Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: TC1500 RGB to Component Converter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: FAQ: TC1500 RGB to Component Converter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Note: This item is not sold or supported by CurtPalme.com! When purchasing you will be paying and dealing directly with the third party seller/manufacturer.

DISCLAIMER: Any dealings with the third party seller/manufacturer listed here, including the delivery of and the payment for goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings or promotions, are solely between you and the third party seller/manufacturer. Curtpalme.com shall not be responsible or liable for any part of any such dealings or promotions.

CURTPALME.COM IS NOT THE SELLER OR MANUFACTURER OF THESE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER MAY HAVE PROVIDED A WARRANTY ON THE GOOD(S) PURCHASED. CURTPALME.COM HAS NOT MADE, AND DOES NOT MAKE, ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, PROMISE OR COVENANT, EXPRESS OF IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONDITION, QUALITY, DURABILITY, CAPABILITY, FUNCTION, PERFORMANCE, OR SUITABILITY OF THE EQUIPMENT, ITS MERCHANTABILITY OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. BUYER AGREES THAT CURTPALME.COM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR EITHER SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OR ANY LIABILITY, LOSS, TAMPERING, ABUSE, DAMAGE, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL AND INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF BUYER'S PURCHASE OF THE EQUIPMENT, ANY DEFECTS IN THE EQUIPMENT, OR FAILURE OF SELLER/MANUFACTURER TO TIMELY DELIVER THE EQUIPMENT.

TC1500 RGB to Component Converter

Click HERE to order today directly from the manufacturer!

To be notified immediately of any news on this product, click HERE (you must be registered and logged in).

Add a VGA (RGBHV) input to any projector, TV, or monitor that only accepts a component (YPbPr) signal!

The TC1500 converts an RGB (VGA) signal found on devices such as PCs to a component (YPbPr) signal required by most TVs. Designed by a home theater enthusiast, it is regarded by many enthusiasts as the best RGB to component transcoder available (regardless of price). The fact that it's one of the least expensive ones available is an added bonus!

The TC1500 transcoder was developed to be flexible and to provide impeccable visual quality. It is one of the few transcoders that has a separate color conversion for different resolutions in order to provide optimum color fidelity. Although the required conversions are nearly identical, the difference cannot be ignored when optimum quality is pursued.

The TC1500 also has a cable driver stage which allows you to use an analog cable of any length. Perfect for those of you that already have a long RGBHV cable going to your TV.

If you're looking for a higher-end version of the TC1500, consider the TC1600 instead. It adds gamma boost and left shift fix features.

Specifications/Features:
  • Highly flexible VGA (RGBHV) to Component (YPbPr) transcoder.
  • High-Bandwidth component output (up to 1080p/60).
  • Small form factor.
  • Supports all video formats, resolutions and refresh rates, interlaced or progressive, including common resolutions such as 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.
  • Selectable SD and HD colour spaces.
  • Fully transparent with respect to timing and is therefore optimally suited to drive a variety of display devices.
  • Drives cables of up to 50 feet (16m).
  • High bandwidth (>130Mhz) signal processing.
  • Female VGA connector
  • Component (YPbPr) output on three colour-coded RCA connectors. Vout = 1Vp-p when driving a standard 75 Ohm cable load.
  • Includes external US power supply.
  • Ideal for connecting a Home Theater PC (HTPC) to a TV/projector that only has component inputs.

Manual

Coming soon!

FAQ

Does the TC1500 change the resolution? Upconvert or downcovert?
The TC1500 does not change the resolution or refresh rate in any way. It simply converts a VGA (RGBHV) input signal to a component signal. The TC1500 outputs whatever resolution you feed it. Absolutely nothing is changed.

Does TC1500 have problems driving longer analog output cables? Do I have to keep the output cables short?
No. There is no need to keep the cable between the TC1500 and the projector/TV short. Long cables up to 50 feet (16m) work fine. The TC1500 has an output driver stage so it has no problems driving the typically long cables found in most home theaters. As always (with or without the TC1500 box), you should always try and use high quality 75 Ohm terminated cables whenever possible - especially if the cables are long.

Are sync adjustments possible with the TC1500?
Yes, there is a width adjustment on both H and V sync. This will help some people with displays that are fussy about the sync timings.

Pictures

The two printed circuit boards that make up the TC1500:

The two boards in the stack as they will be mounted in the enclosure :

The enclosure:

Futher questions should be directed to Crescendo-Systems at: crescendo-systems@curtpalme.com

-

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 15 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
DeaJL

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:
It appears a clarification on the color space selection is in order.

In the TC2000/TCP2200 VGA(RGBHV) to component converter the color space is chosen by the polarity of the sync
In the RTC2000/2200/ISS2200 component to VGA(RGBHV) the color space is automatically selected based on the line frequency.

Kim

Hi Kim,

Think Kal's request for this re-introduction had a fair bit to do with my problem, So I'm likely to be the first in list with an order.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8205

New to this though so could you please elaborate on the result of this issue
Are you referring to a colour issue or a sync issue (screen jumping etc.)
I get a litlte of that at the moment playing my SKY HD box via it's component out which I currently have connected to my only 1080 capable component in. (which incidently I have to keep swapping out when I want to play my PS3) Evil or Very Mad

As I understand it, if I'm playing an HD res. picture then the result will be perfectly sync'd? (per your modification)
If I'm playing an SD picture then what result could I expect?

From the way you describe it, the 9A60 is a 50 / 50 compromise between the 2 so picture would not be perfect in either but what does not perfect represent?

There is obviously not a monumental amount of HD out there and even our Satellite TV over here in the UK is only pushing out about 10 channels at the moment. So if by focusing in on the HD signal it will make the SD signal unwatchable in some way or become too much of a distraction then it would be something to consider more carefully before deciding.

The idea is obviously to be watching more of the HD and have the option (with the Fury combination) to have some futureproof'ness to my setup with regard to HDCP. so whilst a lower quality SD is not the main point, it would still be an issue if it's not watchable at all or is too distracting in some way to watch.

Note, Love the idea of a having a small form factor device. For me at least, this will be in my living room and will be sitting along side (or to the back of my TV so the smaller the better! Very Happy

Regards

Dean
beun

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean,

I was just referring to a color issue. The SD and HD color conversions are very close to each other but not identical. This means that when you have a display with accurate color points you may spot the difference. On any other regular TV in 'torch' mode and with the color points way too blue you will not notice anything. I will see if I can generate too color bar jpg's with the correct and the incorrect color points, this may clarify some things.

There should never be a sync issue and as far as I know the original TC2000 does not have this problem except on some early Panasonic HDTV's which only seem to accept some weird non standard sync.

I will also see if I can squeeze both color conversions in the device, space is unfortunately not in ample supply there.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Wow Extremely helpful!

You are a Gentleman and a scholar, and on a personal note from me, sounding like one hell of a good egg Very Happy
Looking forward to doing business with you.

Regards

Deano
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the progress, I finished the PCB and ordered a few case samples. I need to make a mockup to see if it will all fits. The case I want to use is a non-stocked item and currently I can get about 200 of them. If their stock runs out the minimum order quantity is 1000 pieces which is unlikely to happen. So at this moment it looks like I can make a total run of around 200 transcoders.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm just gonna need one Very Happy

Also, could you advise prices yet or is it too early for that?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim: Given that this product will be slightly different than the previous TC2000, maybe a name change is in order? TC2000 MKII maybe? Your call.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
DeaJL

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about TC2000 B

being as it's a Second Generation

Or TC2000 SG (just thought of that due to the line above) Very Happy

Mark 2 just seems to conjour up a second attempt to me rather than an evolution of a good product in the first place.

Just a thought.

(not being an expert on the new one or the original but the comments that you guys have given in relation to the 1st one seems to have this little baby held in some considerable esteem).

Cheers

Deano
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about TC1500 since it has slightly less functionality as the old TC2000 and a smaller form factor. I am still debating by the way if I need to use tri-level sync for higher resolutions. As of yet I haven't found any TV that really needs it.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, do you have any idea at present on possible times for this item.

Am building up the products for my solution and have just orderdd the gamer fury. I can try this through the vga plug but I think I will only get 720p out of that so I'm looking forward to the Component final output.

Also, will there be any price difference between this item and the existing RGB version.

I understand that I can't speed things up anymore than your schedule will allow, but I'm really looking forward to this so any info would be nice.

Regards

Deano
longshot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the unit do Horizontal Adjustment?
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick update and some answers:

I received a few case samples and I think it should all fit, I will order a few boards somewhere next week. The price will probably be a little cheaper than the original TC2000, my guess it probably $125. There weill be no horizontal adjustment, I have no room left for another potmeter.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kim,

Can't wait.

Dean
paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:

I received a few case samples and I think it should all fit, I will order a few boards somewhere next week. The price will probably be a little cheaper than the original TC2000, my guess it probably $125. There weill be no horizontal adjustment, I have no room left for another potmeter.
I wonder if this will be an issue with using the HDFury with the TC2000? The HDFury is known to shift the image horizontally. To the left I believe.
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the image shift is to the left there is not much I can do about that anyway. That would require a shift in negative time on the H-sync and I cannot create that in the analog domain. The only thing possible it to shift the H-sync a whole line and none of the transcoder I know of (including mine) are set up to do that. Technically it not too difficult but it requires more electronics that I think I have room for at the moment. I will look into that.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the cases and the PCB samples should go out real soon. I just have to do a final check to make sure that I haven't forgotton anything.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Kim,

Still watching this space Very Happy

Dean
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep watching, I just ordered 8 test boards.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
beun wrote:

I wonder if this will be an issue with using the HDFury with the TC2000? The HDFury is known to shift the image horizontally. To the left I believe.

Strictly speaking, it isn't the Fury causing the shift. It's actually due to slight differences in sync timing between the digital signals from the source component and the analog signals that the display is set up for. The Fury passes through sync info unaltered, but since people with analog-only displays can't see the phenomenon until they use one (or other such devices), the image shift is blamed on it.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the boards for the new transcoder, I still have to order a few parts but will already start assembling one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: