Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HD DVD fire sale watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: HD DVD fire sale watch Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I figured it might be good to have a thread containing links to fire sale deals on new HD DVDs. I think www.DeepDiscounts.com has the lowest prices on some select titles. If anyone finds any cheap HD DVD sources post 'em!
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect any huge discounts until late summer or fall, sometime after Warner stops production.
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon's got a bunch at 50% off. There's a thread about it.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay is your friend. I just got Blue Planet for $32, it's $85 in the stores up here.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a smoking deal if you can afford the S&H:

Toshiba4sale.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.87 KB
 Viewed:  7206 Time(s)

Toshiba4sale.jpg

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to REAL deals... The new CompUSA.com (which was purchased by TigerDirect) has the A3 plus 2 movies in the box plus the 5 by mail (if you haven't partaken of that offer already) for $89.99. With ground shipping, it comes to a little over $100. Decent upscaling DVD players aren't much less than that, and you're getting 7 movies along with it.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3304908&CatId=2356

Same deal with the A30 (1080p) for $119.99:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3304910&CatId=2356

They also list an Onkyo HD DVD player I've never even heard of for $699.99:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3405674&CatId=2356

That oughta be a hot seller. Rolling Eyes

Hmm... I wonder how good they're going to be about sending out the 5 free movies now that the whole format's going away. I guess if they can't sell them, they may as well give them away with hardware that's getting dumped.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the 4 HD-DVD set of Planet Earth for $29.99 plus $3.95 shipping on eBay from the Discovery Channel store.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking on Craigslist, it looks like there are a fair number of people fire selling their HD DVD stuff, including movies. Of course, there are still your idiots who think they can sell an HD-A2 for $200. It's too bad the promos for the mail-in deal haven't changed in a while. If they did then I'd buy another player for the titles and sell the player.

You just got to love the retailers like Best Buy who helped kill HD DVD yet they're all *wink wink*, yeah, $30 per title is fair pricing for these HD DVDs we're trying to get rid of. When I eventually grab my ankles for Sony and go Blu-ray I'll be sure not to shop at Best Buy unless those titles drop to a good $5 a pop. Besides, buying media online is the way to go anyway. Best Buy, you can suck it.

I think I'll continue to put HDTV programs on 3x DVD. It would be cool if there was an underground for HD content on 3x DVD.

Also, I just got 3 HD DVD titles in the mail from a Barnes and Noble sale -- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Carlito's Way, and Shaun of the Dead. If you haven't seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind yet, it's worth the $15 in my opinion. Very good movie! Hey, we did get some good movies to HD DVD before it died!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
Besides, buying media online is the way to go anyway. Best Buy, you can suck it.

Exactly! I RARELY ever shop at Best Buy, anymore. They have nothing to offer me besides the immediacy of a local business. The downside of higher cost are not worth the immediacy for me. The only things I've purchased at Best Buy in the last 3-4 years have been primarily CDs or DVDs that I picked up as gifts - and that was only because I waited too long to order them from Amazon. Often, I'd rather pay for the 2-3 day shipping on Amazon than buy anything from Best Buy.

I forgot about craigslist. I'll have to check for people getting rid of movies. Good plan.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish people would quit rejecting my offers for $10 shipped on multiple HD DVD's.

I am offering hundreds of dollars for collections over at AVS and they get mad at me for offering them so little. :*(
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a few HD DVDs to sell, Offers

Italian Job,
Departed,
Fugitive
Unforgiven
Training Day
16 Blocks
Million $ Baby
Phantom/Opera.

klover

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet Earth is $29 + 10 shipping from Discovery.com store.
It's the US version (1080i, Weaver narrates). http://shopping.discovery.com/product-65763.html?jzid=40588073-90-0

$50 off $79 once you hit the checkout.
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not want the Weaver bitch narrating. Thumbs Down
View user's photo album (24 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papalek wrote:
We do not want the Weaver bitch narrating. Thumbs Down
We don't trust anything that can bleed for five days straight and not die. Evil or Very Mad Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepDiscount.com is below $10 on 25 titles with free shipping. The titles are...

The Amateurs
The Contract
Aeon Flux
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Black Rain
Coming to America
Failure to Launch
Four Brothers
Hustle & Flow
The Italian Job
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
The Manchurian Candidate
Mission Impossible
Mission: Impossible II
Old School
Payback
Sahara
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Sleepy Hollow
Top Gun
Trading Places
U2 - Rattle and Hum
The Untouchables
The Warriors
We Were Soldiers

Not the best titles and the good ones I pretty much already own. Let's see those other titles drop in price too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: