use it to drive subs like SC built...and not use plate amps?

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't even need to use that low-pass mode, Mike... If you're using the LFE-out from your receiver or processor (or HTPC), then the signal will already have a low-pass filter applied (if you're running smaller mains), or will be only LFE (which doesn't have any HF component.)

But, yeah - you could definitely use one to power a sub or two. Definitely. Lots of guys do just that - use prosound amps to drive subs. The most popular is probably the Behringer EP series like the EP2500... They're very cheap for the amount of power they put out... They're a little iffy quality-wise, but most guys aren't too concerned with build quality for HT, and sonics just aren't that important for LFE.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
You wouldn't even need to use that low-pass mode, Mike... If you're using the LFE-out from your receiver or processor (or HTPC), then the signal will already have a low-pass filter applied (if you're running smaller mains), or will be only LFE (which doesn't have any HF component.)

SC

Duh...That makes sense!...I can't wait...When I ran the Sony power amp in 2-channel mode it sounded so much better.

The subs will have to wait for now...I just don't have room until take some space from my garage and do an AT screen.

With the price of the Seymour Screen material that may not be that long. I talked to Cliffy at Craigs meet and he's going with Seymour material. He say's it's much brighter than the SMX and I'm sure it will be brigher than my 10 year old Parkland screen.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to steer the thread into a different direction, but what kind of amp would have to be developed to replace the Crown for example?

Mono or stereo
Wattage
Filter options
Cost

Kim

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: