Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Toshiba HD-A2 audio problems with SD DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Their trouble shooting guide is pretty much worthless...

Quote:
The center speaker is not
working or is very quiet?
The center speaker is not connected properly. Check the center speaker connections (page 21).
The Stereo, Direct, or Orchestra listening mode
is selected.
The center speaker is not used with these modes
(page 34).
The volume of the center speaker is set at minimum.
Check the volume of the center speaker (page 27).
The currently selected speaker configuration
doesn’t use the center speaker.
Check the speaker configuration (page 25).
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, not very helpful. Yes, I've calibrated the speaker levels with the built-in test tone.

I'll try fixing it at DTS and see what that does. Not sure what that'll do if I get a DD-only disk, but maybe at least it'll give us another clue.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, I am an idiot.

This problem first turned up after putting an SD DVD in the A2. No dialog. So I put the DVD into the Momitsu, dialog, kids were happy, I went off to work in the other room.

So "obviously" it was working right with the Momitsu, right? Welllll, maybe. Since it had "obviously" been working right with one source, I didn't bother to re-test the center speaker. <--- STUPID!

Finally in desperation I ran the receiver's test tone. Howaboutdat, the center channel is dead!!! **D'OH!!**

I'm not quite sure what happened. I don't know if the center speaker's wire got pulled loose recently, or what. (Kids were in the HT unsupervised at the time, so anything is possible.) I'm not sure if the receiver (when listening to the Momitsu) was in some kind of mode where it was splitting the center channel to the fronts. I dunno. But the center wire WAS pulled loose. Fix that, and shazam! The dialog came back. *Damn* it's amazing how much better speakers work when you actually connect them to the receiver......... Embarassed

So at least I've learned a bit more about the Byzantine arrangement of surround modes &etc in my receiver. Maybe now I can actually set it up right. *sigh*

Sorry for the wasted time, gents...
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! That is rich. I have definitely posted on forums for help before and it ended up being my own fault.

The difference between me and you is that you admitted it!

er...wait I just admitted it to...darn.

Glad it is working!
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
My God, I am an idiot.

This problem first turned up after putting an SD DVD in the A2. No dialog. So I put the DVD into the Momitsu, dialog, kids were happy, I went off to work in the other room.

So "obviously" it was working right with the Momitsu, right? Welllll, maybe. Since it had "obviously" been working right with one source, I didn't bother to re-test the center speaker. <--- STUPID!

Finally in desperation I ran the receiver's test tone. Howaboutdat, the center channel is dead!!! **D'OH!!**

I'm not quite sure what happened. I don't know if the center speaker's wire got pulled loose recently, or what. (Kids were in the HT unsupervised at the time, so anything is possible.) I'm not sure if the receiver (when listening to the Momitsu) was in some kind of mode where it was splitting the center channel to the fronts. I dunno. But the center wire WAS pulled loose. Fix that, and shazam! The dialog came back. *Damn* it's amazing how much better speakers work when you actually connect them to the receiver......... Embarassed

So at least I've learned a bit more about the Byzantine arrangement of surround modes &etc in my receiver. Maybe now I can actually set it up right. *sigh*

Sorry for the wasted time, gents...
LOL! Mr. Green Good one Gary! We've all done that same crap.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Gary, I had added a line in one of my earlier post's about you checking connections. I deleted it before posting because I didn't want to insult you Very Happy. Never over look the obvious no matter how trivial.

Well I have to admit, I've torn my system apart trying to figure out why there was no sound only to realize I didn't have a cable connected. Of course that was over 10 years ago...... lol Wink

Glad you got it going.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
GEBrown

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am guilty of looking at layer 3 problems (routing) before checking layer 1 (wiring,physical connections).

LOL

But the GOOD news is that you learned something from all of this - I hate it when a problem just goes away and you never know why it occurred in the first place.

Gary

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: