Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cable: Monoprice vs. BlueJeans

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NateTTU

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Cable: Monoprice vs. BlueJeans Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For those of you with a full ht I imagine there was a time where you had to pick out the speaker wiring. I know it is important to get good cabling but it is also important to me not to spend too much. I'm currently building some diy speakers and am in need of some great but inexpensive speaker wire. I have heard both monoprice and bluejeans names as some of the best deals and products in the business and from the prices I can see why. However, I'm looking at getting some 12 gauge wire from the amp to the speakers and some RCA analog audio cables to hook up my pre/pro and amp together. I hear both are suppose to be good but right now the prices of the selected items are drastically different.

BlueJeans:
12 Gauge (100 ft): $57
Surround Audio Cables for 5.1 (6 ft): $110

Monoprice:
12 Gauge (100 ft): $25
RCA Audio Cables packaged in as a pair (6 ft): $3.25 x 3 = $9.75

So as you can easily see the prices are sometimes ridiculously dramatic. So if anyone can tell me BlueJeans is as much as 10x better I would appreciate it.

Nate
[/url]
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using cable I bought at Home Depot. While the original 12AWG cable did turn green inside the sleeve, the 14AWG stuff I got has not had any problem. I cannot remember exactly, but I bought 250' rolls of the stuff for about $45-50. Copper has since gone up dramatically.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for Bluejeans, but I have never had any issues with the many things I've bought from Monoprice.

On the speaker wire, 12 Gauge is 12 Gauge. On the audio cables you could be getting better quality connectors, but even if they were I can't see the Bluejeans being 10x better than Monoprice. I highly doubt you could notice a difference.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about running solid core (electrical ) cable through the walls. This is copper of good quality, but solid cores are typically not used in speakers because they are not flexible--but how often do you need to flex them?

BTW, I've bought cables from Monoprice a couple of times and have no complaints--but this could be blissful ignorance. Smile

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Home Depot CL2 (in-wall) rated 12 gauge stuff as well. I have over 500' of it installed in my walls for the 5 channels of HT (50 foot runs, bi-wired).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that any cable will work fine if it is the right gauge. Right now I'm using 12 gauge extension cords to wire in my surround channels.

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that any cable will work fine if it is the right gauge. Right now I'm using 12 gauge extension cords to wire in my surround channels.

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejavu.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
9kids

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Home Depot stuff too. 12 gauge, rated for in-wall use, 500' spool was about $205. I just got a new 7.1 system so I had a lot of wire to run. I read up on using 12 gauge extension cords, they work very well, but they cost more per foot than the spool of 12 gauge speaker wire. If you don't need but about 100 feet then I think there are some 100 foot 12 gauge extension cords that might work well. Google Home Depot extension cord speaker wire. Some audio Magazine did a speaker wire shoot out and through in some Home Depot extension cord as a goof and it ended up winning, I think, or it rated very high.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable: Monoprice vs. BlueJeans Reply with quote

NateTTU wrote:
BlueJeans:
12 Gauge (100 ft): $57
Surround Audio Cables for 5.1 (6 ft): $110

Monoprice:
12 Gauge (100 ft): $25
RCA Audio Cables packaged in as a pair (6 ft): $3.25 x 3 = $9.75

So as you can easily see the prices are sometimes ridiculously dramatic. So if anyone can tell me BlueJeans is as much as 10x better I would appreciate it.

Ten times better? Probably not. Better? Definitely. Monoprice cables have their place - I have some in my system. 5.1 line-level cables are probably a good place to save some money, in fact. But, don't think the cheap cables are just as good in every way. The cheap Monoprice cables are definitely decent - especially for the money - but, they're also cheap, made-in-China or Taiwan, bottom-of-the-barrel cables. The 'crown' on the RCA connectors are flimsy, and they certainly won't hold up over time the way some other better cables would. Still, they're very cheap and they work well. Like I said, they have their place.

For RCA's - especially component - check out these really nice Belkin PureAV cables at Sams Club:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=364822

They're very reasonable (under $10 each!!!), and they also have HDMI, DVI, optical, etc. too. They're MUCH nicer than the cheap monoprice RCA cables with cast connectors instead of stamped metal. Very secure connections. I bought a bunch of them and really like them.

I can snap a couple of pics so you can see the difference between the Monoprice and the difference between even the cheap Monoprice cables (I have both in different rooms).

As for 12 ga. speaker wire, you weren't quite comparing apples to apples. The BJC 12-ga CL2 (in-wall rated) speaker wire is made-in-the-US Belden 5000UE. Pro installers (like Curt) use this stuff all the time. It's good stuff. I wired my HT with it. $57 for 100 feet as you mentioned. Monoprice CL2-rated would be the cheap made-in-china version. Does it really matter for speaker wire? Probably not. But, for the $28 vs $57 price difference, I went with the BJC Belden wire because I thought it was worth the money to have an excellent-quality made-in-US speaker wire with a good reputation.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I got some monoprice component cables and I thought they were of excellent quality when comparing them to a monster cable I have. I have never seen blue jeans cable though.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Monoprice has two different RCA-type cables - basic and premium. I got some longer cables for a living room system and they were pretty lame (although very decent considering how stupid cheap they were). They also have their 'premium' cables that are probably more along the lines of the PureAV cables I mentioned.

Monster stuff... Most of it is all show and no go. Nice packaging, nice looking, but cut it open and it's no better than the cheapest junk you can find.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: