Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Gone Baby Gone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Gone Baby Gone Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone see this movie? I rate it as one of the best movies I've seen. Who would have thought Ben Affleck actually had talent.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it but I've also heard it's extremely highly rated. I have it on my "recent" buy list:

We Own the Night (Sony)
In the Valley of Elah (Warner)
Michael Clayton (Warner)
Becoming Jane (Buena Vista)
Gone Baby Gone (Buena Vista)

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that thing had so many plot twists my back hurt for a week. EXCELLENT movie. Most movies are predictable, that one was not.

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit. Another movie I HAVE to buy Evil or Very Mad

I am an iconoclast
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I haven't seen it but I've also heard it's extremely highly rated. I have it on my "recent" buy list:

We Own the Night (Sony)
In the Valley of Elah (Warner)
Michael Clayton (Warner)
Becoming Jane (Buena Vista)
Gone Baby Gone (Buena Vista)

Kal

I really like Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg, especially Joaquin Phoenix. But not sure I'm going to rent that movie. It didn't get very good revues: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/we_own_the_night/

In the Valley of Elah got a LITTLE better revues, enough that I'll definitely rent it. Big Tommy Lee Jones fan.

Michael Clayton got great revues, and is a no-brainer.

Becoming Jane also didn't get very good revues: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/becoming_jane/

I really like Rotten Tomatoes method of rating movies. The only time they miss is on the high side. Sometimes I'll get movie that rated very high, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why. But it's very rare I enjoy a movie that's rated low. Those tend to all be bad, at least to my taste
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats6x7 wrote:
Yes, that thing had so many plot twists my back hurt for a week. EXCELLENT movie. Most movies are predictable, that one was not.

Exactly! I've watched enough movies in my life that I can usually see where a the plot's going, which ruins the movie for me. Not this movie! It surprised me over and over.

Why can't there be more intelligent movies like this? There's got to be enough smart movie buffs to justify making this type of film. Sure, they'll never be blockbusters, but you would think there'd be enough of an audience that they'd make money.
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely 5stars. Very good movie. Thumbs Up
View user's photo album (24 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
I really like Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg, especially Joaquin Phoenix. But not sure I'm going to rent that movie. It didn't get very good revues: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/we_own_the_night/

In the Valley of Elah got a LITTLE better revues, enough that I'll definitely rent it. Big Tommy Lee Jones fan.

Michael Clayton got great revues, and is a no-brainer.

Becoming Jane also didn't get very good revues: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/becoming_jane/

I really like Rotten Tomatoes method of rating movies. The only time they miss is on the high side. Sometimes I'll get movie that rated very high, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why. But it's very rare I enjoy a movie that's rated low. Those tend to all be bad, at least to my taste

You know, at first I really liked the Rotten Tomotoes way of rating. What they do is a take all of the "pro" reviews and decide if it was either thumbs up or thumbs down for each of them and give a percentage. So a 70% score means 70% of reviewers gave it thumbs up.

The problem is, this ranking system tends to either give really high or really low scores. Not much in the middle. Think about it: If a *really* bad movie comes out, most reviewers are going to hate it, so it gets a really low score (0%-30%). Conversely, if a really good movie comes out, almost everyone gives it a thumbs up and you get a high score (70-100%). So those movies are easy to avoid/recommend

It's the middle ground that's that's the problem. Just because 50% of people liked something doesn't mean you will or won't like it.

I still use rotten tomatoes to get a general assessment. If it scores, say, under 30% then I won't touch that movie with a 10 foot pole. If it scores between 30-70 I consider it, if it's over 70 then I'll probably like it no matter what.

Some of my favourite movies score between that 30-70 range however so you have to be careful!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. "Becoming Jane" is for the wife... Wink (She liked the "Jane Austin Book Club" which came out last month and RT scored it lower than "Becoming Jane" so I can't NOT get it for her).

Kal

Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Becoming Jane got really good revues, I would rent it. It really doesn't really matter to me what kind of movie it is, as long as it's a GOOD film. Although I don't rent gay themed films. Not that I have anything against them. It's just not a subject that's of interest to me. Also certain foreign films don't rent, although there are quite a few I do.

Because my viewing tastes are quite broad, I usually don't rent anything that didn't get at least 65-70% positive revues. Even being that selective, there's usually more movies that rate high, than I have time to watch.

Like I said, Rotten Tomatoes rating scale works well for my taste. I like that it's the average of several critic's opinions. You're not depending on what one guy thinks. If 90 out of 100 critics like a movie, it's probably a really good movie. Same holds true if a good percentage of them don't like it. If quite a few of the reviewers think a film is bad, I'll probably agree with them. Rarely have I watched a movie that rated below 65-70% that I liked.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll rent the lowest rated cheese I can find. Or grab it from the bargain bin. You gotta love a bad movie. Except for chick flicks. Oh and Kevin Costner movies. Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought it....now it needs to hurry up and get here so I can see what all the fuss is. I watched the trailer after y'all were carrying on about it and I was hooked. The trailer was good. And as for that crazy rotten tomatoes site, I bought the Host based on the glowing reviews over there and I was underwhelmed, and boy did I get laughed at by the wife for that one. Did anybody else see it? Maybe I just don't get Korean movies. I dunno....

I am an iconoclast
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I'll rent the lowest rated cheese I can find. Or grab it from the bargain bin. You gotta love a bad movie. Except for chick flicks. Oh and Kevin Costner movies. Smile

If it works for you, cool. But man I don't get it. Bad is bad. I don't even like campy bad. Maybe if I smoked dope I'd feel differently about it. Mr. Green
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

124 critics liked Host, and 11 didn't. You and your wife agreed with the 11. I agreed with the 124. I liked it.

But sometimes I won't like a highly rated movie either. I recently watched Once. 134 critics liked it, 4 did not. I thought it was pretty lame.

Both of these movies are foreign. Those are the films, at least for me, that are the most likely to be high rated films that I don't like.

Then again, you have to ask yourself, why did so many critics like it and I didn't? Maybe you and I just didn't get it. Maybe your's and my movie taste isn't very sophisticated.
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my book the story comes first. That is why I disagree with a lot of the critics. It seems that they put the cinematography and acting way ahead of the story. They think that if the scenery and the way the director has the scenes framed as well as the acting are great, then it is a good movie even if the story just completely SUCKS.
View user's photo album (24 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Then again, you have to ask yourself, why did so many critics like it and I didn't?

Because your secret identity is the 5th dentist? Mr. Green

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:
Then again, you have to ask yourself, why did so many critics like it and I didn't?

Isn't that the 5th columnist?

No wait that was at the strip club. Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papalek wrote:
In my book the story comes first. That is why I disagree with a lot of the critics. It seems that they put the cinematography and acting way ahead of the story. They think that if the scenery and the way the director has the scenes framed as well as the acting are great, then it is a good movie even if the story just completely SUCKS.

I haven't really thought about it, but I haven't noticed the acting/directing/cinematography bias you mention. It seems to me critics like or dislike a movie for an assortment of reasons, including the script.

Someone on AVS mentioned that critics have different taste than your average movie customer because they've seen so many movies. They have a much larger pool of viewing experience. That makes many movies that would seem fresh and interesting to most, stale and repetitive to a critic.

That makes sense. I guess for most people it really boils down to how many movies you've seen. I've seen quite a few, not anywhere near as many as an experienced critic, but I've seen a lot of films. I guess at this point I'm a bit jaded and hard to please.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:

That's pretty funny! I had to think about it for a minute before I got it. I think I would have got it quicker if you'd had said doctor instead of dentist.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
JustGreg wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:

That's pretty funny! I had to think about it for a minute before I got it. I think I would have got it quicker if you'd had said doctor instead of dentist.

You don't remember the Trident commercials dating back to the late 70's? Shocked There was one made in the last couple years I got a big kick out of...the first 4 dentists gave Trident a thumbsup and just as the 5th was getting ready to thumbs down he was konked on the back of the head and knocked out.

"Sugarless gum is recommended by four out of five dentists for their patients who chew gum." The ad campaign is a result of a July 1976 study of a cross-section of 1200 dentists. 85% agreed sugarless was the way to go. I can't find any data on the other 15%. I figure it ranged from; No Opinion, Makes no difference, and a few that recommended you periodically dip your cud in a bag of sugar to recharge the sugary goodness. The latter probably saw their patients on a monthly basis until the patients were toof-less. Mr. Green

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: