Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
so 511 feedback and 393 Gain?

I'll try those or something close depending on what I have.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve did you use the 695 on an 02 or 03 vim?

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics back up for the LVPS cap upgrade that Jea Hong Lea did.

First page of this page has the direct links.

nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nash,

Any thoughts on adding a radial Wima film cap in parallel to the decoupling caps in the CLM versus replacing the ceramics entirely?
I was also thinking of doing the same in the VIM as there are various decoupling caps shown that could benefit as well as adding some power filtering to the IC's directly.

There are also a number of other IC's that we replaced on other boards on the VIM, albeit in SMD packages. I know the VIM is pickier with IC changes from reading so what say you on the TL0's etc that exist on the VIM?

When you added Clarity Caps to JB's HVPS did he notice any improvement?

I just got a two channel scope as well. Maybe now someday I can start to work on the issues I have with all those VDM's I killed LOL!

Lastly, I am still having an issue similar to what you had where vertical and angled lines become jagged every so often. Getting worse on brighter lines white especially. This is the only thing driving me nuts now. Any thoughts on where this is originating othe the the Stig board on the back sink? I have yet to do my CLM at all. I have started on the VIM but got as far as installing the 3 IC's mentioned.

These mods we have discussed here have brought life back to the old girl and they have improved the resolution of the image greatly. However I think I am going to have to resort to floor mounting my machine as the tented ceiling in my theater will not allow me to mount the projector close enough the get full raster usage.

James

3x Bryston 3B's
URC Complete Control Medius TX-1000 Remote
HTPC (LGA775 Q6600, 8GB DDR2, 7TB Storage) Mediaportal
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
Audioquest Cable Top to Bottom
9501LC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, I have been actually researching parts, caps in particular for the CLM. Panasonic makes new SMD OsCon hybrid cap i was going to add on top of the ceramics already there or do as I did before and remove them and add the OsCons, these are very low ESR caps and form previous experimentation I love OsCons for filtering. these are B1 and B2 case sizes, there are I think 4 SMD's between some closely placed chips where they wont fit. I am iffy on the Ceramics to be removed, they do filter out high frequency but might have a piezo effect, this is what I learned form some readings on companies application notes.

Justin has not really gotten to do much analysis as he has a few other things he was working on, the dreaded faint line on the vim.

With the squiggly lines pulsing every few seconds it is the timing to the Marquee the H-sync has to be larger than 1us, any lower you get those squigglies.

I am looking at using those SMD Oscons on the Vim as well. now these are the box type SMD not the cans.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that timing something I can adjust?

Great news on the other stuff. I will keep my pants on for the time being. Although I might just do the Panasonic's like we discussed earlier.

Thanks

James

3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in the Radiance, you have a mini correct?

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I do. I will have to look into it then.
3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing in the manual that indicates how to increase the H frequency.

I assume that I need to do this in the custom timing menu and adjust the H frequency above 1MHz?

3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the H sync need to increase most likely, but the radiance does it in a new way now I think, before you could just alter numbers now it is different, not sure.
I never had to use this with my blend set up as the tv one does the timings for me.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Craig will have some insight.

Thanks Nash.

3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge, Back to your VDM POOGEing( Progressive Optimization Of Generic Electronics) Wink

For the 150uh do you think 190-220 would be ok? I have a bunch of those value, they are 220uh but I measured a few and most are about 180-190uh.

Aslo did you change the 1n4003 diodes to the soft recovery ones I listed?

I have to try to repair Justins VDM and CVA and want to try your alterations as well.

I ordered the Flyback from the source James listed so have to wait for them. James how long did it take from china?

I also am thinking about those film SMD caps for all the CLM caps for each chip and the VIM as well,
On the CLM I would do a stack of 150nf( they do not have 100nf) 1uf in film and then add the
47uf PosCons.When I did the CLM mod with the 47uf tants there was no issue at all.
And for the Vim the same value with the Film SMD's but add a 4.7uf PosCon SMD's,
and also replace every other tantalum on the CLM and VIM with the same size case but higher
uf value , how much would depend on the location for what ic they are for. I'd go as large as possible
on the input voltage rails but then just a next value up everywhere else. the specs on the PosCons are
great for ESR and Ripple current for a SMD cap. I feel SMD's are the way to go as they keep the intention
of the original PCB layout in mind. Using radial caps adds parasitic capacitance that can affect the circuit
detrimentally but it is not always the case.

PosCon values and the different series they come in.

http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer/default.aspx?page=3068&highlight=667-6TPU47MSI&catalogculture=en-US&catalog=646

Wish they went higher in voltage and values. I have used Tants of 6.3 volts on the 5 volt rails with no issues, so I wonder how these would fare?

on the 15 volt rails i would not try 16 volt one but the 20vdc ones .

Not sure what surge voltages those rails can produce but 6.3 volts can take a surge up to 7.2 vdc.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Jorge, Back to your VDM POOGEing( Progressive Optimization Of Generic Electronics) Wink

Gee, thanks for the new acronym!!! Very Happy

Nashou66 wrote:
For the 150uh do you think 190-220 would be ok? I have a bunch of those value, they are 220uh but I measured a few and most are about 180-190uh.

You Need to translate the BR909's methods to the Marquee in this case. In the BR909 there's one supply line (+12V) feeding the vertical amplifiers. This one gets filtered with a low frequency Network (1mH = 1000µH plus a 4700µF electrolytic cap). On the Marquee You have a split supply (+15V and -15V) feeding the amps. Therefore You need to add two inductors (1mH to 1.5mH for each rail). Fortunately there's enough space for it (see picture). I took two that I scrapped from dead power supplys. The ones You mention have an inductance which is too low.

Nashou66 wrote:
Also did you change the 1n4003 diodes to the soft recovery ones I listed?

No. That wouldn't improve anything. Diodes D701, D801 and D901 should be left as they are. They decouple the booster section of the amplifiers (artificial boosting of the power supply) and the STV9379 Datasheet doesn't Point out any Special requirements for those.

Nashou66 wrote:
Wish they went higher in voltage and values. I have used Tants of 6.3 volts on the 5 volt rails with no issues, so I wonder how these would fare? on the 15 volt rails i would not try 16 volt one but the 20vdc ones. Not sure what surge voltages those rails can produce but 6.3 volts can take a surge up to 7.2 vdc.

I would always maintain a security margin of 40-50% (e.g. 10V for 5V lines, 16V for 10V lines, 25V for 15V lines etc). For Tants I would maybe go even higher as their margin between rated voltage and smoke signs is smaller than for other caps.

Regards,
barclay66

VDM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  246.09 KB
 Viewed:  11537 Time(s)

VDM.jpg

View user's photo album (25 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand about the 15 volt rails and the 1mH, but for the 5 volt rails you list 150uH so would the 220uH ones I have that measure about 180-190uH work for those rails?

Ok so the film SMD caps would be fine for the 5 volt rails for the chip decoupling caps .

Now what about those PosCon caps they are more like OsCons than tants. And since i put hundreds of hours with the 6.3 volt tants
on another CLM i had with no issues I still wonder if these new style caps would hold up better than tants.

I guess I could try and find out Wink

And are those Shields over those ic's?

nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed you used sockets for the op amps, did that affect the operation at all?

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I also noticed you used sockets for the op amps, did that affect the operation at all?

Nope. Everything works fine. I used high quality sockets.

What You call shields are heat sinks (clips).

The inductors would work fine for the +/-5V rails.

With the PosCons You really will have to try them...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too mike was looking at the smaller SMD inductors. I see you added them at each Channel. Think that might be overkill or is it necessary?

Also those Black 33uf tants, look like 16 volts correct?

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of the inductors was very necessary to decrease the high frequency noise from getting into the vert, CVA and Stig amps and vice versa.

There is a ton of noise on the rails, some get's there directly from some of the modules, so in better decoupling the modules, I was able to lower the overall noise on the rails. With the bigger benefit being better performing boards (vert,stig, cva) on the large heatsink, because the high frequency noise that rides on the rails also gets into those amplifiers, and they actually amplify some of it.

I'll take a picture inside of one of my CRT's later (need batteries for my camera) and you'll see why those inductors are needed. Without them, I would not be able to get those super small and tight one pixel lines at the 1920X1440 /60hz resolution (234mhz).

At the higher scan rates, the cleaner the DC is on the amplifiers, the more defined the image will be.

Actually, the noise that is solved from when I put the jumper on the convergence board to ground, is to help suppress the noise that is being transmitted (onto their cables and back onto the rails) by those amplifiers. So with the inductors in place, there's no need for the jumper. Plus with the amplifiers not transmitting that noise anymore, the amplifiers run cooler and there's less noise is in the image.

Yes, the tants are 33uf/16v
CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Flybacks only took 2-3 weeks from the day of order to my door. I ordered a bunch of chips from UT Source and one of them held up shipment a bit.

I have not touched much at all on my PJ. So if you are planning on implementing some of these things I will be watching closely.

Jorge Thanks as always for sharing.

You too Mike. Thanks for sharing.

3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 60 of 64
Jump to: