Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

LG GGC-H20L Drive Problem..FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: LG GGC-H20L Drive Problem..FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just bought a LG GGC-H20L blu-ray/HD DVD drive and got it installed. My hardware manager correctly shows the drive and shows that the driver is working good. Also I have updated the firmware for the drive to 1.02. When I put in a HD DVD disc or Blu-ray, the DVD-RAM Icon in "My Documents" changes to CD Player! Same thing for Blu-ray. Also the odd thing is that I also have an external Xbox 360 HD DVD drive and it does the same thing. Now both drives will play standard DVDs and music CDs, but no HD DVD or Blu-ray. I really need some help as I have been dicking around with this for the past 2 days. Whatever you got would be a great help.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us some info on your system's specifications and which operating system you are running.

You may find the answer in this forum too. We've all had problems with the Xbox drive and the LG; me included.

If you're running Windows XP have you installed the UDF driver? Witout it the HD disks can't be read.

See this thread: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7971

and here's the driver: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,6944-order,1-page,1-c,downloads-partner,pcadvisor/download.html

make sure you have your pop up blocker disabled in order for the download to start.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just bought this drive after every one else's hardships with it? Boy, you are a glutton for punishment.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Yah, Yah. Reply with quote

I heard about everyone's problem but hey I am one for a challenge. I did just find another thread about the UDF 2.5 Driver is needed. I am going to try that over my lunch break and see what happens. I thought that the 2.5 version was on XP, but I just spoke to our IT tech here at my work and he said that version is only native to Vista. Kind of funny that LG says you do not need any extra UDF driver. Way to be LG!

Running XP Pro Service Pack 2

Compaq Asus A8AE-LE Motherboard (Compaq SR1630NX)
PowerDVD Ultra
Connected to SATA150 port on mobo
MSI NX8600GTS 256MB Video Card
2 IDE Seagate 7200 RPM Drives
Striker 7.1 Audio Card
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Forgot Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 2.19GHz.
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: No Go Reply with quote

I downloaded the UDF link that you sent and when I rebooted I got a message that said "Drivers cause unstable will not load". Pretty much the same problem that other guy had, but this time I still have the same problem with the drive changing to a CD drive.
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Some Progress Reply with quote

Ok so the other UDF Driver didn't seem to work so I found another one (http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_Windows_page1.html) and now the drive will see the disk, both hd dvd and blu-ray and I can read the file structure, but it is a no go on playing them. When I click to open then PowerDVD loads up and then starts playing a black screen.
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Progress Reply with quote

joshg21 wrote:
Ok so the other UDF Driver didn't seem to work so I found another one (http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_Windows_page1.html) and now the drive will see the disk, both hd dvd and blu-ray and I can read the file structure, but it is a no go on playing them. When I click to open then PowerDVD loads up and then starts playing a black screen.

Your black screen may be caused my a number of things. What disk are you trying to play, what version of PowerDVD are you running, are you using Anydvd HD, is your entire video chain HDCP compliant?

FYI, I bought this drive a few months ago and have used it in both XP and Vista, other than a couple PowerDVD issues the drive has worked perfectly Smile

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: AnyDVD Reply with quote

I did happen to have a trail version of AnyDVD HD and I did just load it up. Figuring that if I can read the file structure then maybe I would be able to copy the HD DVD & Blu-ray disks. After I loaded it up AnyDVD located both drives and also located The Simpons blu-ray disc in the LG drive and Transformers hd dvd in my 360 hd dvd drive. I was able to begin ripping the blu-ray disc to my hd but I had to go back to work. I am going to check on it after work. I also did try one other thing. I did also have a trial version of PowerDVD 6 with HDDVD support and that is what I tried to use after installing the UDF driver. I am going to reinstall PowerDVD 7 Ultra tonight and see what happens.

Wanman: I just read your woes with the LG and it seems like the very same thing is happening to me, but I do not have the ability to change any memory settings in my bios. I have a stock compaq mobo. I have thought that might be my problem, but given the fact that it is a 939 mobo, I might be hard pressed to find a good one. If you got any suggestions that would be great.
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: HDCP Chain Reply with quote

My video card is HDCP compliant and so is the drive, but my monitor is not. Just using the VGA input on the back of my LCD tv. My tv manual states that it cannot accept a pc signal over the HDMI connection.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a problem with the SATA implimentation on my motherboard. I ultimately had to use a SATA to USB 2 adaptor to connect the drive. I could see the file structure on the disk's. No problem. I would get to the point where PowerDVD would start then crash, hang, blue screen and sometimes if I started the PC with a disk in the driver it would get stuck in a reboot loop.

So keep that in mind. It may be hardware related too.

Also the newever versions of Power DVD won't play nice with AnyDVD-HD. The version you want is 3319a. It's the lattest one that will play nice with AnyDVD HD.

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions for the adpater? I did search minova and found a PowerDVD 7 Ultra 3319a update. Is that what I need?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's the version ,try the software first.

The adaptor I got was a generic IDE133/laptop drive/SATA to USB 2.0.

It looks like this:

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give the adapter a try. I am supposed to contact LG tonight. While the adapter comes in I might as well try with LG. I have thought of replacing the mobo with another 939 board and see if that helps. My SATA ports are only 150 and the board was made in 03-04, so it is pretty old. I am interested in seeing if a SATA II would have any better luck? I will give the software another try tonight and report back. Thanks so much for the help.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.
My motherboard is a 939 also from 2005 with a Nforce 430 chipset SATA 150 too.

see my rant's in this thread for more info : http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120&start=180

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: One more quick question Reply with quote

My current motherboard is a stock Compaq Asus ASAE-LE. It is pretty crap and way restrictive being a compaq and all. So with my xmas money I bought a Foxconn 6150K8MD mobo. I didn't have enough money for a new AM2 or Itel processor and mobo so I stuck with 939 to keep my AMD 64 X2 4200. The Foxconn uses a nVidia Geforce 6150 chipset, a nvidia 6150 Northbridge and a nvidia MCP430 Southbridge. The reason why is I have gotten some other feed back that the chipset on my Asus mobo (ATI Radeon xpress 200 ATI RS482 Northbridge and a SB400 Southbridge. Also the Foxconn has 4 SATA 3.0Gb/s instead of the dead SATA150 that I have on my Asus. I guess my question is do you think that the Asus mobo might be my problem? I already ordered the SATA to USB 2 so if my new mobo does not do the trick at least I will have that.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: One more quick question Reply with quote

joshg21 wrote:
My current motherboard is a stock Compaq Asus ASAE-LE. It is pretty crap and way restrictive being a compaq and all.

So with my xmas money I bought a Foxconn 6150K8MD mobo.

I didn't have enough money for a new AM2 or Itel processor and mobo so I stuck with 939 to keep my AMD 64 X2 4200. The Foxconn uses a nVidia Geforce 6150 chipset, a nvidia 6150 Northbridge and a nvidia MCP430 Southbridge. The reason why is I have gotten some other feed back that the chipset on my Asus mobo (ATI Radeon xpress 200 ATI RS482 Northbridge and a SB400 Southbridge. Also the Foxconn has 4 SATA 3.0Gb/s instead of the dead SATA150 that I have on my Asus. I guess my question is do you think that the Asus mobo might be my problem? I already ordered the SATA to USB 2 so if my new mobo does not do the trick at least I will have that.

Hold on which board are you curently running? The Asus or the Foxcon?

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the stock Compaq board. I just bought the Foxconn and I have not gotten yet. Still running the stock mobo that came with my Compaq SR1630NX PC that I bought several years ago. Now the only stock thing left is the motherboard.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh I have some bad new for you....the Foxcon is only one number away from the one I'm running. I have the 6150K8MA-8EKRS and as far as I can tell the only difference between this one and your new 6150K8MD you have one the way is one of the PCI slots has been replaced with a usless (for HTPC ) PCIe 1x slot.

You will definitly need the SATA to USB 2 cable. It's the Nvidia 430 chip set that has givin me nothing but grief. Unfortunatly I can't find another Socket 939 board with 3xPCI and 1 PCIe 16x slot.

Oh and I've had one Foxconn die on me already. Hope you have better luck.

CRT.

HD done right!
joshg21

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Well then Reply with quote

I just cancelled the order for the Foxconn board. Thank god just in time, had not left the warehouse yet and didn't have to pay. Got any recomendations for a good HTPC mobo? Thanks again for all of your help. I know taking your time to answer some guys problems and rants isn't high on your list so I appreciate your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: