Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone still use the big satellite dish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Anyone still use the big satellite dish? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
With the convenience of the small satellite dishes sold by Dish Network and DirecTV, those huge satellite dishes have pretty much gone away. But not totally as I still see the occasional one in rural areas. Does anyone still use one of the big satellite dishes? Can they receive HD programming? Is there any advantage to them over a small dish? My situation doesn't allow for a big dish - heck, I would barely get away with a small dish, considering the hills, trees and buildings around me. No room whatsoever for a large one.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few BUD users here. One of the local guys has one (and it is hooked up to a 1208/2) and he is not even out in the country. The signal is better than DirecTV or Dish, but not much better than a good cable provider. They have HD but have a more limited offering than other providers. The available C/Ku band HDTV is (to my knowledge):
Discovery HD Theater
HBO East
HBO West
Showtime West
Encore HD East
Encore HD West
Starz! HD East
Starz! HD West
PBS
Wealth TV

(East and west are insignificant as thy show the same thing.) This list pales in comparison to the HD I'm getting from Verizon.

Here is the forum you seek:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find some info interesting in these two threads:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3480
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4038

One real advantage of a BUD (big ugly dish) is ZERO rain fade, no matter how big the snow flakes are or how dark the rain cloud is. Probably not worth all the downsides, though. I have a Channel Master GainMaster dish and I rarely ever get rain fade. Only the very heaviest snow or nastiest rain storm/clouds. It's a once-a-month for a few minutes kind of thing in the summer and just a few times in the winter.

My old man still has a nice BUD in his back yard and we've been toying around with playing with, but it hasn't moved up the priority list, yet.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some kids using one as a toboggan once. It was the fiberglass model. I think they scored it from the cable company when they moved their offices across the street. Looked like a good time Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I designed several BUD satellite receivers, but could never get the better half to let me put one of them ugly things up in the yard Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD in the analog realm kicked the crap out of the Ku digital dishes. Not sure if that's still true today, but about 4 years ago the difference was very noticable.
ambok

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many people is still using big satellite dish. . . Very Happy
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I saw some kids using one as a toboggan once.

Line it with aluminum foil and you can make a helluva solar cooker. Smile
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one at my old Duplex mounted on the detached garage. I Had , well still have the 4Dtv receiver but it has an error code. Anyone want to try to fix it?

It did catch HD stuff back then but i didn't have a HDTV. When i built my new home in 1999 the dish just sat up against my house in the back yard where it still is today.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: