Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

LG GGC-H20L Drive Problem..FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I love to rant, but mostly when I've missed my night out of hot wings and Corona. lol

Glad to see you cancled your order.

Get searching for another 939 board quick though. They are getting hard to find.

By the way the built in 6150 on these boards don't have enough gut's to do 1080P from HD-DVD. So I upgraded to a Geforce 8600. Now I can do 1080P with no Powerstrip support and can't get a non-overscanned picture out of this machine.

I'm reluctantly looking at ATi agian. Just because they support Powestrip.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

I'm reluctantly looking at ATi agian. Just because they support Powestrip.

I am with you there, was a big NVidia fan, but my ATI HD2600Pro just works. I have beat it up bad with powerstrip too.

I also am bias towards Intel, but that was just because they have always perfomed well for me. I'm not a gammer so it if you are AMD/Nvidia might be the right choice.

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MAY have a couple of games here or there Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Some interesting news Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with LG and the tech told me that the drive has problems reading certain kinds of sata controllers. He also said that certain chipsets (Like you said before) are unable to properly play the drive. Also he did say that LG is going to address this issue with a new firmware update that should address any chipset issues. When I asked if that would be sometime this year he said yes. Not quite sure that means December or next week. When I told him that I was little upset since this issues were not addressed before the drive shipped to customers that had no idea, he did apologize and offer three choices: one RMA the drive back and see if LG will refund the RMA cost (unlikely), two; purchase a SATA PCI controller and three: buy a SATA to USB 2 adapter and route the cable to the nearest USB 2. I told him that I was shocked that LG's response to their drive not working right was to buy more computer hardware or a somwhat hardware "hack" to get the drive to work. Crazy. Anywho, I just got called one of the IT guys at my job and he just so happens to have a SATA PCI Contoller Card. I did take another look at my slot situation and I think with small small cutting and some bending I could get the card in. If not I did order the USB to SATA adapter and had overnight on that sucker and should get it soon. I will just keep plugging away.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news Reply with quote

joshg21 wrote:
I just got off the phone with LG and the tech told me that the drive has problems reading certain kinds of sata controllers. He also said that certain chipsets (Like you said before) are unable to properly play the drive. Also he did say that LG is going to address this issue with a new firmware update that should address any chipset issues. When I asked if that would be sometime this year he said yes. Not quite sure that means December or next week. When I told him that I was little upset since this issues were not addressed before the drive shipped to customers that had no idea, he did apologize and offer three choices: one RMA the drive back and see if LG will refund the RMA cost (unlikely), two; purchase a SATA PCI controller and three: buy a SATA to USB 2 adapter and route the cable to the nearest USB 2.

Just updated my HTPC thread with pictures of the SATA to USB external to USB internal work around
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92579

I can't add a PCI adaptor, all my slots are full and the guy at the store couldn't guaranty compatability with the drive!

joshg21 wrote:

I told him that I was shocked that LG's response to their drive not working right was to buy more computer hardware or a somwhat hardware "hack" to get the drive to work. Crazy. Anywho, I just got called one of the IT guys at my job and he just so happens to have a SATA PCI Contoller Card. I did take another look at my slot situation and I think with small small cutting and some bending I could get the card in. If not I did order the USB to SATA adapter and had overnight on that sucker and should get it soon. I will just keep plugging away.

Plugging, unplugging, this cable, that cable $20 here, and $20 gone Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one reason I stick with an Intel chipset. Maybe not the fastest but it seems that peripheral manufacturers all test their products with Intel. I wish it wasn't that way but it always seems to be always an issue with new products.

Good job documenting the SATA adapter.

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
This is one reason I stick with an Intel chipset. Maybe not the fastest but it seems that peripheral manufacturers all test their products with Intel. I wish it wasn't that way but it always seems to be always an issue with new products.

Good job documenting the SATA adapter.

Mike

Yes Mike, I see your point. I've gone back and forth between Intel/AMD.
I've had Cyrix (who remembers their craptastic attempt in the pentium days? 10fps slower than an Intell chip! ) and then AMD.
Back to Intel in my OC'd cleron 300 @503Mhz, dual PIII 500's then 800's then AMD Athalon XP chips and now the AMD X2's. My next one will be Intel or AMD depending on what I want when I build the next HTPC or gaming machine in 2 years or so.

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks: You wouldn't happen to know of some where I can get a copy of that 3319a version do you? I did purchase the regular download, paid and got my key I just want AnyDVD to work.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme see what I can do for you. I remember it took me 4 hours to find it last weekend, and of course I'm not at home where my bookmarks are.

Gimme a few minutes.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aparently I'm more awake and not nearly as drunk as last Saturday. Here ya go.

Go here and WAIT for the download. Usualy 2-5 minutes.
http://rs223.rapidshare.com/files/63299127/Cyberlink_Power_DVD_Ultra.rar

then download this to unrar it:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: HOLY CRAP IT WORKS Reply with quote

AnalogRocks: IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS..kind of.

I wanted to give it another shot, so I reinstalled my OS and installed all of the video drivers, the 3319a version of PowerDVD (thanks for the link) and also installed the UDF 2.5. After that I hooked my 360 hddvd drive up and I was prompted to find a driver. I let Windows look and was told that the driver I had was the best and the hddvd drive was shown as"Unknown USB device". This was a 2 this morning so I shut it off and went to bed. Today at lunch I turned the pc back on and Windows said that I needed to download some updates. Kind of odd because I ran the updated until it told me that I no more updates. So I installed the updates then rebooted. After it came back on my 360 drive was found and I could read the file structure. So I installed AnyDVD HD and the drive was found and the disc was scanned. I then assigned PowerDVD to the .evo files and it started to play back on the 360 drive. Success!!!Before PowerDVD would not work so that is great. Then I decided to try the LG drive and to my utter amazement...it worked!!!!The play back is horrible and it skipps around very bad, but it works. No adapter, no SATA PCI card, nothing. The hardware has not changed one bit, only the software. I can't believe that it actually works. I did try to get a print screen of it but for some reason the actual movie image would not take. Is that something that was disabled I wonder? Any tips on getting the playback to work right?[/img]
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the pic

untitled.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.87 KB
 Viewed:  17941 Time(s)

untitled.JPG

joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can even see that Drive J I think it is, can see the King Kong HD DVD. That is my LG drive.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshg21 wrote:
You can even see that Drive J I think it is, can see the King Kong HD DVD. That is my LG drive.

Dang...seems like a lot of trouble. My drive just worked. Good you got it working though.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its not really working...the play back is unviewable. It skips, video pops...just nuts.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Try the SATA to USB adaptor when you get it. As we discussed above some ( most all? ) of the SATA chip set's I have seen don't like optical drives.

CRT.

HD done right!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshg21 wrote:
No its not really working...the play back is unviewable. It skips, video pops...just nuts.

That sucks, I know you were considering a new Motheboard.

This one should work well. The $50 rebate makes it a very good value. The exteral SATA connector is a nice feature.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186119

This CPU should work very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115030

This is probably not what you wanted to hear...but though I would suggest it.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things just crazy. For some reason I get this warning that my VGA fan stopped on the MSI NX8600GTS and the temp are reaching 116F, but the crazy thing is that my case lid is off my pc and I can see the damn fan spinning. Guess I had some bad driver install I guess.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try rolling back your video driver one version maybe?

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to start up in safe mode and uninstall the msi stuff. now everything is great. I download some utilities from nvidia and they say everything is great. GPU temp is 49C and my fan is humming. Has to be the msi stuff. The card is a msi nx8600gts 256mb diamond. Anybody else have this card and having issues?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: