Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Hacking PDVD 3516 to play from HDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hacking PDVD 3516 to play from HDD Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Since I couldn't find any better answer, I decided to try ripping Spiderman to hard disk and seeing if I had any better results with it that way. Still working on that, but in the meantime I decided to give a try to the method of copying selected files from older versions of powerdvd to the latest version in order to enable playback from file.

It seems to have worked. Files I copied were:

From 3319a:
Navfilter\HDDVDNav.ax
Navfilter\CLBDROMNav.ax
Navfilter\CLBDRENav.ax

From 3319f:
PowerDVD.exe
*.imp

I tested by playing the rip of 3:10 to Yuma that was still on my drive from the other day, and there seemed to be no problems.

Of course, what fixes got rolled back along with the play-from-file change is an open question, but I suppose I'll just have to wait and see on that one. When I get a chance I'll try Superbad to see if that still works. It was hanging with versions <3516.

lyd

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice hack. I'm still running the old version 3319a. I haven't tried any of the new new movies though.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice indeed! Thanks for posting Lyd.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, but just for record, I didn't do the hard work here. A guy on the Slysoft forums worked out the changes, and the info has been repeated on AVS and a couple of other places around the 'net.

The only thing I puzzled out on my own was that if you (or at least when I) copy the powerdvd.sim file from 3319f as suggested by some sources, you get prompted to activate again when you launch the app, but it no longer takes the key. I activated 3516 and then copied all of the above but left the .sim file alone, and this worked for me.

I have been messing with the arcsoft player and not tested much since I did this, but it did fail to play Spiderman 3 (black screen, menu never came up) in this configuration when I briefly tried it the other day. I did not get around to copying back the original 3516 files to see if that changed this behavior.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another BD title fail to play (Ratatouille) with the hacked version. Just a black screen after selecting play from the DVD menu. Swapping the original files back in fixed it.

I guess this is not the solution.

lyd

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Betamax, there was some Sony quality.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just convert your rips to ISO with ImgBurn and Mount them as images with Daemon Tools, and use 3516.

Or...you do know it's possible to play back the raw EVO/M2TS files in Zoomplayer or MPlayer? You might need to buy CoreAVC and scrounge Sonic Cineplayer 4.3 codecs...

...and a really, really fast PC. For some reason my Opteron 165 at 2.7ghz is not fast enough to play many VC-1 titles using either the WMP11 video decoder or ffdshow decoder - Powerdvd is fine, even without hardware accel.

AVC titles are fine, and I'm reading up on reencoding a select few VC-1 titles to AVC....because I WANT GAMMA. And crappy PDVD has no Gamma and the driver Overlay controls don't affect it GRRRR.
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
Just convert your rips to ISO with ImgBurn and Mount them as images with Daemon Tools, and use 3516.

Really? Well that's OK, then. I had read somewhere or other that this did not work either, so I never even tried it with 3516. If it does, no problem.

Quote:
Or...you do know it's possible to play back the raw EVO/M2TS files in Zoomplayer or MPlayer? You might need to buy CoreAVC and scrounge Sonic Cineplayer 4.3 codecs...

...and a really, really fast PC. For some reason my Opteron 165 at 2.7ghz is not fast enough to play many VC-1 titles using either the WMP11 video decoder or ffdshow decoder - Powerdvd is fine, even without hardware accel.

Yeah, I know this, but I didn't really want to go down that road if I could avoid it.

Quote:
AVC titles are fine, and I'm reading up on reencoding a select few VC-1 titles to AVC....because I WANT GAMMA. And crappy PDVD has no Gamma and the driver Overlay controls don't affect it GRRRR.

After making the change to the colorspace_option reg key I don't have any need for additional gamma adjustment in PDVD. Did you give that a try?

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colourspace = 1 or something like that to stop the expansion? Is that what you mean?

Anyway, when I play back with ZP I can see that PDVD needs Gamma. It's ok, but VMR9 with Gamma tweaked looks much better.

Just need a faster PC....

But yes, mounting an ISO works fine in 3516.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: