Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Damaged HDMI connector

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryk

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the last version of this box, I had it repaired and am still testing it out. I don't have an ideal setup right now so I can't determine some of the fine details yet but what I did experience is a problem with the HDMI plug. I think the design of this plug is under engineered and is just a problem waiting to happen. What happened to me is when I plugged in my Blujeans cable, it bent some of the contacts in the moome box that likely were not seated properly. I have used the cable in various other applications with no problem so I believe that not only did the moome box plug fail but it took out my 25 foot cable with it. I didn't notice it at first though, I plugged it in and had very interesting thngs happen to the picture, streaks, lines colors out to lunch etc. I unplugged and replaced everything and it was worse. I then noticed that that time the plug didn't go in all the way. I checked the plug and there were three contacts bent out of shape. I managed to get them bent back enough to be able to coax the plug in and now it works fine so far although I will not be able to just plug or unplug the unit without being very careful and holding it in just the right angle to get the pins to lay flat.
It is a long shot but just take a look at the pins in your HDMI plug and make sure they are all in place.

Larry
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
I split this to a new thread.
this problem is not appropriate to the subject of the one you posted in.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
cliffnseattle

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: EXT HD box bit the dust - looks like bad HDMI connectors Reply with quote

My H1 input had not worked for a while (quit working not long after arrival), but a few days ago the H2 input quit working. I had been switching cables when needed, anticipating arrival of a new audio pre-pro box with HDMI switching (still a few weeks away). Guests were over and I switched to the Tosh A3 player. Nothing. After an hour of messing around (switching cables, inputs, and multiple power unplug / plug in), I gave up and went back to my component -> RGB transcoder.

I noticed that "crunching" sounds were sometimes present when plugging in a cable to H2 on the EXT-HD. So yesterday I shined a light into the connector and noticed at least 3 connector "wires" looked like they had broken off, on each connector. So I think I'm suffering from the same "underdesigned" HDMI connector problem as noticed by the OP of this thread. I opened up the box but the HDMI connectors are enclosed and soldered to the board (from what I could tell), so it doesn't look like there's any easy fixes, short of re-soldering new connectors to the board.

Joust, is this another round of repair for you, or do I contact Moome directly for the next step (either repair or replacement) or is there something else I could try?

Come to think of it, I should try the component input on the EXT box to verify that path is still working.

Thanks!

Cliff
Joust

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can certainly repair this.
it is totally out of scope of the other repairs though. I will do this one for $$. Smile

To be honest, I have plugged and unplugged ALL of the boxes sent to me, both connectors multiple times.
I test each box as it arrived before I do anything to it to establish a baseline (ensure its Not DOA)
then test the bare repaired board before I reassemble the case. then again after the case is reassembled.

this represents 100s of connections. I have never had a problem.

i'd suspect your cable perhaps? I'm not saying these are robust connectors. one could be a quirk, but if you have both messed up I'd look at your cable rather critically before you break something else with it.
larryk

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem when you get a bad connector, it can take out a number of others by the time you realize it. Only one connector is gone as I discovered the problem before it went too far. To update, the number 1 input is not usable anymore. infact I have been having trouble with the box in general again but I have had no time to trouble shoot yet. It's just sitting collecting dust right now and I am back to my Fury. That's not to say that it's the Moome box other than the HDMI connector but I need time to figure it all out.
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think the problem is HDMI all together! Many installers know how fiddly these physical connectors are, both the male and female ends. I don't mind hand shaking and HDCP as much as I mind those bloody connections!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree in general.
the connector is ok for small cable but the big fat high end cables need a connector with either more inherent retention or a locking mechanism.
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do sell hdmi with locking mechanisms, but at the moment only some manufacturers are on board with supporting them
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: