Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Can we get IGNORE lists ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Can we get IGNORE lists ?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Can we get an ignore list ?
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nosey..Are you getting nastygrams from someone?

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we get IGNORE lists ?? Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
Can we get an ignore list ?

dude, im sorry Crying or Very sad

View user's photo album (3 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we can ignore PM's or threads?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, please tell... who are you looking to ignore? Wink

I've never really liked the idea of ignore lists as it often makes threads impossible to follow if you have any number of people on your ignore list.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yeah, please tell... who are you looking to ignore? ;)

I've never really liked the idea of ignore lists as it often makes threads impossible to follow if you have any number of people on your ignore list.

Kal

I'm not getting anything nasty sent to me, that doesn't bother me, I've used the "IGNORE" list at the other forum for one single know it all poster, and he's here too(piling up stupid posts as fast as he can type) and it would just be nice to remove that blight from my own version of this forum too.

I'm sure there are LOTS of people with a similar view....
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone else find this useful?

I want to make sure before I consider the amount of work involved. There are some pretty good mods to add ignore lists but this one is far-reaching and with almost 100 different other mods, it would probably take me a couple of days of testing to make sure it would not have any adverse affects.

Kal

Moose

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the mystery begins - who could it be?

Fortunately, as stupid as my posts can sometimes be, I'm not piling them up.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Would anyone else find this useful?

I want to make sure before I consider the amount of work involved. There are some pretty good mods to add ignore lists but this one is far-reaching and with almost 100 different other mods, it would probably take me a couple of days of testing to make sure it would not have any adverse affects.

Kal

If its not an easy add in component that is packaged with the standard software, don't bother. I'll just IGNORE the old fashioned way....

I had assumed the forum software package would have that option automatically, just needed turning on or plugging in or whatever it is you do with software...
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be talking about me...I post alot but don't know sh*t, and freely admit it. Mr. Green

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who he's talking about. I can't guess because too many of us on the forum fit the description Razz
View user's photo album (1 photos)
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really only one "poster" I can think of that is consistently opinionated enough and is posting alot lately to fit that bill. Personally I like his, I mean their posts. As strongly as they are worded I still find it interesting enough to skim over and usually glean something useful. I understand how some folks would want to ignore those postings, but me when I see that name, I gotta click to see whats going on. Twisted Evil

I am an iconoclast
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
If its not an easy add in component that is packaged with the standard software, don't bother. I'll just IGNORE the old fashioned way....

Nope. Unfortunately there's no included option for that. You have to change a bunch of code and since a lot of the code has other mods in it already you have to make the changes 'intelligently'. Then you have to create new database tables that'll store the list of ignores that each person what to keep, etc.

Quote:
I had assumed the forum software package would have that option automatically, just needed turning on or plugging in or whatever it is you do with software...

I wish it was always that easy! Everything you see here has been turned "on" already... Smile
Out of the box this software (phpBB) is pretty ugly. It doesn't even support attachments and email notifications didn't even include the contents of the post!

If you're curious, there's a sticky at the top of Forum feedback that lists all the mods that I've added. Here's a cut and paste (the newest mods are listed first so most of the 'meat' is at the bottom):

• User name search in memberlist page added.
  • Jump to forum drop-down doesn't work - fixed!
  • Added a forum quick search.
  • Added a count to show how many users are in each of the forums (includes guests and registered users).
  • Added a feature so that people can subscribe to entire forums to be notified of new threads.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: Add a printer friendly option so that people can print out threads in one shot.
  • Added little online/offline icons to posts so that people can see if someone's online quickly.
  • Increased number of personal photo album pics from 30 to 45.
  • Increased avatar size from 150x150 to 150x200 (width x height).
  • Added a better CAPTCHA to stop spammers from auto-registering.
  • Added complete set of forum stats for all to see.
  • Added a few extra fields to a user's profile page for all to, including Last Visit Time, Last Post Time, and Signature. Also added Last Visit Time to the memberlist page (sortable).
  • Posting, editing posts, or voting now redirects you back to thread. Confirmation page is skipped.
  • Log on automatically checkbox now checked by default.
  • Display forum description in the view forum page.
  • Thread email notification now defaults to on for new users.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: Add a new 'View your watched topics' page.
  • Removed the dangerous 'Delete All' button from the PM menu.
  • Cleaned up and added some new forum statistics on the main page.
  • User profile page now shows how many photos user has uploaded to their photo album.
  • The Photo Album link in posts now only shows up when the user has uploaded photos. Hover over the link for the number of photos.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: Ability to selectively turn on/off the word censor.
  • Error logging system that logs all critical errors and emails the admin.
  • Display last post per forum on the index page.
  • Announcements and sticky posts are coloured differently to make them easier to skip over for frequent visitors.
  • Added a feature to allow for a global announcement at the top of all pages.
  • More advanced user searching (admin only tool).
  • Display last 10 posts on the main www.curtpalme.com site to entice non-forum regulars to visit the forum.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: A new recent topics list added to main page.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: A new 'View All Threads' page added to make it easier to keep track of new threads across all forums.
  • Display top 10 posters on main index page.
  • Display random photo gallery photo on main index page.
  • Show a couple of sample photo album images per user on main photo index page (first photo, last photo).
  • Advanced features to disable the forum for testing (but allow admins to access).
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: Custom profile fields (projector & HT equipment) added. Projector type is displayed in posts as well.
  • Poster name in posts are linked to the user's profile page.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: Increased file attachment space for private messages and forum posts.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: Created a private Club Members forum.
  • CLUB MEMBERS ONLY: Advertising removed.
  • Completely automated Club Membership feature with payment through PayPal. See here for a complete list of special features.
  • Advanced backup features.
  • Added a (somewhat useless, hardly used) chat room!
  • A Spel Cheker has bean instaled.
  • A bunch of SEO (search engine optimization) stuff so that Google and other robots can crawl this forum correctly & more efficiently.
  • Replying to PM's now automatically quotes the last PM by default. No need to click the "quote" button (which has been removed).
  • Removed forum name (Curt Palme CRT Projectors) from page title tag so that post or forum name in obvious in taskbar with window minimized.
  • Dynamic signatures. I thought that signatures were are posted as part of the post itself so that changing your sig only affects future posts, but this is not true. Problem closed.
  • A photo album area where users can post photos/info on their setups. Comments can be left about photos.
  • Avatars are not seen at all by guest users. You must register and log in to see avatars.
  • Per user setting to allow people to turn the display of avatars and sigs on/off.
  • Rotating Banner ads.
  • Security fix for AOL users that have problems staying logged on...
  • Redirect back to thread after editing/posting instead of the confirmation screen. There is currently no good mod for this that doesn't screw up something else. Instead, the wait time's been reduced from 3 sections to 0 on the confirmation screen.
  • Quick reply for posting quick followups. Regular reply needs to be used if you want to get fancy...
  • Better email notification. You now see who posted and the contents of the post in the email.
  • Fix the bug that causes people to appear to have to log in twice if they go to http://curtpalme.com/forum instead of the more correct http://www.curtpalme.com/forum. If you're having problems logging in, delete your curtpalme.com cookies or better yet, all cookies.
  • Created a secondary test forum for my use only.
  • Attachments are now possible. Very full featured.

Kal

dculberson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got to be me. I have 123 posts to my name, all made in only 14 months. That's ridiculous.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's really only one "poster" I can think of that is consistently opinionated enough and is posting alot lately to fit that bill. Personally I like his, I mean their posts. As strongly as they are worded I still find it interesting enough to skim over and usually glean something useful. I understand how some folks would want to ignore those postings, but me when I see that name, I gotta click to see whats going on. Twisted Evil

OK,

I've narrowed it down; it's either Dave (person99) or Ron (ronholm) Mr. Green

Tell me I'm right Wink

Edit: or Phil Smith Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Zebu Fellenz on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose wrote:

\

I know, I know, analogrocks. Thumbs Up Mr. Green

(I am kidding!)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dculberson wrote:
It's got to be me. I have 123 posts to my name, all made in only 14 months. That's ridiculous.

Oh I don't know. I think I had a couple more post's that than in 14 months Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Moose wrote:

\

I know, I know, analogrocks. Thumbs Up Mr. Green

(I am kidding!)

Shocked

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said i was sorry!

WTH?

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by Bruce 09 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:53 pm; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: