Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
gjaky wrote:
draganm wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out why some MArquee video neck boards run hot on the big 400V power resistor? I thought at first it was leaking bypass caps, the two AL can 22uf/85V factor ones are terrible (and under-rated), but putting in new 22uf /160V doesn't help.

Bad diode further up the chain?

Does the board working otherwise?
yes, and that's the weird part, the board otherwise runs fine and will continue to run for hours on end. It just gets hot, I mean the resistors are too hot to touch. On other VNB's the resistor is just warm. Confused
View user's photo album (2 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
gjaky wrote:
draganm wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out why some MArquee video neck boards run hot on the big 400V power resistor? I thought at first it was leaking bypass caps, the two AL can 22uf/85V factor ones are terrible (and under-rated), but putting in new 22uf /160V doesn't help.

yes, and that's the weird part, the board otherwise runs fine and will continue to run for hours one end. It just gets hot, I mean the resistors are too hot to touch. On other VNB's the resistor is just warm. Confused

What about the heatsink is that remain cold (with no signal)?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think the heat is due to tolerances between the NPN and PNP Motorola transistors. The VNB amplifier section is designed a cascode current amplifier which produces some amount of quiescent current. This 'waste' current is lower the better symmetry the amplifier stage has (less heat). I don't think they did a preselection process on those Motorola transistors. So it's pure luck if each transistor in the complementary pair has a near to equal hfe (amplification parameter) or not...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much gain is in the video amp chain on the VIM board?

I'm...investigating something. It may be useful. The answer to my question will help... a lot.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Does anyone know how much gain is in the video amp chain on the VIM board?

I'm...investigating something. It may be useful. The answer to my question will help... a lot.

Theoretically VIM has less than unity gain, since the input signal can be 1V, but the VNB needs 0.7V input signal for full drive.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
draganm wrote:
gjaky wrote:
draganm wrote:

yes, and that's the weird part, the board otherwise runs fine and will continue to run for hours one end. It just gets hot, I mean the resistors are too hot to touch. On other VNB's the resistor is just warm. Confused

What about the heatsink is that remain cold (with no signal)?
well you can't run the PJ with no signal, there is some kind of default "internally generated video" that has to run all the time to keep the beam moving. I don't know off the top of my head what this on start up but it's pretty low, maybe 15khz?
I guess the question is "does the problem VNB get hotter" when a higher scan-rate is introduced. I don't think it does, the VNB's that run hot will do so just sitting there idling with no external video present.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64
Page 64 of 64
Jump to: