Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Soundproofing questions..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Fill those cavities with mineral wool (Roxul) you need mass,closed cell foam will only provide thermal insulation. Then add acoustic channel and double gyprock
when I was stuffing joist bays in my HT I could set my mug of coffee on the top edge of the bottom row of mineral fibre batts, the dampening was so good that I actually opened up an existing insulated wall that I previously thought was "good enough" and replaced all the batts with Roxul, I added channel and double gyprock and the change is well worth the effort. some LFE is still there but without HUGE mass and/or physical isolation this is unavoidable.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.greengluecompany.com/greenGlue-vs-FactoryDampedPanels.php

Interesting....

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also want a few and as small as possible penetrations of the DD + GG as possible. For example, a lot of people use column to house the electrical outlet box. So, only the Romex penetrates the DD. The box sits within the column. Can lights are another issue. I'm not sure how people handle those. Maybe a box of MDF to place them in? I'd love to see/find flush mount, dimmable LED "can" lights.

Also, be sure to use ascoutical chaulk to seal gaps. Around wall penetrations. I've seen where people leave a small gap between the wall and ceiling. Fill it with ascoutical chaulk and cover that area with crown moulding. Though crown moulding will probably not work with the client's design theme.

paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
Fill those cavities with mineral wool (Roxul) you need mass,closed cell foam will only provide thermal insulation. Then add acoustic channel and double gyprock
when I was stuffing joist bays in my HT I could set my mug of coffee on the top edge of the bottom row of mineral fibre batts, the dampening was so good that I actually opened up an existing insulated wall that I previously thought was "good enough" and replaced all the batts with Roxul, I added channel and double gyprock and the change is well worth the effort. some LFE is still there but without HUGE mass and/or physical isolation this is unavoidable.

Can mineral wool be blown in?

ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:

Also, be sure to use ascoutical chaulk to seal gaps. Around wall penetrations. I've seen where people leave a small gap between the wall and ceiling. Fill it with ascoutical chaulk and cover that area with crown moulding. Though crown moulding will probably not work with the client's design theme.

It would if you shoved big real log " beams " on the ceiling... Wink

I don't think the decision has been made yet on whether the ceiling is going to appear like stone..

Or I have a huge collection of old pine boards that would look like a rough old flooring structure... With some rough hewn weathered logs as fake beams.... Thumbs Up

He is going to have a Gas burning fireplace that he keeps insisting live below the drop down screen... The catch here is that he wants fake Coal, not fake wood for the damn thing...

Anybody have any clue on that one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: