Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who ended up with those Vision One case parts molds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Who ended up with those Vision One case parts molds? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Some years back, you might remember that I actually bought the fiberglas case molds for the skins for a Vidikron Vision One/Two, and I handed them over to another forum member who does fiberglas work to see if he could get some good case part sets out of them.

I recall that he made up some various parts, and posted photos of them, but that's the last I heard of it.

Does anyone remember who that was?

I'm asking because I've made an offer on a Vision 2 with a perfect case, but the front section is set up for an 8" machine,
and if the guy who has the molds was able to make up a good front for a 9" machine, then there's the part I'd need to
complete this case set if I get the projector.

You know, I'm going to take a moment to rant and gripe while I'm here.

I was the first guy that I know of to experiment with putting non-stock focus yokes in a Marquee, thus launching the
"frankenyoke" project.

Never made a dime off it.

I bought the case mold parts for 500 bucks.

Never made a dime off it or got a single case part from them.

I GAVE away a good sized load of usable LCP tubes, including some absolutely flawless blue and reds, with
the agreement that if the guy I gave them to would ever be able to sell any of them, we'd split the money.

Never saw a dime off that, either.

A few years back I salvaged a pile of 8" Panny tubes out of some Barco 808s (I think) that I found at the local
recycler. I made the clearest possible pics I could of them including screen shots that showed, in some cases,
extremely faint pattern wear but only in very tiny areas.

I sold those tubes for 50 bucks each, what you see is what you get, don't bug me if they turn out to be just
what was pictured.

It was about a dozen tubes.

I think I ended up refunding nearly all the money to the various buyers because EVERYBODY bitched about
getting imperfect tubes for 50 bucks each, and they matched the photo descriptions.

One of them, a red, even went to one of our own forum administrators here. He decided, without even bothering
to plug the tube in and check it, that that one little comma shaped spot wear pattern was a delamination of the phosphor
and wanted his money back. Without even checking! Dude, that wasn't a delam, that was one of the details on the King Tut type mask that was part of the intro scene in the Universal Studios Mummy ride that this projector's tube was used in.

So I refunded his 50 bucks and told him to chuck the tube.

I just want you to know that I've given to this community, more than most people have, over the years, and I have
gotten very little in return out of it.

There, I've gotten that off my chest. There are a few people here who are quite happy to TAKE but not so willing to GIVE like I have done.

Hey, I'm not perfect, either. But if I buy a 1200 dollar (new) tube in used condition for 50 bucks, I don't expect it to be perfect and I'm not going to ask for my money back, particularly when it matches the photos provided of it.

I've always tried to make it right with any deal I made if the customer did not have his expectations met. But I see little
in the way of evidence that the pendulum swings both ways, sometimes.

If you're running frankenyokes in your projector, you might consider sending me a dollar per yoke just to say thanks.

If you have the stuff I handed over to you and actually sold some of it, consider at least telling me what sold and for how much.

If you bought a cheap used tube and wanted your money back because it turned out to NOT be a pristine condition tube worth far more than a lousy 50 bucks, you should be seriously ashamed of yourself for having asked for your money back. There's cheap, and then there's CHEAP. And THAT was CHEAP.

If you made any projector case parts from the molds that could actually be used, send me one...or a set. Or a few bucks to cover my 500 dollar expense to buy the molds PLUS the money I spent to ship them to you.

I'm done. Rant completed. I have now gotten rid of that which was bugging me.

So...back to business. Or fun. Whatever. I hope a few of you read this, know you're implicated, and feel just a little bit bad about being cheap and/or not holding up your end of the deal or at least communicating with me if nothing sold.

END.
tschaeikaei

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this really is horrible. I feel with you and must say i've never had a deal like this on the forum here, but yes,
i've got far less experience than you.

To a foreigner who never was to the US, it sometimes seems that money is everything that count's there.
What always makes me sad is people who have knowledge and don't share. Some of them think they discovered the holy grail and own it now. Is this forum a selling platform or a community where everyone shares knowledge?
I share every tiny bit of wisdom i have, see this all as a hobby and a learning process of a hole community. Everyone should distribute.
Regards, Julian

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me it is what I've done as a living for the last 15 years, most of that full time. in 1999 I knew nothing about data grade video projectors, and ended up with about 14,000 posts on AVS asking, learning and contributing. Now, there`s people here like Craig Rounds that know far more about certain repairs, and about the setup of a CRT that I still don`t know, but Ive gotten really good at repairs, thanks to countless hours of learning the various circuits of every CRT out there.

I understand that for 99% of people out there, it is a hobby, and now that it is part time for me and I've dropped my prices to suit the lowered value of the projectors, I don't rely on projectors for income to pay the mortgage.`I`m still not giving the information away for free though.

I have always personally drawn the line at not giving out or posting component information here, and some people have taken offense to that, and have left. The problem is, it takes time and money to run a website like this, not to mention tech support, which would be up to me to sit here for hours on end and give that information away for free. If my house was paid off, then maybe I could actually do that, but that's still a few years away.

It's the same for any other profession.. can you call a lawyer and get a free letter regarding a divorce, after all, it is just words on paper, or can you call your local mechanic, and get him to spend an hour explaining how your fuel injection works? No, that doesn't happen.

I think most people here understand that, but select few don't.

I know when I'm dealing with an expert in a field that I know nothing about, I'm always appreciative of his time and knowledge, and always try to return the favor if I get something for free. As the saying goes, it's $10.00 for the part.. but $75 to know WHICH part to replace.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a problem giving out information IF I judged that the value of it was not great enough for me to try to make it my task to fill that market.

If there had been a practical and profitable way for me to build up tested, working, proven, high quality frankenyokes by the dozen and sell them to Marquee owners for a profit, I'd have done it. But, with the supply being catch as catch can, I never even considered it and just gave enough information out for the benefit of those who know which end of a soldering iron isn't fun to touch after it's been plugged in for a while.

I'm OK with giving away information that isn't very valuable from a business perspective.

But when i am selling off used but usable stuff for cheap prices and people COMPLAIN that they didn't get pristinely perfect parts,
then pardon me, from this moment forward I no longer care and will make no attempt to ease your butthurt if the used grade 8 CRT I sell for 50 bucks actually turns out to be a grade 8 CRT and not a 10 that I let slip by.

From this moment forward my policy on any used items I sell is "as is, where is, no refunds" unless specifically stated otherwise.
They will be accurately described to the full extent of my knowledge about them, but remember, even judging condition is a SUBJECTIVE matter. I might judge a given CRT to be an 8. You might call it a 7, Someone else might call it a 9. So I'll include photos, check them out and have a nice day.

I'm done with giving stuff away, too. Unless it's to give it away with no strings attached. Usually I've asked people to share the money if I give them something. Not once have they coughed up so much as a penny for me. Which is absurd.

I'm not going to enable you to be CHEAP anymore. I offer bargains from time to time, but there's a difference between being a bargain hunter and a lousy cheap#$$.

But I do stand behind what I sell. (Except for the horses and elephants.) I'll always guarantee that an item is as described, or replace it with a like item.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, got it. I sent the case molds to Derfla, last post Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Dude, you owe me some case parts or send the molds back.
tschaeikaei

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on this mate. But since you sent him the stuff i assume it would be better to dig out his address and write a letter or look for his phone number.
I don't think he will read this.
About the tubes you sold: I didn't see the ad, nor the pics. But as i read your post, my first thought was: Why did you refund the money?
If the tubes were as described, they all knew they're not gonna get new tubes for their little money. I would have never send the money back in such a case.

Curt, let me state that i absolutely did not mean you when i wrote the above post.
In contrary, you are the guy, who even sent me parts for free.
And you live in Canada, not the US Smile

In my experience, when it comes to the repair of technical things, there are two kinds of people.
Costumers/ consumerists: They want the projector to throw a picture. They are not interested in the technical detail,
they'd have no understanding, they'd never sit hours on datasheets and schematics.
They want a picture on the wall, the why and how is not of interest.
Even if you tell those guys how to repair the thing, they would not be able to, nor would they be interested in learning how to do it.
And they don't have the soldering iron and testgear. To have a technical understanding and be able to deploy tips and help,
you need basic and advanced technical understanding, skill and tools.

Technical interested people: It always is fun to share your knowledge with people who are interested.
And you'll get something back. Let me give you an example.
I came to a guy who had worked with motorcycles for over 20 years and asked if he could adjust the engine valves
on my quad bike. I knew very little about engines at that time but i had basic technical understanding and skills and wanted to learn.
He told me to stay, help and watch. In the end, i worked with him for about 8 years, and we both learned from each other.
He taught me about motorcycles, i told him everything about electronics and metalwork i knew.
In the following years, there were countless other people who stayed in the shop while we were doing repairs.
The huge majority was just doing smalltalk, drinking their beer or coffee and never asked a single question about the technical part.
They simply had no interest.
The main thing i learned from the motorcycle guy was that if i happen to know something i will always share.
You can't have any disadvantages by doing so. The opposite is the case.

I've written a lot of text and am not sure about posting it.
About people how don't share their knowledge while they benefit from people who post their findings and wisdom.
Even financially in some cases.

In my opinion it strongly is against the basic principle of a forum to do so.

Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Julian. I appreciate your comments. Curt, you too!

I refunded money for those tubes because, darn it, after all's said and done I want people to be happy with the deal, maybe I'm just too much of a "nice guy" with a "good heart" to be much of a businessman.

But as I grow older I find that my patience for those who would take advantage of my good nature is wearing thin.

Playing around with CRT projectors has been doubly rewarding. I love a good movie, well presented, and I love the technical aspects of projectors as well. It's taken me to the point where I can, with some help from some subject matter experts,
take a Marquee chassis into performance levels never before seen in not just a Marquee, but, hopefully, to a level never before seen on ANY CRT projector, although I absolutely don't claim that I've developed all the keys to this particular puzzle.
My one great advantage is the HR tubes I was able to buy after spending at least three years begging for the chance to buy them.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Oh, got it. I sent the case molds to Derfla, last post Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Dude, you owe me some case parts or send the molds back.

Chris. I hope you are sitting down...
read this:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321447#321447

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...poop.

Oh well, so be it. Not like anybody can un-burn something!
tschaeikaei

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, that case about the molds seems solved.
At least no one betrayed you in that case.

Quote:
although I absolutely don't claim that I've developed all the keys to this particular puzzle.

That's what i mean. You ask people, read on the forums add your own engineering and finally got everything together to take your projector up
to a better level. But as i know, you share your findings and own developments with us, so everything is fine. I'd like everyone to do so.
Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, true, there was no betrayal going on with the case molds. But he never even told me what happened. I didn't know until today, March 26, 2016.

I found a Vision Two for sale with a very nice black case. I've made an offer on it. It even has the Anvil shipping crate. The front lens cover will of course be wrong, but the rest is good. I'd take it if my offer is accepted. Honestly I don't even care if the projector works or the tube faces are charcoal black. It's the case I want.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I forgot about the fire but I do remember , or seem to remember, that he made one set and it turned out to be a sh*t ton of work. Something like $1K labor at a reasonable hourly rate, not including paint.

Even back then it didn't look like a reasonable price point for this hobby, much less now with V1's turning up in alleys. Sad

here's the last post, looks like a few were made . Price would have $400. for rough molded parts. Paint, final fit n finish left to customer

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24321#24321
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks about the molds, but it is what it is.

I understand about people bitching about used parts. I vaguely remember those sales. I agree if it is blowout then you shouldn't complain that it isn't perfect.

As for Frankenyoke, you did pursue that idea for your own knowledge and chronicled the pursuit. I would be curious what the numbers are considering there were a couple of people that didn't receive any benefit. I think you are barking up the wrong tree hoping to get some compensation for it . I haven't received a dime from Wilsonart Designer White and I bet there are far more people who used that as a screen then yokes. It doesn't bother me much unless someone tries to take credit for the idea, but again it is what it is.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't expect anybody to send me any money. That's just me being a bit grumpy. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: