Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Replace my M8000 with the RS2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
wedge wrote:
I paid $3500.00 for my 8110 from Curt.

Yep, and at the time, $3500 was great because all you got in the digital world was a really crappy 720p LCD. Times change.

wedge wrote:
I'm happy with what I have & that is what counts.Very Happy

Yes that is. My point was that you don't need to come in and spread misinformation due to your frustration. Plenty of us can correctly set up a CRT and have them looking fantastic!

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary. Looking at your graph:

The red tinted HD145's look very similar to my red. Blue looks the same too but I bet it's very close on every projector since there's never any tinting. The blue comes 100% from the phosphor.

Green on mine is slightly off like you said. Not as good as HD145's. Those HD145's really take you almost exactly bang on don't they?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wedge

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
wedge wrote:

Yep, and at the time, $3500 was great because all you got in the digital world was a really crappy 720p LCD. Times change.

wedge wrote:

Yes that is. My point was that you don't need to come in and spread misinformation due to your frustration. Plenty of us can correctly set up a CRT and have them looking fantastic!

What Misinformation DAVE.
I said I was HAPPY with my RS1.If you have a problem with the fact that a former CRT'er is now happy with a digital projector then quite frankly that is your goddamn problem & NOT MINE.

Lets face it Dave,sometimes you are a real prick.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Green on mine is slightly off like you said. Not as good as HD145's. Those HD145's really take you almost exactly bang on don't they?

The HD145's make it "too red," but they get rid of the "orangey" tint of the red tubes. I think the really big win is the green -- getting rid of all that excess yellow makes everything work out a lot better. I've never had a set of untinted lenses to try just filtered green & unfiltered red/blue. It might look more accurate, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure but I've suspected the "cartoony" look that people mention in the RS1's comes from primaries that are "too red" and (primarily [pun Smile]) "too green." But if that was the case, your "too green" Onyx would look "cartoony" too, and I'm assuming you haven't noticed that. Smile
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:
Person99 wrote:
wedge wrote:

wedge wrote:

What Misinformation DAVE.
I said I was HAPPY with my RS1.If you have a problem with the fact that a former CRT'er is now happy with a digital projector then quite frankly that is your goddamn problem & NOT MINE.

Lets face it Dave,sometimes you are a real prick.

The misinformation is you came in here trashing your 8110 saying the HD didn't look much different than SD. If that is the case, you system was f*ck*** and you are a real prick for spreading misinformation that HD on a CRT does not look much better than SD. that is just downright false. So, I called you on that. If that makes me a prick--oh well.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
scottap

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green on the RS1 and RS2 is definitely oversaturated and the red is as well although not by as much. I think I read somewhere that pushing the green like that increases contrast. While you can finess the settings to reduce the effect, you're still going to get color tracking errors—neon greens, orange skintones—in some shots. (The rumor is JVC will soon be offering a processor that will correct the problem for the generous price of $3,000). I feel it also has issues with motion blur and image noise in low-light scenes. It's subtle and you can learn to live with it, but it's there.

But to say that it's not perfect doesn't mean that it's not very, very good. Every technology has it's shortcomings and the fact that people are debating whether or not it's better than a high-end CRT projector speaks to the strengths of the RS1/2. Being able to set it up in 10 minutes and start watching movies is no small thing. Not every situation can accomodate a CRT projector and it's great that there are alternatives. All things being equal, I still prefer the look of CRT particularly if you're still watching any SD material. (Not everything I want to watch is on Blu-ray yet.)

Regarding digital projectors with built in CMS... I know someone who recently traded their RS1 for a Sony VW60 (Black Pearl) because the color tracking on the RS1 bothered him. I went to see it once he installed and calibrated it. The difference was subtle but noticeable and you weren't constantly second-guessing the colors on-screen. (The CRT equivalent I suppose is endlessly fretting about convergence and corner focus.) What was interesting though was that he told me he had to recalibrate the VW60 every 40 hours or so since he was still breaking in the lamp. In general the lamps lose up to half their brightness in the first few hundred hours and then stablize. Once it does stabilize, he shouldn't have to recalibrate it as often, but I was a little surprised that it wasn't a one-and-done kind of deal.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The HD145's make it "too red," but they get rid of the "orangey" tint of the red tubes

I think i agree with you on the red hd144/145, I Have a second set, that i will eventually put on my moded 8000. I should try the clear on the red tube and leave the green alone and see what it does. I do notice a slight redness with the HD144.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
trailblazer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I was at the Montreal Hi-FI show, and I took in a demo on the new Dreamvision model, msrp at $ 25000.00. The rep stated that it was a JVC 3 chip lcos techonology. They played The Kingdom in HD DVD from a Pioneer player displaying it at 2:35 to 1 ratio.
The image was fantastic but then I realized that I have this same image in my basement emanating from my Marquee 8000.
Separately all digital projectors look awesome when viewed by themselves , it is only when you compare them side by side that you see the differences.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I'm not sure but I've suspected the "cartoony" look that people mention in the RS1's comes from primaries that are "too red" and (primarily [pun Smile]) "too green." But if that was the case, your "too green" Onyx would look "cartoony" too, and I'm assuming you haven't noticed that. Smile

How "off" are the R/G primaries on the RS1 though? Maybe they're off considerably more than my Cine 8 Onyx. And you're right: Nothing cartoony about it. Extremely pleasing/natural looking. You just forget about the fact that it's projected.

Kal

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone not bother just buying color filters to get better starting points on the primaries, and neutral density filters to lower the black level? I mean, if you are going to go digital then you should be trying to get the most out of it using the biggest bang for the littlest buck.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Why would anyone not bother just buying color filters to get better starting points on the primaries, and neutral density filters to lower the black level? I mean, if you are going to go digital then you should be trying to get the most out of it using the biggest bang for the littlest buck.

You can't color filter a digital. There's only one lens.

Kal

scottap

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Actually people have had limited success filtering their digitals:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831730&highlight=filtering+RS1

Just like with built-in CMS, the problem is that as the lamp ages, its properties change and so what filter combination looked good at 100 hours isn't going to necessarily going to look so good at 200, etc. There's also variations from bulb to bulb, so what may have worked with the first bulb won't necessarily do so with the replacement and so on.

Another problem with filtering, whether for color correction or to reduce light output to lower black levels (ND filter), is that it can introduce haloing. Guess that makes the RS1/2 even more CRT-like. Smile
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
How "off" are the R/G primaries on the RS1 though? Maybe they're off considerably more than my Cine 8 Onyx. And you're right: Nothing cartoony about it. Extremely pleasing/natural looking. You just forget about the fact that it's projected.

Pretty far off, now that I look at it. I think the "stock.jpg" picture HERE is an uncorrected RS1. The red isn't much worse than yours, but the green is waaaay out there. No wonder they look "cartoony."
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott: Interesting. I suppose if you could put something in front of a digital to try and pull all 3 primaries inwards.

Gary: Yes, that RS1 is pretty off in the green. You're right that it's no wonder that they look 'cartoony'.

Kal

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

You can. CC30R filters have been used on a number of digitals. Phelps use those on the HX2's if I remember correctly. Problem is, they lower the ANSI CR.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
That's pretty good. The red is a little hot, and the green is a bit intense and a mite too blue-ish, but it's darn close. Much better than an unfiltered 8500, for example: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5604

Oops! I made a mistake! I had my color space set to NTSC in the previous picture:

When I set it for the wider HDTV (Rec709) color space that is used for Blur-ray, I'm actually much closer - blue and red are almost bang on:

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
You can. CC30R filters have been used on a number of digitals. Phelps use those on the HX2's if I remember correctly. Problem is, they lower the ANSI CR.

Dave, those are monochromatic filters, aren't they? E.g. you could use a magenta filter to attenuate excess greens?

But don't they affect ALL primaries? I would think the above magenta filter would pull EVERYTHING in the magenta direction, adding a magenta cast to the whole image.

I'm with Kal. I don't see how you can color-filter a single-lens projector without totally messing up the colors.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
WanMan wrote:
You can't color filter a digital. There's only one lens. Kal

Um, I did this on the HS50 some years back to increase the contrast. Those filters were not ND in type. Maybe my use wasn't to correct the colors (hint, hint). Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:
Forget it.I realized it just isn't worth the troll bait.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please put a space between your sentences.Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: