Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Transistor Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Transistor Replacement Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have several Polk PSW200 amps that I use for subwoofers, couch shaking devices, etc.

Recently, while "testing" one of the amps, I managed to cook it (gee, I wonder how that happened?).

I took it apart (such as it is) and found one of the power transistors was broken and charred so I'm going to guess that's what I smelled burning.

I admit to being somewhat ham-fisted when it comes to repairing electronics, but this actually looks like something I could fix by de-soldering the old one and replacing it.

The transistor in question is described as "P-channel enhancement-mode power field-effect transistor", it is part number RFP10P12 and is in a TO-220AB case.

I've been trying to locate a retailer of such a device and the closest I've come is a grab-bag from what used to be Radio Shack.

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know of a retailer where I might get a couple of these transistors?

2. Is there a more readily-available but different transistor in the same case that I can substitute, confident it will perform the intended function?

Thanks for the help, folks....

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a MOSFET.

http://www.chipdocs.com/datasheets/datasheet-pdf/GESS/RFM10P12.html

Change ALL of the MOSFETS as I'll bet the others are damaged, and usually a short like that will backfire into the driver stages of the unit. This is probably best left for a tech.
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Curt. I did notice another device with the same markings alongside, and they were both up against the heat sink so it was my plan to replace both once I can locate the parts.

This amp doesn't owe me anything and I have very little invested in it, so it would be more for my own personal thrill of actually having repaired a piece of electronics than anything else, which is why I wanted to try it myself.

Chuck

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Chuck,

That looks like an old old RCA part number, you could try a SPP15P10P G made by Infineon Technologies. Digikey has them in stock for about $2.oo each.

Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Walter...thanks! I'll give them a try later today.

Chuck

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say if it's a 100% match though.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sierraic.com/pnresults.asp?navpart=RFP10P12
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the RFP10P12 cross's to Toshiba 2SJ407. The 2SJ407 then cross's to International Rectifier IRFI9630G available here:

#http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1021391-mosfet-p-ch-200v-4-3a-to220fp-irfi9630g.html
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Looking over the datasheets for those cross's they don't look like a good match. Here is a cross for the original and it even carries more amperage:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=*rfp10p12*&N=1323038&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Ns=P_SField&OriginalKeyword=rfp10p12&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mac. I appreciate the help...I'd have no idea how to cross-reference something like that. It's also nice to find an actual retailer...whenever I found someone with stock, they had a minimum order quantity that was going to make this little project a non-starter.

I've placed the order with Mouser so we will see what happens.

Thanks again...

Chuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: