Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

THE FORMAT WAR OFFICIALLY OVER!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliverg

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: THE FORMAT WAR OFFICIALLY OVER! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1627196120080216

Ding Dong the witch is dead

So HD-DVD supporters, are you still going to deny the end???

MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: THE FORMAT WAR OFFICIALLY OVER! Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1627196120080216

Ding Dong the witch is dead

So HD-DVD supporters, are you still going to deny the end???

Perhaps we will call it an insurgency, but I for one will buy up HD-DVD's at firesale prices.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looks like they killed the good witch of the west and got the wrong one...
oliverg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for one of the HD-DVD supporters to come come in and further their latent denial that its over.
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
I'm still waiting for one of the HD-DVD supporters to come come in and further their latent denial that its over.

Having pretty much kept to myself about the format war, I have to say that the blu-ray fanboys have been a hell of a lot more annoying than the HD DVD fanboys. Reason? The HD DVD guys wouldn't have to keep defending their positions if the blu guys didn't start at least TWO new threads for every scrap of news that was detrimental to HD DVD. We get it, the war's over. TODAY. Not three damn months ago, not three weeks ago, TODAY. Your insistence that the war was over every goddamn week was just as foolish and annoying (it was not over...wrapping up, yes). Give it a break.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be missing something but why do YOU consider Sony and DRM the good guys ?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Oliver. How could it possibly be over? Over 33,000 people signed a petition to save HD-DVD! They can't all be wrong! Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
oliverg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
oliverg wrote:

Having pretty much kept to myself about the format war, I have to say that the blu-ray fanboys have been a hell of a lot more annoying than the HD DVD fanboys. Reason? The HD DVD guys wouldn't have to keep defending their positions if the blu guys didn't start at least TWO new threads for every scrap of news that was detrimental to HD DVD. We get it, the war's over. TODAY. Not three damn months ago, not three weeks ago, TODAY. Your insistence that the war was over every goddamn week was just as foolish and annoying (it was not over...wrapping up, yes). Give it a break.

No what was the most annoying thing was the abject denial, despite all the facts... that was what had to be given a break.

I for one was format neutral - I have over 50 HD-DVDs now. I will take part in the fire sale as all the software is dumped. The never ending "HD-DVD sill has a chance" was ridiculous at best.

CRT_Ben, did you check the last 10 or so threads to who actually started them? HD-DVD supporters.

"Save HD-DVD"
"Netfix shafts HD-DVD"

ETC ..

oliverg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
C'mon Oliver. How could it possibly be over? Over 33,000 people signed a petition to save HD-DVD! They can't all be wrong! Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Wink

Kal

Kal, sorry to break it to you .. that was Emdawg. He kept refreshing his DHCP leases and voted from 32000 different IP addresses Smile Smile Smile

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
No what was the most annoying thing was the abject denial, despite all the facts... that was what had to be given a break.

I for one was format neutral - I have over 50 HD-DVDs now. I will take part in the fire sale as all the software is dumped. The never ending "HD-DVD sill has a chance" was ridiculous at best.

CRT_Ben, did you check the last 10 or so threads to who actually started them? HD-DVD supporters.

"Save HD-DVD"
"Netfix shafts HD-DVD"

ETC ..

Well let's think about this, the Netflix threads were started by people who had HD DVDs in the queue (because they got the emails)...might they have HD DVD players?

Despite the fact that you may be "format neutral" with your wallet, you certainly haven't been with your keyboard, which is all I see...

How about "Here's the final nail in the coffin of HD-DVD?" - KennyG
THE FORMAT WAR OFFICIALLY OVER! - oliverg
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same question again.... What makes DRM, Regional codes and Blu ray a better format ???
oliverg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out not giving a damn, but as the dominoes started falling and the denial started coming forth, I felt the need to point out the abject truth to those that could not see ..

Anyway CRT_Ben, you posts reek of sour grapes. Sore losers?

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
I started out not giving a damn, but as the dominoes started falling and the denial started coming forth, I felt the need to point out the abject truth to those that could not see ..

Wow, quite a pedestal you have there...no, not sour grapes, I'm quite content with my small HD DVD collection, and I'm probably buying more when they go on sale. I'm just sick of the childish egging on by a small group of the blu supporters...
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would now be a bad time to point out that I've started a new list of Blu-ray release days with Amazon.com purchase links? Smile

See the sticky thread in this forum: BLU-RAY DISC RELEASE DATES. BUY BLU-RAY HERE!

Purchase using these links and a percentage goes towards the maintenance and server hosting costs to run the website and forum at no extra cost to the purchaser.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
oliverg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
oliverg wrote:

Wow, quite a pedestal you have there...no, not sour grapes, I'm quite content with my small HD DVD collection, and I'm probably buying more when they go on sale. I'm just sick of the childish egging on by a small group of the blu supporters...

Seems I'm not the only one with a pedastal Smile

wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: THE FORMAT WAR OFFICIALLY OVER! Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Perhaps we will call it an insurgency, but I for one will buy up HD-DVD's at firesale prices. Mike

I'm with you, but you better hurry as I am going to start buying them as well. 8)

Also, if the "war" as some call it is over, I would like to start seeing a bunch of new releases and the price of bd players AND the dvds going down, real damn quick like. Otherwise, I'll say it was a big joke all along.

wallace

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

And this is what they are talking about...
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said in the beginning. Backing B/R made sense. Sony had the means and the media catalog to make B/R a winner.

It just made sense.

I have never understood why some folk hae Sony so much. Like Toshiba is a paragon of morality....

They are media companies, selling product.

The move to insist on B/R in ps3's was the smartest move in the game. if not for that b/r would not have prevailed.

So is there a meeting at Yalta? Or do we just accept a surrender.

If so i want the term "fanboy" banished from all threads forever!

View user's photo album (3 photos)
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: THE FORMAT WAR OFFICIALLY OVER! Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
Otherwise, I'll say it was a big joke all along.

wallace

Here here!!!!!!!

Cliffy
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
As i said in the beginning. Backing B/R made sense. Sony had the means and the media catalog to make B/R a winner.

It just made sense.

I have never understood why some folk hae Sony so much. Like Toshiba is a paragon of morality....

They are media companies, selling product.

The move to insist on B/R in ps3's was the smartest move in the game. if not for that b/r would not have prevailed.

So is there a meeting at Yalta? Or do we just accept a surrender.

If so i want the term "fanboy" banished from all threads forever!

If it wasn't for your avatars, I'd argue with you. But I still have a hell-ova time reading what you say. Your avatars sez all I need to hear. Mr. Green

wallace

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: