Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive causes reset w/ HD-DV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotchfx

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive causes reset w/ HD-DV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently purchased an LG GGC-H20L Bluray/HD-DVD combo drive from Newegg.com and installed the Cyberlink software bundle (and upgraded to a full install of PowerDVD 7.3 as well). I have been able to play Blu-ray DVDs however when I attempt to load an HD-DVD I get an immediate blue/screen reset (running WinXP SP2 obviously).

I am running an HTPC built on a Tyan Thunder K8WE-S2895 (dual Opteron) motherboard:

http://tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=151

and an EVGA 8800GTS 512MB PCIe card.

The GGC-H20L is connected to via my K8WE motherboards integrated SATA port... looking at a couple other threads on this forum, is there a potential conflict between my NVIDIA nForce Professional 2200 (CK8-04) chipset and this SATA combo drive?

I am currently using a Sony KDL-40XBR4 as a "monitor" via HDMI... there is a quirk w/ this LCD-TV where I need to connect both the PC and HDMI inputs (and configure the 8800GTS for dual+cloned monitors) however I don't think this is significant.

I have updated the firmware for the GGC-H20L (v1.02) and will be verifying the SATA drivers for the motherboard as well (they were up to date as of a couple months ago).

Has anyone else experienced this problem & if so, is there any known software workaround for this as I've limited space left on the board for adding additional PCI SATA converter cards and such...?

HELP!

Sony KDL40XBR4 LCD-TV
LG GGC-H20L Bluray/HD-DVD SATA optical drive
Hauppauge PVR-500 PCI
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB PCIe

Mitsumi FA404M FDD/Multi-card reader
Logitech Dinovo Edge Bluetooth Keyboard

Windows XP Pro SP2 (all updates)
Snapstream BeyondTV v4.6
Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive causes reset w/ H Reply with quote

scotchfx wrote:

[/b]
I am currently using a Sony KDL-40XBR4 as a "monitor" via HDMI... there is a quirk w/ this LCD-TV where I need to connect both the PC and HDMI inputs (and configure the 8800GTS for dual+cloned monitors) however I don't think this is significant.

HELP!

This causes my PowerDVD to shut down. It's confused and can't get a clean digital link. I find powerDVD is so sensitive that it will cease playback if I unplug the ANALOG cable!

Can you get it running with just the HDMI?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive causes reset w/ H Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
scotchfx wrote:

[/b]

HELP!

This causes my PowerDVD to shut down. It's confused and can't get a clean digital link. I find powerDVD is so sensitive that it will cease playback if I unplug the ANALOG cable!

It may not be PDVD, it could be HDCP hardware/software always looking at what is connected. If it sees analog ur ok when it senses the display has changed it shuts down output. The reason it might do this it’s to prevent someone from connecting a HDCP compliant display with proper handshake then connecting it to a non-compliant device to capture the data stream.

Just a thought.

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive causes reset w/ H Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
scotchfx wrote:

[/b]

HELP!

It may not be PDVD, it could be HDCP hardware/software always looking at what is connected. If it sees analog ur ok when it senses the display has changed it shuts down output. The reason it might do this it’s to prevent someone from connecting a HDCP compliant display with proper handshake then connecting it to a non-compliant device to capture the data stream.

Just a thought.

Mike

Yeah that's probably the cause. It did it with both my Geforce 8600 and my ATi 3850 cards. DRM is watching you (Demented Retarded Mother's )

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an RMA on my LG combo drive from NewEgg. I bought a 2nd standalone Blu-ray player through Costco and will gladly accept their lifetime return on it. No problems with the current firmware, but that LG combo drive just is not a polished product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: