Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Black AT Material

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Black AT Material Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm looking for something other than the black GOM material to cover my false wall because it looks like burlap. Ecrabb suggested using speaker grille material so I went to Simply Speakers and it looks to be the right color but I'm wondering if it will be too transparent visually. Not sure if you'll be able to make out the silhouette of the speakers and items behind the false wall frame. Any other suggestions for a black material with a fine weave that won't bee see through?

Last edited by jbmeyer13 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used microfibre from a fabric store. I built 2 x 4 frames, stretched it over, and put insulation behind 1/2 of it. It worked great, used black screws and washers to hold the frames to the studs, and that worked great.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up picking up 200" of Royalty 3 Black velvet from Joann's fabric. BigMouthinDC used this in his theater and really likes it. I still have all of my Syfabrics velvet left over from previous theater and was considering using it but he said the Royalty 3 breathes better so I decided it was worth the $65 to buy new material. Should be able to finish building my panels tonight and then will begin covering with the velvet.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
I ended up picking up 200" of Royalty 3 Black velvet from Joann's fabric. BigMouthinDC used this in his theater and really likes it. I still have all of my Syfabrics velvet left over from previous theater and was considering using it but he said the Royalty 3 breathes better so I decided it was worth the $65 to buy new material. Should be able to finish building my panels tonight and then will begin covering with the velvet.

How did that Royalty3 work out for you, Justin?

Usually velvet is too expensive to use other than on a front-wall, or selective critical spots. Though it sounds like you got a good price (~$12/yd?). Do you feel like it was worth the premium over something cheaper?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think black speaker grille cloth would have worked just fine. You don't normally see the speaker drivers behind black grille cloth, so why should you see stuff behind the false wall? As long as it's dark back there, I doubt you would see anything.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:

How did that Royalty3 work out for you, Justin?

Usually velvet is too expensive to use other than on a front-wall, or selective critical spots. Though it sounds like you got a good price (~$12/yd?). Do you feel like it was worth the premium over something cheaper?

From a visual stand point it was definitely worth it. I've done some minimal testing and thus far it seems to work quite well but i haven't yet treated the wall behind the screen or watched reference material. I'm finishing up painting now and plan to calibrate the pj on friday with kurts help. By this time next week things should be fully functional;-)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
From a visual stand point it was definitely worth it. I've done some minimal testing and thus far it seems to work quite well but i haven't yet treated the wall behind the screen or watched reference material. I'm finishing up painting now and plan to calibrate the pj on friday with kurts help. By this time next week things should be fully functional;-)

That sounds good. Congrats on making it to the finish line!

Soon you'll be able to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors. Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black panels really improve the perceived contrast (along with the black ceiling) so the image really does take on a liquid characteristic. Thus far I have no complaints with the sound being muffled or the high end being clipped; granted I haven't used any diagnostic tools to measure anything. The room definitely needs diffusion to reach it's potential so hopefully I'll start working in that direction across the next few months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: