Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

nvidia+vim-hd and detected "native" res in XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: nvidia+vim-hd and detected "native" res in XP Reply with quote

The resurfacing of that powerstrip thread (great link from Kal in there, btw, really clarified some things for me) has me thinking about this again, and a question I've wanted to ask. Note that I'm not using powerstrip at this point, however.

One of the problems I was having when tinkering with custom resolutions was that when I attempted certain ones, 1704x960 for example, the system (I say "system" here because I am not sure whether to blame nvidia drivers or something about XP) insisted on scaling the image in weird ways, or putting it in that pan-with-the-mouse mode where the full resolution is "virtual" and extends beyond the actual desktop, sometimes very oddly, like compressed half-width on screen with the the vertical panned. Changing the scaling option in the custom res dialog doesn't fix this.

The root, or at least a contributory factor, of this problem seems like it might be the fact that windows and/or the driver thinks my device has a native resolution of 1280x720. I'm not sure where this is coming from -- maybe the moome card is reporting it? I can't figure out how to change it, though. When I use the pre-set HD resolutions, like 1080i/p, this scaling problem does not manifest. It only seems to happen with certain custom resolutions.

Anyone know anything about this issue?

I have other problems still, notably that I have not been able to get the width down enough at 960P to have the whole desktop inside the active image area, regardless of what I do with the porches and sync width, so I may still try powerstip as AR suggested to me a while back, but this erroneous native res thing has been bugging me.

lyd

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: