Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ecrabb's theater photos... finally.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Nashou66 wrote:
This thread is what made me not want to have a big meet next weekend(joking), my place sucks compared to yours!!!(not Joking)

Athanasios
Shocked

Gol danged SC!!!!

ECRABB SUCKS!

Wink

View user's photo album (3 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

betel wrote:
Have you considered custom built-in sub-woofers? When I built my theater in the basement, I built 4th order bandpass subs into the ceiling.

I'm absolutely considering custom subs, but just haven't decided on location/size/design. IB is out because I really want good isolation. Currently, I can watch movies or game when it's pretty loud, and unless I'm really getting carried away, you can barely hear anything in the bedrooms... Only what sounds like a very distant, barely audible thunderstorm. So, I don't want to compromise that, if possible.

I haven't really thought about a bandpass sub... Whatever design I use, I'd like the subs to keep up with the rest of my system... With the crown amps and M&K's, my mains stay clean to just about 105dB... The two old M&K subs don't go anywhere near that loud save for maybe at 60-80hz. I'd like to get into the ballpark of flat to 18hz or so, and at 105dB. I LOVE cranking up the concert discs, and action movies are like a theme park ride when it's done right.

Interestingly, in my shots of the screen wall of my room, the adjoining wall to the right is storage, and I've already built heavy stud-framed storage shelves. I could easily puncture that wall to do something with a bandpass sub, as long as I can keep my isolation reasonably intact. I'll have to do some research and see if/how they'll meet my objectives.

Thanks for the info!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
ECRABB SUCKS!

Thanks, John! Smile

SC
Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice room. Enjoy! I can already picture Curt asleep in the 2nd row... Wink

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just . . . wow.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides accurate bass responce, I think the big plus of a built-in bandpass sub is the cosmetics. You're right about loosing sound isolation if you build the enclosure between floors. There are bedrooms above both sets of my subs and I've been told the bass is quite lound during use. In my situation, the joist are only 10" wide so not much room left for sound isolation.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, 6x7! Man, you guys are making me feel guilty!

Betel - I can't go between floors - ceiling in HT and floor above are both finished. I'd go through the right wall into the storage space... I assume if the enclosure were massive enough, and if I applied some isolation between the enclosure and the shelving it was sitting on, and I designed it right, the sub could only touch the HT wall where it pierced the wall. Even that could be isolated somewhat and hidden. I have room to play with in there, too.

I'll do some research on ported/sealed/bandpass. My room is totally dedicated, and I don't mind a big enclosure - especially if I can custom build it and control the shape somewhat. It would be nice to eliminate the big box(es) from the floor, though.

Thanks!

SC
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a trip to Ames is in order with a stop off in Des-Moines.

Nice work, With a beautiful finish.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice SC...One question....The screen, this is a Photoshop Job...right?

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
I feel a trip to Ames is in order with a stop off in Des-Moines.

Nice work, With a beautiful finish.

Dude, you are welcome to stop by any time!!! Just give me some notice so I can be around and spend a little time. Thanks for the nice comments!

MikeEby wrote:
Very nice SC...One question....The screen, this is a Photoshop Job...right?

Thanks, Mike - Definitely a Photoshop job on that frame to put the logo on the screen. None anywhere else.

SC
imprez25

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great theater! Looks like a nice place to sit back and watch some movies or play some X box.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice doesn't even come close to describing your HT. The behind the scenes details must be staggering. (Gawd I have so much more to do!) Laughing

Do you use bias lighting? I added a 2 ft long incandescent tube light (rope light but in a hard clear lexan sleeve) with a temp of ~32K. I personally found the difference on a black (wall) background impressive and that's on a DIY BOC screen with a budget gamma solution in line.

Love it! Take a bow man. Thumbs Up

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not read this entire thread. Like a good ADHD person, I just looked at the pictures and some of their captions. Smile So, what was the decision on the seating color choice?
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I did not read this entire thread. Like a good ADHD person, I just looked at the pictures and some of their captions. Smile So, what was the decision on the seating color choice?

Read the thread and you'll find out. It's all there in black and white and red.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imprez25 wrote:
Great theater! Looks like a nice place to sit back and watch some movies or play some X box.

Thanks! Yes, it's definitely my "kick back" place. Last night, I started playing Call of Duty at midnight, and finally shut it off and 4am... Which is why I only play games every month or two - because I have zero self-discipline to turn it off. Unfortunately, my kids just want to get up when they want to get up. For some reason, they don't seem to care whether I stayed up until 4am playing games. Wink

Nice 'shop work, perisoft! Wink

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
Nice doesn't even come close to describing your HT. The behind the scenes details must be staggering. (Gawd I have so much more to do!) Laughing

It wasn't really too bad. I went from open studs and nothing more over a Christmas break, to painting and putting carpet in the room in probably May. I rarely worked during the week, and far from every weekend. My room wasn't too bad, because I had to balance my desire to have some nice details with my desire to sit on my ass and watch movies. Wink For instance, I originally planned this detailed soffit with a lighted reveal for a "skylight" feel... I nixed because I have bigger fish to fry.

JustGreg wrote:
Do you use bias lighting? I added a 2 ft long incandescent tube light (rope light but in a hard clear lexan sleeve) with a temp of ~32K. I personally found the difference on a black (wall) background impressive and that's on a DIY BOC screen with a budget gamma solution in line.

It's not really bias lighting... It's just cheap old rope light in adhesive channel. I knew I was going to build my screen, and that it was going to "float" off the wall, so I just decided to make a design detail out of it. I don't use it for movies - it's pitch black then - it's more for sporting events, when we have friends over and we have the lights dimmed and we're talking over it.

JustGreg wrote:
Love it! Take a bow man. Thumbs Up

Thank you, sir!!! It definitely turned out way nicer than I imagined.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Read the thread and you'll find out. It's all there in black and white and red.

Laughing

Most everything is in the first post, Wan... It would probably take you less than 5 minutes to learn more than you ever needed to know about my room... But, I'll save you the trouble. The chairs came from ebay... The set of 8 cost less tan one would have new. That was enough for me to design a room around! Smile

SC
imprez25

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

Thanks! Yes, it's definitely my "kick back" place. Last night, I started playing Call of Duty at midnight, and finally shut it off and 4am... Which is why I only play games every month or two - because I have zero self-discipline to turn it off. Unfortunately, my kids just want to get up when they want to get up. For some reason, they don't seem to care whether I stayed up until 4am playing games. Wink

SC

Too funny, I played until around 3 am. Yeah the kids still want to get up around 7. Go figure!
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

SC

Ehh, the font weight and kerning are totally wrong; I had to do an auto-select on the text to get the weight down and it messed up the anti-aliasing, too. Lazy, lazy! Also, I haven't got my mouse down here right now... photoshopping with a track pad is like driving a car with high heels! Very Happy

Thanks, though. And hell, forget your room, which is great - the invite was awesome too! It's nice to see someone who cares about design even for little things, rather than just firing up word, pasting in clip art, and doing 'select all, comic sans, 18 points, center'. Thumbs Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: