Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Screwed and Blu'd - Let the consumer fleecing begin!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Screwed and Blu'd - Let the consumer fleecing begin! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We all knew this was coming didn't we....

Without Toshiba to absorb the rabbit punches meted out by Sony, the consumer is taking it in the ass, erm, gut on Sony licensed Blu-Ray player pricing. *See pricing timeline graphic below.

Adding insult to injury are Sony's plans to introduce BD Profile 2.0 near the end of 2008 which promises to make additional media content available via a RJ45 TCIP connection. Early adopters are screwed on this one unless Sony releases an update disc to patch the firmware and IF the player supports the connection. Some people will get off on watching Matrix Unloaded for the umpteenth time with a PIP box showing a 'simulcast' green screen making of the scene. I think most could care less and actually have lives they could invest that wasted time in.

The best bet right now is to hold off on purchasing a standalone BD player or buy a PS3. The price of the PS3 is holding steady at around $400.00 due in no small part to the competition posed by the muscle bound crossed arms of Microsoft standing vigil against another Sony monopoly.
While Microsoft may try to pass themselves off as a consumer guardian, they've left their Xbox 360 owners holding a $200.00 'useless' HD-DVD player. No big surprise there either as early adopters of the Xbox 360 now have a machine incapable of today current connectivity schema. (HDMI)

Random studies of electronics chain consumers show JSP would rather hold off taking the leap into the expensive Blu pool and will continue to upconvert until Blu-Ray player prices come down. Pricing isn't predicted to appreciably shrink until 2009 however. Apparently Sony would like to recoup the cost of it's battle with the bloodied and defeated Toshiba.

Greg

Graphic credits: engadget.com

blu-ray-march-2008.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.75 KB
 Viewed:  7807 Time(s)

blu-ray-march-2008.jpg

rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOPS, bluray zealots. Bet that stings a little. But doesn't it feel GOOD to support BluRay???? Just knowing it's SO MUCH BETTER than HD, or anything else for that matter must make thinking about all those extra dollars you have to spend now to support bluray a little better, right? Thumbs Up

Personally I didn't give a rats @$$ about the different formats. I do think predatory capitalism is pretty low. No matter who's behind it. Thumbs Down

I am an iconoclast
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont care which way it went either I got a LGbh-100 as soon as it came out, HD-DVD, Blu Ray it didnt matter to me. All those extra features i never use anyhow.
One of the things I think that also isnt helping the HD disc material is the lack of knowledge to the average consumer. They still believe that upconverting dvd players that do 1080p are the same as HD-DVD or Blu Ray. i own a small Diner and hear it all the time from my customers. "Why get blu ray for 400 bucks when i can get a upconverting dvd player for 75 bucks and it will do 1080p as well?" Its the Fault of the Manufactures for letting that happen. not enough education towards the benefit of either of the HD formats. If those companies that make Blu ray or HD-DVD stoped making upconverting SD DVD players and only made the HD dsic players that also have a good upscaller then the consumer would have less choices as to which player to get. Thier would only be two choices. the old SD dvd non upconverting player or the up converting and HD disc players.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Screwed and Blu'd - Let the consumer fleecing begin! Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:

Without Toshiba to absorb the rabbit punches meted out by Sony, the consumer is taking it in the ass, erm, gut on Sony licensed Blu-Ray player pricing. *See pricing timeline graphic below.

Adding insult to injury are Sony's plans to introduce BD Profile 2.0 near the end of 2008 which promises to make additional media content available via a RJ45 TCIP connection. Early adopters are screwed on this one unless Sony releases an update disc to patch the firmware and IF the player supports the connection. Some people will get off on watching Matrix Unloaded for the umpteenth time with a PIP box showing a 'simulcast' green screen making of the scene. I think most could care less and actually have lives they could invest that wasted time in.

The best bet right now is to hold off on purchasing a standalone BD player or buy a PS3. The price of the PS3 is holding steady at around $400.00 due in no small part to the competition posed by the muscle bound crossed arms of Microsoft standing vigil against another Sony monopoly.
While Microsoft may try to pass themselves off as a consumer guardian, they've left their Xbox 360 owners holding a $200.00 'useless' HD-DVD player. No big surprise there either as early adopters of the Xbox 360 now have a machine incapable of today current connectivity schema. (HDMI)

Random studies of electronics chain consumers show JSP would rather hold off taking the leap into the expensive Blu pool and will continue to upconvert until Blu-Ray player prices come down. Pricing isn't predicted to appreciably shrink until 2009 however. Apparently Sony would like to recoup the cost of it's battle with the bloodied and defeated Toshiba.

Greg

First, I knew this was coming and stated as much before Xmas. Anyone, like youself , that sat on their fat lazy arse for not buying a BD player when they had the chance to when they were under $300 can just take their tax returns and pay the premium, or just do without. Hah! No one said HD was suppose to be cheap. Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Screwed and Blu'd - Let the consumer fleecing begin! Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
JustGreg wrote:

Greg

First, I knew this was coming and stated as much before Xmas. Anyone, like youself , that sat on their fat lazy arse for not buying a BD player when they had the chance to when they were under $300 can just take their tax returns and pay the premium, or just do without. Hah! No one said HD was suppose to be cheap. Mr. Green

Very well spoken Nostradamus. Thumbs Down Anything else you "know" and would care to share with the rest of us with a "fat lazy arse" lest we all share the same miserable fate? Twisted Evil

I am an iconoclast
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Screwed and Blu'd - Let the consumer fleecing begin! Reply with quote

rabies_70 wrote:
WanMan wrote:
JustGreg wrote:

Greg

Very well spoken Nostradamus. Thumbs Down Anything else you "know" and would care to share with the rest of us with a "fat lazy arse" lest we all share the same miserable fate? Twisted Evil

Think that's spelt Nostro-DUMB-ASS

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I was joking. Second, both Costco and Best Buy had been selling Blu-ray players for $279-299 since Thanksgiving through Xmas, and that doesn't even speak of the sub-$300 Amazon Blu-ray offerings that were going on.

So, humor aside the deals were there but you had to either surfed the Internet (Amazon was a difficult option, I know) or go into a store. Of course, being that this is a CRT forum based on people's willingness to even consider used then I would presume you could find both new and used players for under $300.

Maybe some of you should petition the FCC to offer up welfare coupons on BD? Mr. Green You poor ba$tards.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwed and Blu'd - Let the consumer fleecing begin! Reply with quote

What's the source of your information Greg? I don't understand what you're saying with this one:

JustGreg wrote:
Adding insult to injury are Sony's plans to introduce BD Profile 2.0 near the end of 2008 which promises to make additional media content available via a RJ45 TCIP connection. Early adopters are screwed on this one unless Sony releases an update disc to patch the firmware and IF the player supports the connection.

How's this adding insult to injury? Everyone knows that the players out today aren't Profile 2.0 compliant.

The actual news/dates:

"Sony has announced officially that its first profile 2.0 ready Blu-ray players will be released later this year. Each will include profile 1.1 "Bonus Play" support, an Ethernet connection and a USB port for external storage. The BDP-S350 ($400) will be available this summer and will be firmware updatable to profile 2.0/BD-Live later in the year. The BDP-S550 ($500) will follow in the fall, and will ship with profile 2.0/BD-Live support installed. FYI, sources at Panasonic have also told us that their first profile 2.0 player, the BD-50, is due to arrive in stores in May or June."

Source: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=12178

The PS3 is still the best buy, but if you really don't want a gaming machine the S350 sounds like a good machine to get as it'll support Profile 2.0 100%.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to buy another BD player it would probably be a second PS3.
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too actually. Even with all these new players coming out, I would *still* buy a PS3. Still surprises me as I was dead set against it originally. It's a phenominal piece of engineering.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: