Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Here's the final nail in the coffin of HD-DVD?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyG

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Here's the final nail in the coffin of HD-DVD? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looks like Toshiba is calling it quits http://thedigitalbits.com
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like we didn't see that coming.

Quote:
This is it folks. This thing was messy and costly and, in many of the online enthusiast forums, at times mean-spirited and downright bloody. But it's OVER. And as far as we're concerned here at The Bits... IT'S ABOUT GODDAMN TIME!!!

Hey, Bill - as far as I'm concerned, YOU'RE AN *******. You were part of the f*cking problem - one of the first people to start pumping BD and sh*ting on HD - when there was no reason to.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's an interesting guy: He likes to say he's neutral and I really do think *he* himself does think he's neutral, but a lot of comments really are biased towards Blu-ray.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal what is it you like most about blu ray ? Is it the name, the DRM or the regional codes or is it that it costs more so must be better...
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Kal what is it you like most about blu ray ? Is it the name, the DRM or the regional codes or is it that it costs more so must be better...

Come on....give him a break!

Mike

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:

Blu-ray is not better than HD-DVD. I tried both, and stuck it out with Blu-ray as it seemed to have the sales advantage. In other words, at the time I made my choice, I chose the one that was (in my eye) 'winning' the war. Don't confuse my choice with the one that is 'better' as for the most part I preferred the open ideas of HD-DVD over Blu-ray. But I wasn't going to buy into a format that in my eyes was starting to falter. Call me a lemming or a follower, I don't care. As far as I'm concerned, the two formats are more ALIKE than DIFFERENT.

I waited a LOOONG time before picking sides. I really really wanted to watch movies on HD disc. I waited long enough that my choice was not very risky. When I picked which side to start backing, Blu-ray has a big enough lead. Again, don't confuse this as meaning that I thought Blu-ray was BETTER which everone seems to infer by my posts.

It's the fact that it's the format that was likely to win is what bought me into Blu-ray. I could not care less about the functional differences between the formats.

You mentioned price however and I have to comment on that: Where I live, the two seem to be priced equally, or sometimes in the favour of Blu-ray as often the HD-DVD version would be a 'combo' disc which costs more.

If you read back far enough, you'll see posts by me stating that "HD-DVD" was a much better name than "Blu-ray" for various reasons. That didn't seem to be the case I guess. I've posted follow-ups as to why I think the name "Blu-ray" worked out to be better for most consumers. Things I never thought about originally.

You asked about region codes and DRM. I actually don't care about either as neither gets in the way of how I watch movies: Buy the disc, pop the disc in, and it plays. Region coding on DVD was never an issue for how I watch movies. I can see however how some people may not like DRM or region encoding. Make your choice based on your requirements, but don't belittle others based on their requirements.

Kal

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal, it seems that your posts recently have been "rubbing it in" to HD DVD enthusiasts, that is probably the backlash you see.

I saw HD DVD as better for the HT enthusiast so that is why I supported it, not because it had better "sales". Why would you buy something just because others were buying it?

In the end it doesn't really matter, although I hope to not be reading snide remarks from long time BR supporters for the following years. I guess I will always have a bitter taste in my mouth from seeing Goliath stomp David.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I of course am going to buy BD BUT, Sony can still kiss my ass.

I hope they dont get LAZY NOW.

Homo's.

Cliffy
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
I of course am going to buy BD BUT, Sony can still kiss my ass.

I hope they dont get LAZY NOW.

Homo's.

Cliffy

Gay Ray ... LOL ! Wink
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on Amazon to finish off my master list of HD DVDs that I want. I'll soon have 20 HD DVDs and there's 77 more titles on HD DVD that I still want. I went through all the Blu-rays titles as well. The hilarious thing is that even with Blu-ray's 75% studio advantage and slight title advantage, my HD DVD want list was still longer than the Blu-ray want list. I think I'll just stock up on HD DVDs on the cheap and wait for Blu-ray to...

1) release a stand-alone player with 5.1 analog audio output, component video output, profile 2.0 functionality, and a $200 price tag
2) release at least 50 titles I genuinely want
3) lower title prices to $15 each

Lets hope that competition with DVD causes those things to happen. I'll say this though -- I'm pretty much done buying DVDs. I haven't bought a DVD in over a year.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Its probably the less player lockups compared to the HD DVD player. I say this because its exactly what I conclude in my household.

What good is the DVD Forum is they choose a losing format? Consumers lose. Period. Hey, maybe they can adopt that nifty Chinese format. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good chance I never get a blueray. I will also never buy a Sony product as long as I live. If my kids, when they grow up, ever buy a sony product I will write them out pf my Will.
My HD-A2 will forever remain in my equipment rack as a monument to how corporate scheming and manipulation can exploit the ignornace of the general public to acheive all it's goals. This bug me beyond the small issue of who's making HD movies, it's really what's wrong with the entire world we live in.
I'm going to buy some Vinyl records now and make myself feel better. Laughing
View user's photo album (2 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Tom.W wrote:
Its probably the less player lockups compared to the HD DVD player. I say this because its exactly what I conclude in my household.

What good is the DVD Forum is they choose a losing format? Consumers lose. Period. Hey, maybe they can adopt that nifty Chinese format. Smile

IMO that' may prove to be a prophetic statement. The death of HDDVD has created a vacuum that's begging to be filled.

The majority of the masses STILL don't understand what HD is anyway, eg, uncompressed audio and video, etc.so it was easy for Sony to exploit that. The HDDVD camp didn't do enough to put their money into educating consumers IMO. And then there's the naming. Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD? Come on...HD-DVD?? That's the most cutting edge naming they could come up with for something that's supposed to represent cutting edge technology? Pathetic and unspectacular.

With Toshiba, M$, and the majority of the studios out of the way, the time is ripe for another competing format to attempt to fill the void. Re: people who feel as strongly as draganm, or Dave (Person99...myself included), and 10's of thousands of others (in this country alone) who 'simply' don't like Sony, and will be candidates for an alternative schema. I'm talking the general consumer because ALL of us here will try anything new. So we don't count in some regards.

Not to say Sony hasn't created and produced some great technology.(I'll take a G90 in a heartbeat thank you). Microsoft, probably the biggest and wealthiest player in the game, basically turned their back on Toshiba, the studios, and especially the consumers they helped fire up in the first place. They've been slowly and quietly sliding to the nearest exit for some time now.
Dollar for dollar, the M$ and Toshiba led consortium SHOULD have kicked the snot out of Sony. If M$ had treated this as they would have competition to their OS, Sony would have been squashed like a bug on a windshield. Something is rotten in Seattle for sure.

What I want to know is.....when is M$ going to send me a BD drive to replace the $200 Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive I sprung for. (I'm gonna guess...NEVER!) If they think I'm going to drop another $200.00 (or more), or accept a 'discount coupon' they can kiss my ass.
I'll sell the 360 and the HD drive and suck it up and buy a PS3. (I already had a PS3 but donated it to a church for a fund raiser. Talk about your pathetic attempts to buy your way into heaven! Embarassed)
That decision was based on the fact that I truly believe HD-DVD is a better format, and there are hardly any worthwhile games for the PS3...unless you like alot of anime 'Speed Racer' type graphics and games with thin story lines.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
With Toshiba, M$, and the majority of the studios out of the way, the time is ripe for another competing format to attempt to fill the void.

What void? Sony and BR already have a marketing juggernaut well underway. It was enough to squash HD-DVD, a superior format with a head start. I wouldn't want to go up against it with another new disk format.

*Disk* format, that is. I can easily imagine a downloadable "video-mp3" alternative showing up and kicking the snot out of Blu-Ray, just like mp3 is starting to eat CD's for lunch. But if so, we videophiles will lose. Just like mp3 generally has significantly inferior sound quality, so too would any downloadable video format almost certainly be highly compressed and blocky. True HD just has too much bandwidth requirements.

Most of the uneducated J6P consumers out there wouldn't know the difference -- just look at how many of them run stretched SD TV through their HDTVs and think they're watching "hi def." They could care less if a downloadable movie doesn't show full 1080p resolution. They'd never know the difference. And even if they DID know the difference, most consumers sit at 3-4x screen width from their displays, so they wouldn't see the loss of video quality. Big-screen projector owners (CRT and digitals) are a lot more common than they used to be, but it's still a niche. J6P with his 40" plasma from Best Buy is what will drive the market.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say or mean disk format. You went on to speak exactly of what I meant. Any competition will come from the net. I already posted before that I think that's where Sony will meet it's next opponent...and lose miserably. World Wide Web-One....Sony-Nothing. Not even Sony can control the web.

You're more informed than I on the technology required to counter Sony's disc based triumph....but I truly and firmly believe net delivered content is already an inevitability.

But holy hell can you image everything involved in making that a reality? I know it's already being done with varying levels of success and quality but I mean to TRULY make it a solid, workable option.

Cisco stock will shoot through the roof, the cable and satellite companies with their overpriced Subscription packages and cables MOD content will fight it tooth and nail, broadband prices will go up... Rolling Eyes

As an aside, from a Green standpoint, think of the fuel that will be saved annually if people didn't go to the video store. I know NetDix is already there to fill that but brick and mortar vid stores still have high foot traffic.

I can't wait for the next contender to get in the ring with Sony. If it's the web, Sony is dead meat. I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth more and guess Sony will counter with connected players (they are already but have no storage capacity), add massive hard drives, and attempt to horn in on that action too. That's cool tho. That's exactly what I'd do to respond.

Who knows. It's entertaining (and free) to speculate tho.

I personally have gotten a kick out of the whole short lived battle of the formats. That's two in my lifetime. I wonder if I'll be around for the next one seeing as the last two have been 20+ years apart. Rolling Eyes

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
GEBrown

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm over in Frankfurt on business this week and this morning, one of the lead stories on BBC News was that it is expected that Toshiba will announce sometime this week that they are dropping the HD-DVD business and getting out altogether.

Very sad - I would have to guess that they will not make any more firmware upgrades either.

Bummer!!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Tom.W wrote:

Blu-ray is not better than HD-DVD. I tried both, and stuck it out with Blu-ray as it seemed to have the sales advantage. In other words, at the time I made my choice, I chose the one that was (in my eye) 'winning' the war. Don't confuse my choice with the one that is 'better' as for the most part I preferred the open ideas of HD-DVD over Blu-ray.

And yet, your actions and the actions of others like you is why BD won and consumers lost. Don't take this as harsh criticism, just reality--you simply helped the worse format win, you have to accept that fact.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped BD win, too. I admit it. The movies I wanted (Pixar) just weren't on the format I wanted to use (HD). When Wal-Mart had the 80-gig PS3 with 10 free titles (worth $250-300) for $500, I couldn't pass it up. My dad and I both got one, in fact. We already had 4 HD DVD players between us and had for some time, so it wasn't as if we were sitting on the sidelines. Of course, by that time, BD media had already been outselling HD media by about 2:1 almost the whole year, which the exception of a month or two where they were closer than that.

More than anything else, what won this war for Sony was a massive (mis)-information campaign (both on the part of Sony itself and the supporters) about how superior BD was, a lackluster information and advertising campaign by Toshiba, et al, and totally unfair and biased selling practices by retail stores. My local Best Buy short-changed HD-DVD and pushed BD all year last year. There was never any 'let the consumer decide' position. Gee, I wonder why the sales numbers were better for BD! It was clear that because they could make a lot more money on it, they pushed it instead of HD DVD. That mirrors the hundreds of comments I've ready by people who were in other Best Buy stores.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
And yet, your actions and the actions of others like you is why BD won and consumers lost. Don't take this as harsh criticism, just reality--you simply helped the worse format win, you have to accept that fact.

Yep. True. I did buy an HD-A2 HD-DVD player early 2007 but at that point things seemed pretty much up in the air so I returned it (and it also didn't work correctly with my pre-pro and it had some odd black level problems that weren't there with the HD-A1 I tried). So I returned it and just waited...

By the time I bought into Blu-ray with a PS3 (late summer 2007) they were in my eyes already in the lead. I helped push them forward I suppose.

Toshiba really screwed this one up. They *should* have won and I would have preferred it. But man, I have to admit, I really like my PS3. Smile

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
But man, I have to admit, I really like my PS3. Smile

Me, too. My Toshiba XA1 is a very nice disc player - really nice, actually. But, as a piece of cool technology that does a lot more than just play movies, the PS3 is awesome - and for not much more than the XA1.

I can grab a couple of HD movie trailers off the Apple site right before I have people over, unwrap the QT MOV to a standard mp4, throw it on a USB key, and play it on the PS3 in the theater. So cool. Connects to my AAC-based iTunes library on the Mac (running eye connect), my photos (has a really nice photo browser), and being able to pull up the browser and play something Flash-based is fun after a movie and we have people over. All for $400-500. Pretty cool, in my opinion.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: