Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Netflix says chooses Blu-ray format over HD DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kal wrote:
It'll work because they'll compress the CRAP out of the signal. Yes, it'll still be a 1920x1080 image but it'll look like crap to us but the average person won't care. The files will probably be x5-10 smaller.

Or they'll reduce it to 1280x720 and call it "HD". Some of them are doing it now.

There's no way in hell they'll try and maintain up to 40 Mbit/sec bitrate like you have on HD on disc.

This what Apple is doing already. Their HD movies are 720p encoded to MPEG-4 w/AAC audio. I've heard they look pretty good, but obviously they're not even close to BD/HD. The thing is, it's going to take some sort of disruptive technology to make it happen.

Right now, the boxes to download and play the content are still too expensive for mainstream consumer to get excited about it. Apple is probably by far the biggest and most influential player (based on mindshare anyway) and even the cheapest Apple TV box at $229 is still too expensive in my mind. The Vudu at $300 is almost a non-starter. Get this... They even sell content! But, why oh why would anyone in their right mind purchase content that's trapped on a single piece of hardware? I'll be surprised if they make it a year. No, it's going to take somebody like Apple with a huge market share and good brand visibility, and they're practically going to have to give away the hardware. $99 might do it, if it did other cool things. That might spur people to start downloading movies.

Doug, I think the studios are sending content to the theater owners via satellite. If not, then consider that the theaters are only downloading, what - maybe a couple of new movies per week? So what if it's a 30-gig file and takes two days to completely download? And it's a dedicated connection - they're not trying to run other business critical internet applications on the same pipe that gets the content for the screening rooms. That paradigm won't transfer well to the home, where the connection is shared with other applications (YouTube, iTunes, email, surfing). Kids, I can't work or get my email! Are one of you P2P file sharing or something? No dad! We're downloading the new Hannah Montana movie in HD - to watch three days from now!!! That'll go over well.

Curt, you have people asking about what's beyond 1080p? That's funny. 95% - maybe even 99% of all home theater installations wouldn't benefit from anything beyond 1080p, anyway. That's just silly. Even on Art's 14-foot wide VistaScope, the 1080p source is F'ing incredible - at well under 1x screen width. How many people - even in THIS group - sit at well under 1x screen width? Why the HELL would anyone care about what Japan is working on right now? That's gotta be just pure ignorance. Next time somebody asks you, tell them that unless they're planning on installing a 100-seat theater with a 30-foot wide screen and charging admission, they needn't concern themselves with resolution beyond 1080p. Geez.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
It'll work because they'll compress the CRAP out of the signal. Yes, it'll still be a 1920x1080 image but it'll look like crap to us but the average person won't care. The files will probably be x5-10 smaller.

So is this your prediction of what will kill Blu-ray soon after Blu-ray kills HD DVD?
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
That's funny. 95% - maybe even 99% of all home theater installations wouldn't benefit from anything beyond 1080p, anyway.

What's more, some think it's all about the resolution. What about the temporal aspects of video? Instead of worrying about what's beyond 1080p, the industry and enthusiasts should worry about matching the refresh rate with a multiple of the source's frame rate. OAR is big. What about OFR?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
kal wrote:

So is this your prediction of what will kill Blu-ray soon after Blu-ray kills HD DVD?

I think on-demand will kill of DVD far before Blu-ray as the quality will likely be closer to DVD than HD.
That being said, I don't think movies on disc will ever completely die. People download compressed music like crazy these days but CD isn't 100% dead.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
What's more, some think it's all about the resolution. What about the temporal aspects of video? Instead of worrying about what's beyond 1080p, the industry and enthusiasts should worry about matching the refresh rate with a multiple of the source's frame rate. OAR is big. What about OFR?

Oh, the CE industry is already on that one. Sony, in fact is pushing their '120 hz' 'technology' on their XBR as a way to justify the extra $500-1000 premium over similar products, since everything is already the other buzzword - 1080p - and it would be horrendously expensive to best that figure (for no additional picture quality).

All that marketing stuff works like magic, too. My father-in-law knows I really know my sh*t when it comes to CE tech/trends, and even he was very suspicious of me when I told him 1080p would be wasted in his living room where he sits probably 15' away from the TV. Judging by the look on his face, it looked like I was telling him he didn't need to put gasoline in his car, that water would work just fine. It was definitely a 'no way' kind of look.

SC
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on top of their complete inabiltiy to actually deliver an HD-DVD movie, I get this in the mail today. f*ck NETFLIX

Quote:
We're Going Blu-ray

Dear Dragan,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know how many Netflix accounts have been - or will be - suspended or cancelled today.

SC
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home to find the email in my inbox. Drat.

Anyone going to keep purchasing them, after this latest setback?

I think I will. They'll probably just keep getting cheaper, and I can always rip the main features for viewing in some other format, when that becomes necessary down the road.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make sure you get your Netflix emails, add info@netflix.com to your address book.

Your Account | Queue | Help

We're Going Blu-ray
Dear Rex,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netflix wrote:
In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

Best selection of high-definition titles would entail staying format netural seeing as though Universal and Paramount, among some smaller studios, are still HD DVD exclusive.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspended mine, waiting out the next few months to see if they swap back due to outcry but not counting on it.

Will cancel.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Well people are also looking past 1080p. I've had two calls in the last week asking me about whatever Japan is working on currently.

I told both people the same thing: I have no idea, I'm still working on converting people from hooking their HD boxes via an Svideo cable...

Well, at least they're not using composite. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
Netflix wrote:
In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

Best selection of high-definition titles would entail staying format netural seeing as though Universal and Paramount, among some smaller studios, are still HD DVD exclusive.

I know - isn't that complete bull****? They're like the politician who's trying to explain how great it is that they're robbing you blind. Pure unadulterated horse sh*t is what that is.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: