Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BLU-RAY/ULTRA-HD REFERENCE QUALITY TITLES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Another top-not reference quality disc:

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) (Fox) Video: 5/5 Audio: 5/5

The movie itself was so-so. Not bad, but not something I'd probably watch over and over again. The sound however (especially the bass) is phenominal. Some couch moving stuff here.

The 1951 version is also included on a 3rd Blu-ray disc which is really nice considering that it normally sells for $20+ just by itself! I was actually looking at ordering that original version after seeing this remake and lo-and-behold, I already had it! Wink

Quote:
The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

Fox has produced an excellent 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode (2.39:1) for 'The Day the Earth Stood Still.' I may not have loved the movie, but I can't deny how impressive this transfer is.

'The Day the Earth Stood Still' looks as expensive as its budget. The widescreen compositions are razor-sharp, with reference-quality detail. Rarely is there a scene that couldn't pass for demo material, and the sense of depth and three-dimensionality is terrific. Colors are sometimes muted or tweaked, but reproduced perfectly with clarity and stability. Blacks are deep, and contrast evenly-balanced across the entire grayscale. Shadow delineation is also first-rate. Some CGI shots may look a little more indistinct, but that's indicative of today's special effects. The encode is also spot-on, and I noticed no visible edge enhancement or motion artifacts. Five-star stuff.

The Audio: Rating the Sound

This DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround track (48kHz/24-bit) is also superb. This is a show-stopper for any home theater.

Dynamics really threw me for a loop. Low bass extension is as deep as I've ever heard. Clarity and depth across the entire spectrum is exceptional. The mix makes great use of contrasts, with the booming action no less well-designed than the quietest scenes, with every word intelligible thanks to perfectly-balanced dialogue. Surrounds are frequently engaged and pummeling. The arrival of Gort, or the final scenes of destruction, are whoppers -- a fully 360-degree soundfield is created. Sure, the movie this soundtrack accompanies doesn't deserve a mix this good, but close your eyes and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better audio presentation on Blu-ray.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reference quality release:

Dexter: The Complete Second Season (Paramount) Video: 4.5/5 Audio: 4.5/5

Scores a 5/5 on content as well!

Quote:

'Dexter: The Complete Second Season' arrives on three BD-50 discs utilizing a 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode (1.78:1 aspect ratio) and the results are just as beautifully stunning as the first season.

The series has some of the most vibrant color schemes in existence, with lush greenery, bold crimsons, and an entire palette in between that really shines in high-definition. Black levels are deep and inky, while whites remain clinically-clean. Skin tones are lifelike as well, and the textures of flesh, oil paintings, and even things as trivial as the plaster walls of the police station never fail to impress. Depth is also strong, and the image often has a very pleasing three-dimensional "pop" that is a marvel in itself.

Although I didn't encounter any of the motion judder I experienced during the pilot episode of the first season, season two still has a few minor blips that are enough to restrain me from giving it a perfect score. It doesn't happen very often, but night scenes periodically have a small amount of digital noise to them, however on the plus side the picture quality isn't hindered by any pesky DNR. The other issue is that there are moments of slight artifacting, too. Aside from those very minor nitpicks, though, the first two seasons of 'Dexter' truly dazzles on Blu-ray.

The U.S. editions of 'Dexter: The Complete Second Season' on Blu-ray are reported to be region-locked and therefore won't play in all PlayStation 3 and standalone players.

'Dexter' also sounds just as fantastic as it looks on Blu-ray. Paramount offers a pair of lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 tracks in English and Spanish (with optional English subtitles) that simply outclasses the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 options of the DVDs in every possible way.

From the moment Rolfe Kent's main title theme music begins, 'Dexter' delights by having a powerful bass and strong dynamic range. After the opening credits sequence, dialogue is noticeably crisper than the DVDs, and Dexter's narration in particular didn't sound even a hair constrained like it did on occasion during the first season on Blu-ray. Surrounds are also highly active, filling the room with a wide array of sound effects from background prison chatter to clucking voodoo chickens. Without a doubt, this is a great mix that'll surely please even the most fussy of audiophiles.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference quality title:

Seabiscuit (Universal) Video: 4.5/5 Audio: 4.5/5

Quote:

'Seabiscuit' had looked quite lovely in its past video incarnations, both DVD and HD DVD. For this Blu-ray, Universal drinks from the same well, and that's a good thing. This is a lovely presentation that still ranks as one of the studio's best high-def catalog releases.

Again presented in 1080p/VC-1 video, 'Seabiscuit' looks exquisite. The source material is pristine, with perfect blacks and excellent contrast that is consistent across the entire grayscale. Color reproduction is also wonderful, and even more vibrant than the already-lush standard-def transfer. Director of photography John Schwartzman ladles on the golden highlights, which imbues the transfer with a richness unusual in a modern movie. Unlike today's tweaked-up transfers, 'Seabiscuit' looks realistic and natural, with some appropriate film grain visible (mostly in darker scenes). And it is most welcome.

The level of depth and detail is uniformly superb, even on tough scenes. There is a sequence early on where Chris Cooper watches Seabiscuit on a very foggy, overcast evening, but despite all the gloom the transfer never looked anything less than three-dimensional. Also gone are some of the minor moire patterns that hampered the standard-def release -- this time out, I couldn't detect any visible noise or compression artifacts. I'd like to find something to complain about here, but 'Seabiscuit' is close to flawless.

Universal has upgraded the audio for this Blu-ray to DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit). Finally, 'Seabiscuit' gets the high-res soundtrack it deserves.

The sound design of 'Seabiscuit' clearly favors the horse racing sequences, and they gallop ahead at full steed. Surround use is aggressive during these sequences, with expertly-crafted sound effects that never feel less than authentic. Crowd noise and stampeding hooves in the rears merge to create a very effective 360-degree soundfield that's superior to the previous HD DVD. Imaging now feels seamless. Low bass is also noticeably improved, with more impact to the subwoofer which sounds fantastic at loud volume. Quieter moments in 'Seabiscuit' do pale somewhat in comparison, but there is still nice atmosphere, and the sporadic bursts of Randy Newman's score are well-done and effective. Though I was already pleased with the Dolby Digital-Plus track included on the HD DVD, 'Seabiscuit' sounds even better here.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5/5 rating all around - pick it up today! Wives love Brad Pitt... (I know mine does) Wink

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Paramount) Video: 5 Audio: 5

Quote:

Similar to Fincher's 'Zodiac,' much of 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' was shot in 1080p high-definition -- using Thompson Viper FilmStream and Sony F23 digital cameras with color correction provided by Jan Yarbrough on FilmLight's Baselight systems. In short, the point of all this techno-babble is that the pristine digital-to-digital transfer delivers a stunning reference-quality Blu-ray disc.

Right from the moment the Paramount and Warner Brothers logos are smothered by hundreds of buttons, the sharpness and level of detail is simply breathtaking. Textures of facial features and clothing are crisp and the image has exceptionally strong depth for a pleasing three-dimensional picture. The color palette varies throughout the movie -- sometimes feeling quite cold with icy blues, steely greys, and clinical whites in the hospital, while other times (such as Benjamin's early years) the image has a sepia tone using various warm shades of yellows, golds, and browns. Black levels are rock solid too -- dark and inky with fantastic shadow detailing.

Only a handful of flashback segments were captured on 35mm film, and those have all been weathered intentionally with a treatment of dirt, scratches, specks, judder, discoloration and other imperfections in order to make these scenes distinguishable from the rest of the story. That being said, I can't fault these purposely aged clips as that's how they were meant to look.

I also didn't notice any banding, artifacting, or any other eyesores. The only thing that I did catch was a very, very mild bout of noise in a couple of the scenes when Julia Ormond was on screen (maybe she's a ghost?), but honestly this was so minuscule it doesn't make a dent in the gorgeous 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 (2.40:1 aspect ratio) presentation.

It's also worth noting that the U.S. version of 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' is region-locked and therefore will only function properly in Region A PlayStation 3 and standalone players.

The original theatrical sound mix for 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' was optimized by sound engineer Ren Klyce and although the packaging is a little ambiguous on the Blu-ray disc's exact audio specifications, it does in fact include a wonderful lossless English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track.

Alexandre Desplat's haunting and atmospheric score fills the room flawlessly, making excellent use of the rear channels. The center speaker delivers crisp and clear dialogue -- even when factoring in some of the strong southern accents and deathbed mumblings. There are periodic subtle surround effects in quieter scenes, but the track really comes alive during the World War I flashbacks and the sequences at sea on The Chelsea. As one would expect, the bass is most effective during these cases and really makes its presence known. Much like the deep, bellowing horn of the tugboat, this track will knock your socks off.

Also included are Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks in French and Spanish, as well as optional English, English SDH, French, and Spanish subtitles.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another movie with a 5/5 rating for both audio and sound. Absolutely phenominal looking. The original DVD was considered pretty good for the time but the increased resolution, colour range and contrast on the Blu-ray is mind-boggling.

If you're at all a fan of Pixar movies this is a must-have. There are some new special features in HD too.

A Bug's Life Video: 5 Audio: 5

Quote:

In a word: perfection.

That isn't hyperbole. That's the truth.

The DVD for 'A Bug's Life' was the first direct digital-to-digital transfer, without any analogue in-between, and it was a sight to behold, for sure. But this 1080p AVC-encoded 2.35:1 transfer is just unparalleled (or at least only comparable to other Pixar Blu-ray releases). Literally.

Colors threaten to pop off the screen (and this is one colorful movie - the ants are blue for crying out loud!), detail is unparalleled (although seeing textures in this clarity makes you realize that Pixar's technical level of achievement wasn't what it is now), definition is strong and sharp, and there is nothing (and I mean nothing) in the way of technical blips- no macro-blocking, no artifacts, no edge-enhancement. NOTHING.

This is just a beautiful, beautiful image. Stunning in every way. I'd like to go into more detail, but this image really doesn't require any more. Perfection pretty much sums it up.

It should be noted that the disc is REGION FREE. Also, it has a neat playback feature if you take the disc out of your player and put it back in, it gives you the option of resuming the movie from where you left off. This is helpful and should be included on more discs.

Again: perfect.

This lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track has everything you could want from a surround track, and more.

Instead of a normal audio track of a comedy release, which would have all the dialogue in the front speakers, this mix judiciously spreads the voices out amongst the different speakers. Part of this has to do with the sheer scale of the movie - there are a ton of speaking characters, and many more extras. What's more - the dialogue is never drowned out or obscured. This may seem like an odd thing to applaud, but the effect is staggering.

The surround sound really gets a workout, too, in scenes of greater action (with the back speakers really worked vigorously) - Hopper's gang of grasshoppers approaching the ant colony at full mast; Flik's arrival at Bug City, in which everything is alive; the attack by the vicious bird; the rain drops that fall like depth charges from a WWII submarine. For my money, this mix blows away most of the overactive sound mixes of big Hollywood action pictures.

So, in short: this is an atmospheric, immersive mix that will leave you breathless. It's just as magnificent as the video presentation.

Also included are Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 and French Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes and subtitles in English SDH, French, Spanish.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenominal sound on this reference title:

Air Force One Video: 5 Audio: 5

Quote:

The MPEG-4 AVC 1080p transfer (2.40:1 ratio) is quite strong. There's a noticeable amount of grain, visible from the very first frame. This isn't too distracting, and makes it feel like you're watching a movie, instead of something that has been so digitally scrubbed that Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman look like they've been replaced by waxwork androids. Sometimes this can get distracting, with certain scenes looking soft or fuzzy, but overall I wouldn't say the grain takes away from the overall presentation.

Otherwise, there's a fair amount of depth and clarity to the shots, with colors (like the splashes of blood - this is a fairly violent movie, none of that 'Live Free or Die Hard' PG-13 nonsense) and textures really shining through. That iffy CGI shot towards the end of the movie only looks so iffy because the clarity of the picture is so outstanding. If you couldn't see the effect so well, then it probably wouldn't have made such an impression. (Editor's Note: I remember thinking that effect looked mindbogglingly phony even when I saw it in the theater.)

Besides the grain, I didn't notice any technical problems - no macro-blocking, noise or artifacts. While the 'Air Force One' transfer isn't the most outstanding example of a high-def transfer, it's still very strong and beats the pants off watching the film on late night cable television.

'Air Force One's' Dolby TrueHD 5.1 mix is really strong and punchy. It's the perfect audio accompaniment for this type of movie. From the opening scene (that tactical mission that sets the rest of the film in motion), you know what you're getting - strong use of all channels for incredible immersion, loud booming presentation of Jerry Goldsmith's militaristic score (which he reportedly wrote and recorded in 14 days after the original score was scrapped at the last minute), with dialogue remaining crisp and strong throughout the action, especially when the movie cuts away to the political machinations of Vice President Glenn Close.

Gunfire pops. When those fighter jets zoom around, you can practically taste their afterburn. And punches land with a hard, weighty wallop. Every speaker is given a workout, without any muddiness, bleeding in between channels, or inconsistencies. This is a LOUD movie and the soundtrack delivers appropriately, without ever sacrificing nuance or clarity.

This is definitely a track to showoff when you invite your favorite action movie buffs over to watch with the surround sound turned all the way up. You just might want to give the neighbors a heads-up first.

Also included on the disc is a French Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track and subtitles in English, English SDH, and French.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 5 star reference movie all around... a good movie to boot too (a must see for any golf fan, but you don't have to enjoy golf to like the movie)

The Greatest Game Ever Played (Walt Disney) Video: 5 Audio: 5

Quote:

I couldn't find one fault with the 1080p, AVC MPEG-4 encoded transfer for this film. It's a gorgeous, rich depiction of the early 1900s. Seeing that most of the movie takes place on a golf course, the greens are of special importance, and here they are beautiful and vibrant. The fairways are lush, and the trees surrounding them stand out with astounding clarity.

Black levels are consistent and nice throughout; shadow delineation is marvelous, making even the faces during night scenes clear and recognizable; and intricate patterns on tablecloths, wallpaper, and clothing are stunning. The texture on Francis' hat really stands out, and even the dimples on the golf balls are all clearly visible. The transfer also benefits from a Kodachrome-like look to give it that "old-time" effect.

At one point in the movie a character puffs a small smoke ring out of his mouth. It hangs in the air a moment, then drifts downward toward a pool table, and before it dissipates, it briefly encircles a ball on the table. I sat stunned. First off, the smoke ring is so vivid it must be real. I have no idea how they did that, or even why. But, that scene is stunning. It's only a few seconds, and it's off to the side of the screen, but I was blown away. Really cool stuff.

I did spot just a miniscule bit of aliasing as the camera pans over a thatched roof cottage, but it didn't distract from the film. Overall, there's nothing that keeps the video quality on this disc from reaching the highest rating.

The audio is equally spectacular. The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio makes good use of every channel with great effect. I always felt like I was right in the middle of the action. There are a lot of crowd scenes in this film - a ballroom, a bar, and of course a packed golf course - and the surround channels handle it perfectly. As the crowds roar to life after each amazing putt or drive, so will your TV room. There's also some good use of deep bass during the most intense parts of the film.

The dialogue is presented with great directionality. Voices are never muted or hard to hear. In short, this track has everything a period piece needs.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4.5 out of 5 star reference disc for both audio and video:

Miracle (Walt Disney) Video: 4.5 Audio: 4.5

Quote:

To the untrained high-definition viewer, the 1080p MPEG-4 AVC encoded transfer of 'Miracle' may not seem as clear or crisp as other Blu-rays. It's true that the film does have a softer focus, making the details a little less sharp, but that's a stylistic choice. The softer focus gives it that late 70s early 80s feel, much like the effect the TV show 'Swingtown' uses. Yet even with the soft focus, textures and patterns still turn out beautifully.

A lot of plaid is worn in 'Miracle,' mostly by coach Brooks, and as hideous as plaid can look sometimes, it still bursts from the screen perfectly defined, reminding us exactly what time period we're watching. Other details that would never be noticed on the standard definition version are the minute jersey holes on the players' jerseys. In standard definition those tiny holes create terribly annoying aliasing lines, but here they're distinct and clear, even when the players move around. Or take a look at a corduroy jacket coach Brooks wears. (Editor's Note: The man was stylin'!) It's like you could reach out and feel the ridges.

There were a few times when grain was a bit heavy on lighter backgrounds, but overall, it was kept to a minimum. Skin tones seemed consistent for everyone except Noah Emmerich, for some reason his skin always appeared pale and washed out. Shadow delineation does waver a bit during night scenes, but it's not terribly distracting. I didn't catch any compression artifacts or source noise at all.

Overall this is another fantastic catalogue offer from Disney. They really do take their time with these releases to make them look good.

Hockey films hold the potential for stunningly cool sound - pucks being slapped by hockey sticks, ice skates cutting through the ice, crowds screaming, and bodies banging into the boards. 'Miracle' has all of those great elements, and they're all amplified with a fantastic DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track that makes you feel as if you're right there.

The sound in 'Miracle' sounds so amazing, yet so real and organic. There's a special feature that talks about how they got all the different hockey related sounds, and then you realize the amount of work the crew went through to get authentic sounds.

The dialogue is presented clean and clear through the front channels. The bass rumbles on big hits, and when the crowd roars to life. The surround channels capture perfectly the feeling of being in a hockey rink watching a game. Even Al Michaels lends his voice for a voiceover calling out the play-by-play. The voiceover comes out clear and concise through the center channel, but at times is muffled by the boisterous crowd.

There were scenes in which it seemed the volume changed a few decibels, making one conversation seem quite a bit louder than the last, but this is a minor nitpick. Overall, this another solid offering from Disney in the sound department. There's nothing here that really distracted from the overall pleasure of the film. It adds dimensionality, and feeling to an already emotional roller coaster.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans of the HBO mini-series Band of Brothers and other war movies take note, another reference quality HBO miniseries on Blu-ray and it's actually on sale too:

Generation Kill (HBO) Video: 4 Audio: 5

Quote:

What makes this series so compelling is that it doesn't glorify the war effort or try to mask any of the negative details. In fact, 'Generation Kill' actually paints a pretty vivid portrait of the military's lack of preparation, proper equipment and supplies, as well as competence, as many commanders either had no clue what they were doing or unnecessarily put the lives of Marines at risk by sending them out on wild goose chases to bolster their own careers. Everything is laid out on the table just as it unfolded before Wright's eyes, warts and all.

HBO deploys 'Generation Kill' onto three BD-50s and the 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 (1.78:1 aspect ratio) encode really captures the grittiness of desert warfare.

The series isn't a very colorful one--utilizing a rather bland palette composed mostly of browns, tans, greens and blacks--and the picture has consistent grain throughout, making for a pleasing film-like appearance. Detail and depth seem to fluctuate, and contrast is also overblown, but whether or not this was an intention on the filmmakers' part it works in the show's favor. Most importantly, I did not detect any instances of artifacting, banding, edge enhancement, DNR, or other meddling of any kind.

However, the transfer does run into a couple of minor issues on occasion that are worth mentioning here. For starters, black levels aren't as strong as they could have been--especially in many of the night scenes--where the image tends to become flat and murky. The other thing is there are spurts of noticeable digital noise in a handful of the low-light scenes. I believe this is a result of compression since I didn't catch any of these anomalies on the seventh episode which is housed separately with the supplements on the third disc. Now I'm not sure if it would have even helped, but in hindsight maybe it would have been better to add a fourth disc just so the first six episodes had a bit more room to breathe. To be fair it still wasn't really distracting, but it may have made an otherwise great release that much greater.

The U.S. version of 'Generation Kill' on Blu-ray is reported to be region-free and therefore should function properly in all PlayStation 3 and standalone players.

While I had a few minor nitpicks with the video, I have absolutely zero complaints with the extremely robust lossless English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack. The mix firmly plants viewers in the midst of the action and is nothing short of perfection.

It doesn't matter if the Marines are whispering softly to one another or screaming at the top of their lungs over the noise in the middle of a firefight, the dialogue always comes through crisp and with the utmost clarity. Helicopters routinely encircle the entire soundstage, while Humvees and tanks shake, rattle and roll from one speaker to the next--giving those at home a wild ride of their own. Bullets whiz by from all angles, and mortars, land mines, and other explosions sound and feel chillingly authentic. All I can say is HBO deserves high props for working their magic on another reference-quality soundtrack.

The release also includes DTS 2.0 tracks in French and Spanish, as well as optional English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Swedish, and Norwegian subtitles.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reference quality disc. Pretty bad movie but it looks and sounds great! Wink

Knowing (Summit) Video: 4.5/5 Audio: 5/5

Quote:
The long and short of it is that 'Knowing' is terrible. It's not even fun-terrible. It's Roland Emmerich-terrible. This is a disaster movie in every sense of that phrase.

On a technical level, the Blu-ray's 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer is just about faultless. The movie was shot on digital video using the RED ONE camera. The 2.35:1 imagery is, at times, incredibly detailed. The picture is also totally devoid of grain or noise. Contrast levels are solid. Shadow detail is exemplary, and the image has a terrific sense of depth. The only digital imperfection I spotted was a tiny amount of color banding in one or two spots, but hardly enough to complain about.

Aesthetically, I'll be honest, I didn't really care for the picture. The movie has a rather bland visual style, which may be an artistic decision, but didn't do much for me. Colors are a little subdued. More disturbingly, the digital photography has a strange attribute of being both soft and sharp at the same time. Although fine object detail in the background of shots is often remarkably clear, facial features in the foreground have a smooth, soft glow to them. It doesn't look like a focus issue, or like a Digital Noise Reduction artifact. It seems to just be the way the photography looks.

The movie seems to be trying to emulate a film-like appearance. And yet, it doesn't look anything like film, really. I found it bothersome. This may come down to personal preference.

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack is pure demo material. I am not a person often impressed by bombast. I find most big budget action movies to be needlessly loud and often lacking fidelity in favor of smash bam boom. The 'Knowing' soundtrack really has the best of both worlds.

The mix is, yes, quite loud. It has huge dynamic range with deep, rumbly, thunderous bass. And plenty of it. The surround channels are put to hyperactive use. Whispering voices bounce around the soundstage. Directional effects routinely wrap around the listening position, and seem to come from everywhere all at once.

At the same time, fidelity is terrific. Marco Beltrami's score is warm and resonant. Sound effects are so sharp they could slice your skin. As much as the movie's visual effects let it down, the three-dimensional envelopment and immersiveness of the soundtrack picks up the slack. This is the best-sounding disc I've listened to in ages.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reference quality disc, 5/5 for both audio and video and a very entertaining movie to boot at a reasonable price!

Watchmen: Director's Cut (Warner) Video: 5/5 Audio: 5/5

Quote:

Considering the high expectations and the strong following, anything less than spectacular from this freshly-minted transfer would not suffice. Thankfully, the 1080p/VC-1 encode (2.4:1) delivers stunning picture quality that is sure to please fans. Not only does it faithfully reproduce 'Watchmen' as it was shown theatrically, but it also embodies a beautiful cinematic appearance that remains consistent throughout.

Stylistically, the film is drenched in heavy, dark shadows, so black levels are very important to the overall effect. Fortunately, they don't falter and are exceptionally well rendered, coming across as inky and intense with objects clearly distinguished in the darkest areas of the picture. Details are remarkably sharp and distinct, which only adds to the terrific dimensionality of the image. Facial complexions are equally impressive, appearing natural with incredible lifelike texture. Contrast is intentionally muted for a dreary tone which complements the subject matter, but offers plenty of visibility of background information with crisp, clean whites. The palette consists generally of pastel colors, and they yield a strong, bold tonality with accurate vividness.

If there are any nitpicks, it would the minor banding around Doctor Manhattan's blue glow and in the blue flames that burst from Archie's thrusters. However, they only occur for less than a second in a couple of scenes and are barely noticeable while enjoying the film. As such, I find them to be negligible, since they don't distract from the otherwise gorgeous film-like quality of 'Watchmen' on Blu-ray.

Marking Warner's first venture into the DTS-HD Master Audio codec, the lossless soundtrack on this Blu-ray edition of 'Watchmen' is nothing short of reference quality. The sound design isn't dependent on a loud, aggressive, in-your-face attitude. Rather, it remains focused on subtle ambiance and generating a believable environment for this parallel universe of masked avengers.

Dialogue reproduction and character interaction is perfectly discernible, even in the whispered conversations of Laurie and Dan, and remains fixed in the center of the screen. Dynamic range is clean and spacious, conveying terrific differentiation between the highs and mid-levels while in the middle of all the thunderous action. The original musical score by Tyler Bates fills the entire soundstage with great separation and room penetration, feeling warm and wide. Imaging is convincing as atmospheric effects nicely extend the soundfield into the background, enveloping the listener with great depth, clarity and definition. Pans are smooth and seamless, with no loss to details as objects move between the channels. Low-frequency effects carry a hefty and nicely refined punch, adding serious weight to each action sequence.

-----------
Help support our forum! Purchase from Amazon.com using our links and a small percentage of your payment automatically goes towards supporting this site at no cost to you!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of my favourite war movie making it in our "reference quality" list:

Glory (Sony) Video: 4.5/5 Audio: 5/5

Best part is current $14.99 price!

Quote:

'Glory' won the Oscar for Best Cinematography, and this 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode honors Freddie Francis' exceptional work with a vibrant, often stunning transfer that heightens the impact of Zwick's film. Though 'Glory' is two decades old, it looks remarkably fresh on Blu-ray, thanks to a source print that shows no signs of wear. An errant speck or mark crops up once in a blue moon, but only eagle eyes will catch it, and no evidence of digital enhancement disrupts this excellent specimen.

A good deal of smoke, haze, and fog waft about the characters throughout, and when combined with the movie's fine grain structure, the image might appear a bit bleached and gauzy. Yet the distinctive look perfectly matches the intentions of Zwick and Francis, and is beautifully rendered here. The two took great care to block out blue skies in the hope of achieving a dank, oppressive atmosphere, but occasionally they let one squeak through, and the burst of well-saturated color is a welcome respite from the predominate grayness, despite some faint mosquito noise.

Contrast is punched up just enough to make colors stand out and lend figures a hint of 3-D pop, while night scenes enjoy lovely depth, and fine details like flying sparks possess great clarity. Close-ups are often exceptional; from liquid eyes and facial blemishes to scraggly, untrimmed facial hair and costume accents, the crisp details make the drama more immediate and highlight the meticulous period touches. Black levels are rich and solid, and fleshtones always sport a realistic look.

This is another terrific catalogue release from Sony, one that rivals the studio's top-flight effort on 'Kramer vs. Kramer' a few months ago.

'Glory' also took home the Academy Award for Best Sound, and once again, Sony shows us why with a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track that's got guts. From bold accents to delicate nuances, this wonderfully active mix delivers right down the line with crisp, well-balanced audio that flexes its muscles when called upon, but also gently caresses the sounds of nature and wildlife. Amazingly, the rear speakers are almost constantly engaged, spouting a stream of ambient effects ranging from crackling campfires and clanking silverware to chirping birds, rustling leaves, rain, and thunder. Seamless imaging across the front channels keeps the action fluid, and the well-prioritized dialogue always comes through cleanly.

Combat scenes, of course, test the track's limits, and gunfire, exploding shells, horse hooves, and bayonet thrusts immerse us in the danger and chaos of battle. Low-end frequencies need to be rock solid to properly convey the destructive force of artillery, and this mix meets the challenge with a heavy load of tight, realistic bass. Though a lot conflicting sonic action sometimes crowds the track, the audio never sounds cluttered or cacophonous, and always remains free of distortion.

And then there's James Horner's unforgettable music. The composer received a 1989 Oscar nomination, but it was for 'Field of Dreams,' not 'Glory,' which is a shame, because the sweeping, stirring score he wrote for this Civil War drama is arguably his best work - and that includes 'Titanic.' First-class fidelity, a pleasing depth of tone, and subtle surround feel enhance the music, which never overpowers the on-screen action.

I never expected as much sonic detail and presence from a 20-year-old film, but 'Glory' surprised me, and this textured track will be a standard against which I will judge other catalogue mixes in the future.

Kal

-----------
Help support our forum! Purchase from Amazon.com using our links and a small percentage of your payment automatically goes towards supporting this site at no cost to you!

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the following Hot new pre-orders (hover over for prices):

Hot Fuzz September 22, 2009
Shaun of the Dead September 22, 2009
Heat Nov 3, 2009
Star Trek (2009) Nov 17, 2009

Pre-order the hottest Blu-ray titles from Amazon and save big! You're guaranteed the lowest price between the time you ordered and the time it ships, even if the price goes back up. Amazon's also changed their shipping so that pre-ordered items ship out in multiple packages at no extra cost to you!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a test discs section:

Quote:
Test Discs

To get the most out of your home theater we recommend the following two Blu-ray test discs. There's a lot of other stuff out there - save your money. No other test discs are required.

Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics (DVD International) : Audio and video calibration test patterns and instructions. Get the most out of your HD home theater using this disc and our Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies guide.

Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc Edition : Advanced video benchmarking and calibration. While there is some overlap, it is a a perfect compliment to Digital Video Essentials as it has deinterlacing and chroma alignment tests, as well as other advanced features. No audio calibration so Digital Video Essentials is still required.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three new reference discs!

Coraline (Universal) Video: 5/5 Audio: 5/5

Quote:

Debuting onto Blu-ray is a 1080p/VC-1 transfer (1.85:1) of 'Coraline' that's absolutely jaw-dropping and gorgeous. It's a flawless presentation that will amaze audiences and one that will stand toe-to-toe with any Pixar title available. The stunningly consistent three-dimensional video is awash with a fine veneer of grain, providing the image with a beautiful and appreciably filmic quality.

The finest details are remarkable and distinctly sharp, with texture in various objects possessing an incredible lifelike refinement. From individual threads in any article of clothing to separate strands of hair atop each character, everything is crystal clear. A couple of choice scenes using diffusers can't even take away from the superb quality of this picture. Colors are equally extraordinary and a feast for the eyes. Whether we're in the drab and drained real world or the vibrantly exciting universe of Other Mother's house, the diverse palette on display is vividly saturated and accurate. Black levels are inky and profound with strong delineation of the smallest objects in the darkest shadows. The spotless video presentation provides wonderful clarity and visibility of things in the distance as well as in close-ups, making this Blu-ray edition of 'Coraline' pure reference quality.

Also included via seamless branching is the 3D version of the film. Unfortunately, the anaglyphic presentation doesn't translate well into high definition, despite 'Coraline' being the first stop-motion picture to be filmed for that purpose. Colors lose some of their vividness, ghosting is distractingly frequent, and the image mentioned above lacks much of its sharpness. At the end of the day, it's nothing more than a gimmick for those curious to see a real 3D picture. Those experiencing the film for the first time should watch it in 2D before venturing into the third dimension. It's there merely to offer another means of enjoying the wonderful world of 'Coraline' . . . for your second viewing.

All great things come in pairs, as they would say, and the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on this Blu-ray delivers on that promise. Arriving with resounding clarity, precision, and depth, the sound mix is impressive as it reaches the higher pitches without a loss in detail and an active surround presence that is at a near constant. The front soundstage is expansive and evenly balanced with crystalline dialogue reproduction and wonderful transparency. Atmospheric effects and non-directional cues are sharp and fluid, enveloping the listener convincingly. Interior scenes exhibit terrific spaciousness and acoustics, generating an amazing environment that's eerily authentic. The original score by Bruno Coulais and They Might Be Giants is warm and inviting, using the entire system to draw the audience into this fantastical world. Low bass is richly polish and responsive, adding a palpable realism to each scene and musical number.

Accompanying a superb picture quality of 'Coraline', this lossless track is simply amazing, offering audiences a terrific and immersive aural experience that matches perfectly the fantastical elements of the film.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Sony) Video: 4/5 Audio: 5/5

Quote:
The Blu-ray: Vital Disc Stats

After originally announcing the movie for release in January of 2007 and then postponing it indefinitely, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has finally brought 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' to the Blu-ray format. Unfortunately, they've made the galling decision to release it in North America exclusively as part of a three-movie box set along with 'House of Flying Daggers' and 'Curse of the Golden Flower', two films that it shares no direct connection with, other than the fact that they're all kung-fu movies distributed by Sony. The other two titles were also previously released on Blu-ray individually back in 2006 and 2007 respectively. The new discs are 100% identical to those older Blu-rays, just inserted into a new slipcover box.

The cover art for the 'Crouching Tiger' disc was also quite obviously prepared back in 2007. It has incorrect listings for the audio formats, subtitle options, and region coding. While marked with a Region A indicator, the actual disc is region-free. It has Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio rather than PCM 5.1. In fact, the movie's true language is Mandarin, not Cantonese.

On top of all this, the studio has given the new box set an outrageous MSRP of $92.95. Although currently selling for less than half that price at retailers such as Amazon, even at $40, the box set is tremendously overpriced for fans that may only want the one movie, and no doubt already own the other two.

'Crouching Tiger' has also been released individually in the UK with Steelbook packaging. Even after international shipping charges, that region-free disc (compatible with American Blu-ray players) should still be cheaper than buying the domestic edition.

In either case, the disc automatically opens with one of Sony's annoying Blu-ray promos before the main menu.

In the commentary on the disc, director Ang Lee describes his desire to photograph the movie with a soft palette reminiscent of oil paintings. It should also be noted that the film had an extensive amount digital wire removal performed, in addition to quite a few CG visual effects. As a result, the picture has a patina of softness and isn't necessarily the sharpest video image you'll find in high definition. Nevertheless, the Blu-ray's 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer (presented at the theatrical 2.35:1 aspect ratio) generally exhibits very good detail and texture. It has a nice film-like appearance, and is an unmistakable improvement over the heavily-filtered and electronically-sharpened picture on the Superbit DVD released back in 2001. The studio has also cleaned up most of the dirt and film damage that plagued prior video editions.

Mild film grain is present and appears to be accurately rendered. No overt Digital Noise Reduction or edge enhancement artifacts are visible. The color balance on the Blu-ray is a little different than the DVD, but neither stands out as more correct than the other without a definitive reference to judge against. The Blu-ray's colors are often quite striking, especially the rich greens of the bamboo forest.

Black levels are very deep. If anything, it seems that the studio has artificially tweaked the contrast, which leaves dark scenes too dark and crushes some shadow detail. Even so, the problem isn't too severe. This is a fine-looking transfer.

Fast & Furious (Universal) Video: 4.5/5 Audio: 5/5

Quote:

Under the hood, 'Fast & Furious' comes equipped with a wonderful VC-1 1080p transfer (aspect ratio: 2.40:1). This is, technically speaking, a hot rod.

The 'Fast & the Furious' series has always been known for its color - both in the brightness of its cars and the ethnicities of its cast members (one of my favorite things about the series is the presence of its multi-cultural mix of gear heads, without ever explicitly mentioning it). And, both look gorgeous here.

Skin tones - no matter the shade - are dead on, while the colors of the cars really pop. The movie looks just as good during the night sequences as it does during the daytime scenes, with deep black levels and no washout or bleeding. Everything looks great. There aren't any technical issues to speak of, either. While there isn't a whole lot of CGI work in the film (director Justin Lin prides himself on this), there appear to be some computer generated backgrounds, particularly in the tunnel that connects our fuel-injected drug runners from Mexico to America. These backgrounds look so ridiculously phony in high definition… but that's not the transfer's fault.

Overall, this is a pretty peerless transfer and one that will certainly give you quite a bang for your buck.

On the audio side, things are just as turbo charged. This DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix is the stuff that neighborhood protests are made of.

Literally from the opening sequence, in which a land train of gas tankers rumbles across the screen, the mix is given a constant workout, with wonderful surround support. This is a movie called 'Fast & Furious' and people buying this Blu-ray will want to not only see but also hear the most kick-ass stunt racing imaginable. And those coming to this disc for that will not leave disappointed. The handful of action sequences really roar to life, with loudness and intensity that makes you feel like you're in the passenger's seat.

Engines growl, cars smash together, gunfire pops, explosions engulf and everything is clear and well prioritized. Even though this aggressively mastered mix favors sequences of extreme calamity, it doesn't leave out the simpler scenes. Dialogue is clean and mostly front-centered, while everything is given a nice amount of atmosphere.

One of the coolest scenes is one in which Vin Diesel sort of "relives" the crash and murder of his old love, with a ghostly car flipping over him as he surveys the murder site. It's really cool and is a nice and subtle mix of elements.

Music also sounds nice - both the score by Brian Tyler and the soundtrack, composed of a mix of urban sounds (and overseen by The Neptunes' genius Pharrell Williams).

While some might complain that this mix is a bit too bombastic, really, it's what people want. And I'm fairly certain that some of the quieter, more meditative moments in the movie will weigh down all the sound and fury. It's hard to think of a more surround sound demonstration-worthy disc than this.

Also included on this disc are audio tracks in French DTS 5.1 and Spanish: DTS 5.1, as well as subtitles in English SDH, French, and Spanish. Race on!

Kal
-----------

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another home run:

Lost Season 1 (Buena Vista) Video: 5/5 Audio: 4.5/5

Great sound, great picture, great content

Quote:

I don't often give out 5-star scores for video. 'Lost' is one of the few live action productions that truly deserves it. This is a fantastic picture, the very definition of what a quality high-def viewing experience should be.

Even in its 720p broadcasts on ABC, 'Lost' is easily the best-looking show on television. The Blu-ray's 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer (which retains the 16:9 aspect ratio of the HD broadcasts) takes things to the next level. The image is remarkably sharp and detailed. Every one of Kate's freckles and all the stubble on Jack and Sawyer's faces are visible in perfect clarity. Colors are extraordinarily vivid, especially all those rich greens in the jungle. The contrast range is also crisply delineated at both the high and low ends.

Because the show is a 35mm production, a light veneer of film grain is visible when appropriate. In a couple of shots against the sky, some of the grain may look a little noisy, but these occurrences are very rare. For the most part, it has been well digitized and compressed. Any flaws are so minor that they aren't worth deducting points over.

Since the Blu-ray's release, scattered reports have complained that the First Season is a step down in quality from the previously released Third or Fourth Season box sets. I see no evidence of that. The picture here looks every bit as good as the Third Season Blu-ray, and has none of the artificial sharpening artifacts that plagued the Fourth Season. This is High Definition at its finest.

Marking a change from the previously-released seasons, 'Lost' switches away from PCM 5.1 format to lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround for this First Season set. The results are every bit as good. 'Lost' is also one of the best-sounding shows on television, and the lossless track captures everything from the subtle nuances of quiet dialogue scenes to the roar of polar bears and thunder of gunshots.

For a TV production, the show's sound mix is surprisingly dynamic and immersive. Bass slams with precision when needed. The surround channels, although rarely overtly showy, are frequently utilized for ambient jungle atmospheric sounds. They're also put to more aggressive use at times, such as every appearance of the "monster."

Fidelity is excellent across the board. Michael Giacchino's score is rich and resonant. This television show has better sound design than many feature films, and the Blu-ray does it full justice.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updates to the hot pre-orders list. Here's a cut and past with changes in red:

Quote:
Hot Pre-Orders

Pre-order the hottest Blu-ray titles from Amazon and save big! You're guaranteed the lowest price between the time you ordered and the time it ships, even if the price goes back up. Amazon's also changed their shipping so that pre-ordered items ship out in multiple packages at no extra cost to you!

I Love You Man August 11, 2009
Hannah Montana: The Movie August 18, 2009
Braveheart September 1, 2009
Gladiator September 1, 2009
Escape from L.A. September 15, 2009
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Sep 15, 2009
Hot Fuzz September 22, 2009
Shaun of the Dead September 22, 2009
Wallace & Gromit: The Complete Collection September 22, 2009
Monsters vs. Aliens September 29, 2009
The Wizard of Oz: 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition September 29, 2009
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Oct 6, 2009
Contact Oct 6, 2009
Year One Oct 6, 2009
Lord of the Rings Trilogy Nov 3, 2009
Forrest Gump Nov 3, 2009
A Christmas Carol (1951) Nov 3, 2009
Heat Nov 3, 2009
Logan's Run Nov 3, 2009
North by Northwest Nov 3, 2009
Up (Pixar) Nov 10, 2009
Monsters Inc. Nov 10, 2009
Star Trek (2009) Nov 17, 2009
Fight Club Nov 17, 2009
Gone with the Wind (70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) Nov 30, 2009
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Date TBD

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reference disc - this time a horror that also rates a 4.5/5 on content:

Let the Right One In (Magnolia) Video: 4.5/5 Audio: 4.5/5

Quote:
'Let the Right One In' is one of the best horror films to be released in the last twenty years! The film goes beyond conventional genre tropes to elicit sadness, despair, and hope --- more so than fright and terror. It oddly captures teenage angst in a daunting way that most all teen movies fail to do. It conveys an existential realism of anxiety and somberness towards an unknown future. This Swedish gem is absolutely captivating, richly complex, and an innovative take on vampire lore --- a bittersweet and tragic love story that just happens to involve a vampire.

Framed in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, Magnolia presents an attractive 1080p/VC-1 encoded transfer that perfectly captures the film's somber visual design. The picture quality of this Blu-ray disc may not compare to some of the best available, but based on its own merits, 'Let the Right One In' makes a very impressive hi-def presentation.

Colors are deliberately understated for a bleak and dreary atmosphere, but they're still nicely saturated and accurate. Daylight scenes display primaries that are full and vibrant, giving the picture a bit of life. Contrast is comfortably bright and revealing, with vivid whites and a gradation level that allows for wonderful depth of field. Seeing as how the majority of the film takes place at night and in low-lit interiors, black levels were fairly solid but not as dynamically rich as they could be. However, delineation in these same dark scenes holds strong, and objects in the shadows are perceptibly elaborate. Fine object and textural details are surprising and appreciable, exposing unique facial features and stitching in sweaters and scarves. Flesh tones appear natural and appropriate for the cold Swedish climate. This is an excellent reproduction of the film's artistic intent and tone.

Much like the video, the DTS-HD Master Audio provided here may not be the next sonic experience to demonstrate one's sound system, but it's an excellent audio presentation nonetheless. In the original Swedish language with English subtitles, the soundtrack is all about subtlety and ambiance, where even silence exhibits a wonderfully nuanced characteristic.

The mix is well-balanced within the front soundstage, offering marvelous clarity and separation. Vocals aren't just well prioritized, they also maintain a terrific tonality with clear emotional expressions within the dialogue. The musical score is the real star of the show, as rear activity offers a wonderful sense of envelopment and immersion. Dynamic range broadens the orchestration for a wide and spacious quality, where even the echoes of victims fill the room. Low bass doesn't play a major role, but it's effective at adding intensity and a palpable weight to those scenes requiring it. This lossless track is excellent at generating a suspenseful atmosphere of gloomy tension.

As a side note: According to some buzz on the internet, as well as extensive conversation in the HDD forums, it appears that the subtitle translation found on the Blu-ray disc is not the same as that shown in theaters. With that being the case, it's worth mentioning that the subtitles are a bit of a letdown and rumors are circulating that Magnolia Home Entertainment is taking care of the issue. Still, the subtitles convey a general idea of what is said on screen, but it's a simplified version which lacks certain emotional attributes important to the characters.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More reference quality goodness:

Buy it from Amazon and save: Crank 2: High Voltage (Video: 4/5 Audio: 5/5)

Quote:
'Crank 2' is an outrageous, in-your-face action movie that keeps things lively and doesn't take itself too seriously. If you're a fan of the first film, you'll probably find this enjoyable, even if the shtick runs a bit thin and there are too many iffy tangents to work as a cohesive whole. Still, you've got to give the directors credit - with a miniscule budget and a small arsenal of consumer-grade digital cameras, they've made a movie more exciting than most Hollywood mega-blockbusters. With exemplary audio and video and a nice collection of special features, this is recommended. As with most rollercoasters, it'll come with some caveats: if you have a known heart condition or are with small children, get out of line now.

The 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 (1.85:1 aspect ratio) on this 50GB disc is actually fairly stunning, which is sort of a surprise given how the film was put together.

To explain: the directors had to bring 'Crank 2' in on a reduced budget, and they wanted to get all sorts of crazy angles, so their solution was to shoot the movie on consumer grade digital cameras (camcorders, essentially, like the kind you use to document your child's soccer game, ranging from $1000 to $3000). They employed a whole fleet of these cameras, sometimes tossing them between each other to make the shot. If they were wrecked, who cares? It didn't cost them anything.

So, here's the rundown: detail is exceptionally good (as you'd hope), with textures and patterns really standing out; colors are rich and vibrant; skin tones look great; and blacks (what little there are - this baby is shot in the harsh light of day) are deep and dark. Motion looks good for the most part, even when it's super-shaky (there are scenes where the camera is being shaken by the beating of the photographer's heart), although there are a number of technical issues that pop up and try to ruin the fun.

There are instances of aliasing, there are a few jagged edges, and in the 1970's talk show section there seems to be a burnt-out pixel or something (it had me thinking my set had a problem, mercifully that wasn't the case). But honestly, these are minor quibbles that don't detract from the exceptional quality of the image, and can all but be forgiven due to the way they filmed the movie. For what it is and how they shot it, this is outrageously awesome-looking.

Equally awesome is the nearly reference-quality DTS-HD MA 7.1 lossless soundtrack. Sit back, turn it up, and have your hair blown back by this wonderful presentation.

With a movie as loud and aggressive as this, in which every edit, camera zoom, and title card carries with it the thunderous woosh that used to be reserved solely for James Cameron movies, it could have been just overwhelmingly noisy. There's a difference between a mix being loud and it being good.

Thankfully, that's not an issue with this mix.

While atmospheric effects like explosions and the crunching of glass pop with dramatic intensity, and the soundtrack chugs healthily along, everything is so well-calibrated in the 7.1 sound field that nothing is shortchanged, and everything is dynamic. Dialogue, which mostly consists of shouting and F-bombs, remains crisp and easy-to-understand in even the most chaotic scenes, and subtle shifts in the soundtrack, like when it goes from the action scene to the Toho-style monster beat down, add another level of fun.

This is a mix that you can invite all your closest friends over for, crank the volume up until it can't go any further, and just listen in awe. If you don't know what kind of movie this is by now, and how a 7.1 really brings that level of nonstop outrageousness to life, then you haven't been paying attention. To briefly recap, 7.1 has rarely been used this muscularly or effectively. Well done, Lionsgate. This is an exemplary track.

Also included in the audio package is a French Dolby Digital 5.1 track and subtitles in English SDH, English, and Spanish.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reference disc:

Braveheart Video: 4.5/5 Audio: 5/5 (Hover over for price)

Quote:

Filmed in the mid-90s, 'Braveheart' bursts onto Blu-ray with an HD transfer as spectacular as the rolling green hills of Northern England. The 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer of 'Braveheart' is as near perfect as you can get for a catalog title. Sure, the transfer suffers from the occasional white specks and dust, but that's to be expected from a film approaching its fifteenth anniversary. The specks seem to become a bit more noticeable during the second hour of the film, but they calm down again toward the end. Some shots do appear a bit soft, like the quick shots of Longshanks lying in his bed towards the end of the film.

Yet other than these few, and minor complaints, this transfer scores top marks in every category. It's as close to reference material as you can get with a catalog title. The color palette is rich. Deep shades of green are in abundance, and the transfer handles every shade perfectly. The scene of Wallace hunting in the forest is one of the most richly detailed and colorful parts of the film. Everything from strands of hair blowing in the wind, to the fine links on chainmail are clear and concise. Technical anomalies like aliasing, macro-blocking, and noticeable edge enhancement weren't detected. This is a clean, beautiful transfer that reflects quite well the beauty of the cinematography and the film itself.

The superiority of this disc doesn't stop with the video. The uncompressed 5.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack shines in its own way. Truthfully, I could not find one fault with this track. It's engrossing not only in the stirring action sequences, but also in the more subdued instances. The surrounds work magnificently in creating an all encompassing effect during even the quietest moments. Birds chirping, clanging of armor and metal off in the distance, and the rustling of the trees from the wind provide a wonderful ambient atmosphere.

The action sequences do provide the soundtrack with some stellar effects though. The subwoofer shakes the room when hordes of calvary hoof it across the battlefield. It rumbles as fire engulfs straw huts. The surround channels spring to life during the action, making us feel like we're right in the middle of the battle. Swords clang, shields splinter, and warriors moan. James Horner's rousing score blares throughout the room, coming alive, a character unto itself. This high-def soundtrack makes watching 'Braveheart' a truly absorbing experience.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23
Jump to: