Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Got a new sofa.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Got a new sofa. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Nothing special, just sharing. Wink I did some work for the big boss of all the Ashley Furniture stores in this part of the state, and he hooked me up with employee pricing. They had some home theater-style chairs, in the usual design, but they didn't seem to be put together very impressively. This thing here is damn solid.

It's 84"W x 42"D x 41"H. The left and right seats are recliners, but not the center. I had originally ruled out that design, wanting all three to recline, but the size is just right and the price was hard to beat. The back is low enough that an ottoman will make the center seat recliney enough, and high enough that the real recliners still let you lay back when extended.

Seating areas and arms are leather, back and sides are vinyl. I went and looked at it and it is nice, and sat in it and it is comfy.

All in all it was a pretty good buy, I think, based on a lot of shopping over the past few months. All this crap seems way, way overpriced. At least I feel like I got what I paid for here.

Oh, almost I forgot the best part, and what really put me over the edge on the decision: There are two steel rails underneath that can be unbolted to let it separate into 3 pieces for moving! For an apartment-dweller like me, that is freaking terrific. We had to give away a totally excellent (and expensive) sofa when we moved in here, because it wouldn't fit up the stairs.

lyd
wendortb

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find. I use a layzboy couch myself that reclines on both ends. It works well for snuggling up to my sweetie. Compared to the individual home theater style seating anyway. I also like the fact you get more seats in less width.

I personally wouldn't like the leather. Too cold when first sit down. Leather is rather attractive though.

That is really cool that it separates into pieces. The backs come off mine but that is all. The only thing I wish that was different about my couch was I want the center to fold down so I have a place for drinks & such when it is just 2 people.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I was happy with my $69 Salvation Army couch... some awful print but I lucked out and it came with a really nice dark brown suede slipcover. Ain't perfect but for $69 you can't beat it! Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some very nice, well-built Ashley stuff, but I agree that their theater seats definitely did not fall into that category.

Looks like you made it out well on this Smile
rod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couch looks slick.

Just some other options for those selecting seating as I've been at it for quite some time:

I just bought two La-z-boy couches (Roland series) with same dimensions. A few points I considered:
1. If you get good leather you don't stick and it does not give that cold feeling (maybe just for a second)
2. This series also comes apart for shippirng and moving into tighter spaces
3. It reclines almost completely flat
4. I got this model because the whole thing can recline (unlike the centre piece on a three seater)
5. Theatre seats where too restrictive in terms of seating capacity and I would never be able to lie down when doing marathon Die Hard or Godfather events.

roland.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.01 KB
 Viewed:  4431 Time(s)

roland.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: