Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Kim, What About an Analog Blend Box or Two?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Kim, What About an Analog Blend Box or Two? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kim,

OK, this came up awhile ago, but I can't remember where it went. Why can't we do blending in the analog domain? It seems fairly straight forward if we are willing to use PJ controls and waste bandwidth to achieve what we want. Let me see if I can communicate this clearly then you can tell me if it makes sense. Smile

Basically, I'm looking for a box that looks like a simple 1x2 distribution amp; however, we could do the blend boxes as two boxes that sit between a distribution amp and the PJs. To make it simpler, lets say we do that. So, I send a signal to a 1x2 distribution amp. I take those two signals and feed them to a "left" box and a "right" box.

The boxes basically have a preset contrast modulation curve in them. So the left box tapers the contrast in a curve on the right side of the image and the right box tapers the left side. Now, they are both getting the whole picture, but they really only need about 3/4 of the picture. So, we let the modulation start point be adjustable. So, you can adjust the left and right for a perfect blend point.

So, Each PJ is getting the same image--using all the bandwidth for 1920x1080 or 1920x817 (however they user has set it up). This is the downside, since if fact, our little right or left box has modulated the contrast down to nothing, or basically a black pixel for about 1/4 of the picture. So, it would waste bandwidth, but we can use the projector's controls (blanking, H Pos, H Phase) to "get rid" of the part of the picture we are not using.

Am I crazy thinking this is not too hard and not too expensive, or am I smoking crack? When can you have it to me to test? Very Happy

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

In the end it went nowhere mostly because of feature creep that could only be performed in the digital domain. Your idea is sound and seems technically possible. I am pretty sure that when I start to design numerous technical problems will rear their ugly heads but it sure could be worth a try.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kim, What About an Analog Blend Box or Two? Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
OK, this came up awhile ago, but I can't remember where it went.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13489#13489
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Kim, What About an Analog Blend Box or Two? Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
Person99 wrote:
OK, this came up awhile ago, but I can't remember where it went.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13489#13489

The search master! Thanks. It did got to what Kim said, features which could only be done in the digital domain.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:
Dave,

In the end it went nowhere mostly because of feature creep that could only be performed in the digital domain. Your idea is sound and seems technically possible. I am pretty sure that when I start to design numerous technical problems will rear their ugly heads but it sure could be worth a try.
Kim

So, what do I have to do to get you thinking about it? Smile

If you had to ballpark it, what would an all in one box (distribution amp with left and right) cost and what would just a right box and a left box cost? Frankly, I think cost is going to be the driver of whether it is worth doing or not (but I'll take a 1 off--Smile).

If you would be willing to entertain it, I could see about borrowing Dan's D50 and I can get my hands on another D50 locally, so I could do some testing. And, I might be able to get two BG 808 machines. Smile

beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost would not be that high, probably not more than a RTC2200 for a 1 in 2 out.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Kim, What About an Analog Blend Box or Two? Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Kim,

Am I crazy thinking this is not too hard and not too expensive, or am I smoking crack? Very Happy

Dave.....can't you do both?

Walt
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kim, What About an Analog Blend Box or Two? Reply with quote

aspec2 wrote:
Person99 wrote:
Kim,

Am I crazy thinking this is not too hard and not too expensive, or am I smoking crack? Very Happy

Dave.....can't you do both?

Walt

Dave would end up selling the projector's to cover his habit Wink

Kim I really hope you give this a try !
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is something that I just thought about that may or may not be a problem - even if we use the projector's blanking to cut off the non-active image area, in order to use the phosphor effectively, that blanked area would have to be nearly completely off the side of the tube face. Better of course than displaying active video on the side of the tube, but I'm not sure if there would be any long-term issues of having the beam scanning 20-30% of the picture width on the side of the tube?

I can say though, if you're talking the same price level as the RTC2200 (which I already have - you do fantastic work Kim!!), I would get one just to play with blending with my two Sony 12xx's.
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unused portion of the picture will be black so I don't think there is any danger of lighting up the side of the tube.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,

If you could build this blend box and sell it for the price of the kimcoder I'm sure you would have lots of interest.
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you could build this blend box and sell it for the price of the kimcoder I'm sure you would have lots of interest.

I'd say there would be lots of interest even if it cost $500 or so.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:
Dave,

Kim

I would be willing to send you the blender I have for research or whatever you needed it for.

Bruce
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this dead again?
beun

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not dead but delayed until I can the TC1500 designed finished.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh good way to do thing's. One at a time.

I really need to learn how to do that.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose wrote:
Quote:

are we talking a blend box like blendzilla????

I'd pay way more than 500.00 clams!

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Quote:

No, we are talking about a blend box that does the blending in the analog domain (unlike a blendzilla). But, you could accomplish the same thing as you can with the blendzilla.

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Quote:

No, we are talking about a blend box that does the blending in the analog domain (unlike a blendzilla). But, you could accomplish the same thing as you can with the blendzilla.

Ummmmmm, whats the diff??? Neutral

View user's photo album (3 photos)
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this project?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: