Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How to test PreAmp and Amp outputs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: How to test PreAmp and Amp outputs Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am clueless in this area. Can anybody get me pointed in the right direction? I am trying to track down a gremlin and want to test the output on the front channel of my preamp, and then the out put of the amp. I do not have a scope, but will buy one if I need to. I do have a decent multimeter. And a hammer. Shocked

I am an iconoclast
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably narrow down what you're seeking by simply flipping preamp outputs. (ie left to right, right to left).

If you flip the preamp outputs going to the power amp, and hte same channel stays wonky, then it's in the power amp. If the problem channel flips, then it's in the preamp.

Don't forget to check bad cables, connections, dirty switches and pots, etc.

What exactly is the problem?
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably obvious, but be certain to turn off the amplifier before switching connectors, else you may end up with more things wrong than you started with.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks moose that would suck, it did occur to me.

Thanks Curt, You know the problem is wacked. It has happened on each of three now Lexicon processors, DC1, DC2 and now MC1. The front left channel will intermittantly stop producing. I have switched amps, switched outputs, switched wires, replaced wires, switched speakers. The only thing I haven't done is rewire the in wall wiring to the front left channel, and the only reason I haven't done that yet besides the PIA factor, is that I bypassed all those wires and processing (Lexicon-Behringer 8024 in RTA mode, I like the pretty jumping lights-Amp-speaker) and the problem is still sometimes there sometimes not. The speaker works, the amp is good, both channels.

It just seems to me if it was a short in the wiring, something else would pop. The speaker, the amp, the 8024. Why only the Front Left channel. I guess I am trying to see how to measure if any signal at all is coming out of the processor. Thanks Curt. I appreciate the help.

I am an iconoclast
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies_70 wrote:
Thanks moose that would suck, it did occur to me.

Thanks Curt, You know the problem is wacked. It has happened on each of three now Lexicon processors, DC1, DC2 and now MC1. The front left channel will intermittantly stop producing. I have switched amps, switched outputs, switched wires, replaced wires, switched speakers. The only thing I haven't done is rewire the in wall wiring to the front left channel, and the only reason I haven't done that yet besides the PIA factor, is that I bypassed all those wires and processing (Lexicon-Behringer 8024 in RTA mode, I like the pretty jumping lights-Amp-speaker) and the problem is still sometimes there sometimes not. The speaker works, the amp is good, both channels.

It just seems to me if it was a short in the wiring, something else would pop. The speaker, the amp, the 8024. Why only the Front Left channel. I guess I am trying to see how to measure if any signal at all is coming out of the processor. Thanks Curt. I appreciate the help.

Hope some critter hasn't chewed your wires in the wall. Had that happen to a neighbours TV cable.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its easy to string temporary wiring as a test.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
rabies_70

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope its not a critter too. Don't think it is though.

And the funny thing is joust, the problem is intermittent. Sometimes when the whole system is hooked up, its fine other times, only front L channel drops out. The source is irrelevant. Other times with temporary wiring it works fine too other times no.

I guess I'm just trying to see if the op amp is failing by checking the output at the L front with a tool, I just have no clue what I should be looking for and I'm sure I'm not even using the correct terms. I just think there should be some sort of voltage coming out of there and thought maybe there is a standard way of checking it that one of you guru's know since I am pretty ignorant in these matters and google searching was leading me in circles of noy quite what I was looking for. Thanks again for the help.

I am an iconoclast
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, a meter won't do squat here. You really do need a scope for that. Good scopes are dirt cheap on eBay:

This old Heatkit would do fine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LABORATORY-OSCILLOSCOPE_W0QQitemZ320219672645QQihZ011QQcategoryZ104247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is way newer and more than you need, but the price is right:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Protek-model-6502-20-mhz-oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ290207918001QQihZ019QQcategoryZ104247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And one that I want:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tektronix-TDS3014B-Color-Digital-Phosphor-Oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ300200324216QQihZ020QQcategoryZ104247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Very Happy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

And one that I want:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tektronix-TDS3014B-Color-Digital-Phosphor-Oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ300200324216QQihZ020QQcategoryZ104247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Very Happy

Gawersh dat's purdy.

tektronic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.59 KB
 Viewed:  26312 Time(s)

tektronic.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

And one that I want:

Very Happy

Gawersh dat's purdy.

What kind of memory card does that thing use? Shocked I don't think I've ever seen one that big. Wink

I guess ebay would be the place to find those 3.5" floppies also.

nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

And one that I want:

Very Happy

Gawersh dat's purdy.

I have a similar one to that. Mine is the TDS3052. Its the 500Mhz 2 channels version. Smile

Chris
View user's photo album (2 photos)
rabies_70

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK curt, after staying up late last night and cramming everything I could find on o scopes into my brain, will the 20mHz really be good enough for me and my desire to always have the right tool "just in case", or will I be better off getting a 100mHz scope. I see a bunch of the TEKTRONIX 465. Is that because they common, or because they are to old, or junk, or....

I understand from what I read that the 20mHz would certainly fill the bill to test my problem, but will that bandwidth limit me in a way as of yet unknown. Personal rudimentary electronics testing is apparently going to be in my toolbox soon and I don't want to limit its usefulness

I am an iconoclast
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With audio, you're only measuring up to 20 Khz, not Mhz, so the frequency response of the scope is way higher than what you're measuring. For video, 5Mhz is all you really need (watch Person99 come in and argue that one..Wink)

That is of course unless you're Mike PArker and are engineering better video circuits. For troubleshooting, something basic and generic is fine.

I am personally not big on Tek or HP. They are usually way overdesigned, but that makes servicing a bitch as well. My main scope is a 35 Mhz Leader that I bought for $1200 in 1982 or so. Came with a free Fluke 73 multimeter. It's died once, a bad solder joint on the power supply board. I use it weekly, usually daily. I have a higher end 100Mhz dual trace scope, but I'm so used to the Leader that the newer scope sits on my audio bench, used once in a blue moon.

Buy a 20Mhz scope for now, buy something higher end if you really want to, but it's not required. Unless you're designing something, with troubleshooting, you're almost always just looking to see if a waveform is there or not, you're not looking for stuff like risetimes which would need a higher end scope for.
rabies_70

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET thanks curt....ray

Oh yeah, check your paypal account....Lunch is on me today. I appreciate the help

I am an iconoclast
rabies_70

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. Anybody knowing about O scopes. Can I use any BNC type probes for my 20MHz scope, i.e. can I use a set of 100MHz probes for a 20MHz scope. Thanks...

I am an iconoclast
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies_70 wrote:
Hey. Anybody knowing about O scopes. Can I use any BNC type probes for my 20MHz scope, i.e. can I use a set of 100MHz probes for a 20MHz scope. Thanks...

I was just looking into this last night, having received my ebay-purchased scope and found it to be missing the probes. (Grr, ebay sellers.)

It looks like you can, you just need to make sure the probe has the trim pot to adjust impedance. Most apparently do, but I came across a few that were fixed. Then you just calibrate the probe using the facilities of your scope intended for that purpose. See the second heading here, and/or your probe manual.

That's what I've got so far, anyway. I'm waiting for a response from the seller about the missing stuff before I order probes for mine.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this tip

http://www.trainingdept.com/files/TIPS/FEB08_Tip.pdf

how to use a tone generator, actually the tone detector, to test audio RCA jacks.

rabies_70

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THATS what I'm talking about! Already have those guys, all I have to build is that thing. THANKS!!!!!

I am an iconoclast
mrbud

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

1. Do you have a " toner " ?

If so.. do this...

1. Attach a cable to the preamp output on your amplifier.. then with your toner at the other end of the cable you will be able to hear ( through the toner ) the output from the preamp... The reason you are attaching a cable is to get away from the back of the unit a bit.. The toner will tend to pick up signals from about 12-18 inches away depending on the strength of the signal...

I would do this when the ouput goes away .. this will tell you if it is truly the ouput from the preamp or something else.

Another thing that could be going on is...

When your speaker hits a lower bass note ( mains set to large for example ) then the speaker could actually be showing a short to the amp. which then could be cutting off the output.. Resetting after it doesn't see the short again.. and then working till it sees that low bass note again....

You can check this with a multimeter.. check speaker at rest .. should be around 4-8 ohms ( depending on speaker ) .. with meter in place .. gently push cone for " woofer " in and see if meter goes to a short reading or still shows resistance..

Hope this helps,

MrBud

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these tips have helped tremendously. I am looking forward to the next time something funky happens Confused

I am an iconoclast
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: