Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Goodbye Netflix, hello Blockbuster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Goodbye Netflix, hello Blockbuster Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK, I have been pissed for 2 days so it's time to turn negative into positive. I just canceled Netflix and signed up with Blockbuster and I think I'm going to like it better. Thumbs Up For only 2 bucks a month more I still get 3 movies at a time and I can exchange up to 5 movies at the local store in case we need a movie that night. Bourne Ultimatum shows "short wait" in HD, something I have been waiting for 3 MONTHS from f*ck*** netflix.
Also, all the HD-DVD tiltes are easy to browse through. I found titles I didn't even know existed because Netdix does a pretty good job of hiding new movies. So to Netflix I say, you guys had a great idea and it was fun ride but you were a victim of your own success. I will now wave goodbuy with my middle finger Laughing
If the rest of you really want to make a statement about how you feel RE. HD vs, BD, this is a pretty good way of actually registering on the corporate cash-radar so to speak. It took me about 40 minutes to fill out th registration and transfer movies in my Q.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/collections/hdDvdPackage?pg.1.sort=movieTitle.theatricalRelease%20desc%20nl&pg.1.page=1&pg.1.pageSize=25
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens next week when Blockbuster online makes the same announcement and stops carrying HD-DVD? Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
So what happens next week when Blockbuster online makes the same announcement and stops carrying HD-DVD? Wink

Kal
Good point Kal. The way I see it Blockbuster was hit hard by the Netflix thing a couple of years ago. Their stock plummeted and they were looking at bankruptcy predictions. Since then they have managed to make a considerable comeback by combining their retail stores with on-line renatals. This has tempted me before but I felt some kind of loyalty to Neflix becasue they had a unique idea.
Anyway, by continuing to carry HD they now have yet another advantage over Netflix, maybe not an Earth shattering one but maybe enough to put Netflix in a bad situation. They lost at least one customer today (me) and I will try and see that they lose more.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If enough do it, they'll notice. Voting with your dollars is always the best way to make a point. Nothing else really matters to companies.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably defect, too so make that two customers. My account is on suspension for 90 days. We'll see. I'll probably get antsy to rent some more movies, and I see no reason not to try Blockbuster now that I don't have to deal with bull**** late fees anymore (Netflix did have a positive impact on the industry there, at least).

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also willing to investigate other alternatives. I hated BB initially but if they continue to carry HD DVD online, then they will get my $15 a month!
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just signed up for the online only as to pay the exact same amount for 2 at a time.

I added a bunch of movies and went to my queue. None of them were available. Great! Now I start to experience what everyone has been bitching about all along.

I guess the Netflix distributor close to me in Cedar Rapids, IA didn't have a lot of HD customers so I always got pick of the litter, mostly new unused movies.

Not so with BB online. Let's see how the first two free weeks go and then I might even can these guys.

Who knows..maybe they drop HD DVD in two weeks anyway!
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time getting recent HD-DVD or Blu-ray releases from Blockbuster. There's alway a wait for availability online, and my local BB store is *very* slow to stock new releases. It's so bad that I've given up and now focus on SD DVDs. SD is better than nothing.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I walk by a Blockbuster on the way home from work every day.

Until yesterday, they had 1 rack with Blu-ray and HD-DVD with 50% of shelf space for each.
Now they've expanded to 2 racks but it's split up 75% Blu-ray and 25% HD-DVD.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a few of those Blockbuster store employees must have just graduated from the Best Buy School of Dogmatic Merchandising.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbuster has a shorter wait time in my newQ than Netflix ever did, but I'll have to wait and see how it really turns out.
BTW, teried to start a similar conversation on good ole AVS and they locked the thread. I am so grateful for this place where we can talk about anything without censorship.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=992947
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped over to the AVS thread and expected to see all sorts of fighting going on (hence the reason they'd lock it) but there's nothing! Everyone's talking nicely and there are only 5 posts! Why would they lock that?

Kal

P.S. I like how the first poster asked you the same question I did draganm. Smile

Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Bbuster has a shorter wait time in my newQ than Netflix ever did, but I'll have to wait and see how it really turns out.
BTW, teried to start a similar conversation on good ole AVS and they locked the thread. I am so grateful for this place where we can talk about anything without censorship.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=992947

I see in your AVS post you have Bourne Ultimatum HD in you queue. You should get that, as I got it a couple of weeks ago, but it's no longer a current release, and had been in my queue for a long time before I finally got. I haven't added any HD movies to my queue in a long time (like I mentioned, I've given up on it) and still have 3 that they've never sent me. One is Tekkonkinkreet, which is a Japanese ani movie. The demand for that movie has to be little to none, but it's been in my queue with a status of "short wait" for a LONG time.

Also, they don't stock a lot of new releases in HD. For example, 3:10 to Yuma is available on Blu-ray, but BB doesn't stock it online or in stores.

There's a lot of older stuff available, and if you're interested in that, you should get plenty of movies. I'm interested in current releases, so it's not worth a sh*t for me.

With all BB's negatives, judging from what you say, it still should be an upgrade from Netflix. I was originally a Neflix member. I like BB better.

PS: I drop off all my on-line rentals at my local BB store rather than mail them. They mail your next batch of movies a lot quicker that way.
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I popped over to the AVS thread and expected to see all sorts of fighting going on (hence the reason they'd lock it) but there's nothing! Everyone's talking nicely and there are only 5 posts! Why would they lock that?

Kal

P.S. I like how the first poster asked you the same question I did draganm. Smile

A thread locked on the "A" site Shocked Shocked

That doesnt happen? Does it???

It must have gone away from the script of "buy our products" "Support our vendors"

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
It must have gone away from the script of "buy our products" "Support our vendors"

That reminds me:

SUPPORT THIS FORUM BY SHOPPING AT AMAZON.COM USING THIS LINK!

Smile

Kal

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
With all BB's negatives, judging from what you say, it still should be an upgrade from Netflix. I was originally a Neflix member. I like BB better..
already it's been better for me. I e-mailed them with some complaints about finding HD movies and a real person replied right away. Netflix NEVER answered my e-mails in the 2 years I was there.
Also, when I sh*t-canned Netflix yesterday they got pretty nasty in their canned good-bye's. IT was like
Quote:
"you will still be billed for the entire month but if you don't return your movies in 7 days we will charge you for them"
WTF Confused There's no need to get sh*tty about it. Looks like not only am I saying adios but I will not be going back either.

Phil Smith wrote:
PS: I drop off all my on-line rentals at my local BB store rather than mail them. They mail your next batch of movies a lot quicker that way.
thanks, i'll try that

kal wrote:
SUPPORT THIS FORUM BY SHOPPING AT AMAZON.COM USING THIS LINK!

:)Kal
I never gave AVS a dime, but was happy to make a small donation recently to this site. Especially after downloading some stuff from the FAQ section. Yuo guys are great, and AVS makes you look Golden Very Happy
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the donation draganm! Every little bit helps!

Kal

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the smell of desperation in the morning. Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Desperation: the smell of a bar at closing time on Friday night.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Desperation: the smell of a bar at closing time on Friday night.

Its the bar where all of the HD DVD executives hung out before being handed their pink slips. Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: