Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

hdtv on a htpc

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manic

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: hdtv on a htpc Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
How are people using their htpc to watch hdtv?
I am hoping to watch the superbowl in hdtv.

I am looking for the name of tuners,software, any other devices. I am most interested in a broadband solution (Dish) if there is one.

I am get confused when I read the posts, because I am not sure if it applies to only OTA or not.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of OTA solutions for HDTV on a PC, and lots of folks are doing that. There are also some kludgy solutions if you have cable (depending on the cable co and whether they enable the FireWire outputs on the box). Check out the Fusion and MyHD cards. There are also some USB dongle-type devices if you have a fast computer. Pay attention to the specs, as some work with Windows MCE and some do not.

https://www.digitalconnection.com/store/Product_List.asp?CID=3&CAT=HDTV%20TUNER%20CARD

As for satellite, there are no good solutions right now, other than hacking the satellite box (which is obviously not a simple solution).

I've seen mentioned a couple of times a new solution announced at CES - a PCI card that could record from component, which would allow you to use a satellite box, but I don't know anything about it.

There's a start for you. Somebody else can chime in with more.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: