Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

So, they're banning incandescent bulbs in the US...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: So, they're banning incandescent bulbs in the US... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
...except for oven lights (because god knows we'd be lost without our oven lights) car headlights, and public stop lights, which are being replaced with LEDs anyway but apparently the gov't can't meet their own deadline.

Now, I know that digital bulbs are usually arc lights of some type, not filament, but they're still incandescing rather than flourescing, if you get my drift. It's heat that's making the light.

So, either they've got an exception in there for projectors... and for stage lighting, home accent lighting, christmas lights, people who get incandescent with rage, etc etc - which weren't mentioned, or the world is going to be in for some interesting changes.

Personally, I find it repugnant that my government feels it's necessary to tell me what kind of technology I'm allowed to use. Retroactive ban on CRT projectors due to their inefficiency anyone?

Ergh.

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're sh*ting me. Please tell me you're kidding. There wasn't something in this new energy bill about tungsten lighting, was there? I hadn't heard about that - only the CAFE standards made the news.

If this is true, I guess I'll be buying several cases of all the bulbs I like to use in my home to last me for the foreseeable future. I HATE fluorescent lighting - with a passion. The only lights in my house that are fluorescent are my under-counter lighting in the kitchen - and I was planning on replacing those with halogens.

Please tell me this isn't true.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and halogens are so very very efficient putting all the energy to light and nothing to heat.

NOT.

i'm not advocating incandescents or energy waste, but banning incandescents without addressing halogens. without addressing the existing install base and while still selling incandescents fixtures is stupid.

i bought a "luxo lamp" for my HT room because i like pixar. a week after i bought it i realized that it won't have a bulb in another year or two. bloody annoying.

the correct thing would be to ban production/sale of fixtures first and then tail off the bulb supply. people will hoard bulbs and extend the energy waste cycle before they hoard fixtures...
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about without addressing the mercury in fluorescents?

I've already got non-incandescent everywhere I can (like don't need to be able to dim or places I need immediate light), but having this mandated is a joke.

If you are going to do it, at least wait until LED lights are available to the masses at decent prices.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my incandescents in the shop... they help heat me in winter..Wink
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK it's true; Bush signed it (!) so it's not just a proposal. However, I only know media reports which tend to be wrong in at least one significant way (I know this because I've had a few newspaper and magazine articles written about me and my business, and each has screwed up at least one major thing. The worst was the one that said my aunt was my mom...).

So it could be, tungsten filament bulbs of N wattage, thus meaning everybody can run 500 watt tungsten bulbs with neutral density filters to get around it... Wink

Banning halogens would be ass. I happen to like halogen light, and what about xenon? I'm putting ten xenon spots around the flashing in my HT for dimable accent lighting; am I supposed to throw out $150 worth of fixtures in two years of xenon is part of this ban?

There are certain kinds of flourescent bulbs I really like... I'm running a massive wattage of 'full spectrum' (really really high color temperature) bulbs aimed at the wall behind my monitors in my office; keeps me sane (literally; I have severe bipolar disorder and light really helps). But I rather like the warmth (light-wise) that incandescents give me in my house. So, I'm supposed to let myself be told by big daddy government that I need to change my bulbs?

What happens when big daddy government tells me that motion simulators are a waste of energy and bans them, too? I'm supposed to pack up my career and go home? How about race cars, fine art painting (wastes lots of energy making tubes, paint, canvas, etc)? What about big screen TVs? Exactly how much of our freedom are we going to give up first in the name of terrorism and then in the name of 'ecology'?

And when we're done, when we've thrown out our privacy and free speech to get rid of terrorists, and thrown out our entertainment and art in the name of environmentalism, and our fatty foods in the name of national health - when we and the planet are secure - exactly what will we have gained as we sit quietly at home on our hemp woven papasan chairs telling our kids stories about how we used to be able to watch things called movies at home on a big, bright screen, and we could have sound so you could FEEL the rumble, and how they used to light up trees and houses every winter to add some cheer to the cold weather... and they go, WOW, DAD! But how'd it get like this?

How indeed. And all this from a left-winger.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you seeing this? I can't find any reference to the banning of light bulbs in any of the stories on the energy bill I could find. Of course, it could be buried somewhere in the 1,724 PAGE bill. Gee, I wonder why government is so inefficient?

Looking here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/energy/

The only thing that jumped out at me was this:
Quote:
The bill includes provisions to improve energy efficiency in lighting and appliances, as well as requirements for Federal agency efficiency and renewable energy use that will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. For example:

• The bill will require all general purpose lighting in Federal buildings to use Energy Star® products or products designated under the Energy Department's Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) by the end of Fiscal Year 2013.

It includes provisions... The way I read it, is it probably includes tax incentives and subsidies for companies increasing the efficiency of their products.

So, going forward, incandescent fixtures could be phased out as prices rise (and predictably demand falls). Then, in the bullet, it's clear that in all federal buildings, high-efficiency lighting, appliance, equipment, etc. would be used wherever possible.

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not banned. But i think it is hilarious this is in the digital projector forum.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. Of course, we CRT guys can't talk. My 1271 max power consumption is on the order of 675 watts. Most consumer digitals are probably half that. I'm sure my rack full of equipment is probably pulling close to what the projector is, so I'm probably in the 1300w neighborhood when I'm watching movies or playing games. Good thing I'm only able to use my theater 4-6 hours per week on average, or my carbon footprint would get out of hand. Rolling Eyes

SC
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I got it. No mention of it being only in Federal offices, but as I said, the press and wrongness usually go hand in hand...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/20/us_energy_bill/

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario Canada banned the sale of incandesent bulbs after a certain date that escapes me. I have aboot 300 of them in storage. F*$%^ing C$#**#$!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article, for everyone else's benefit... er, amazement:
Quote:
US prez George W. Bush yesterday signed a "landmark" energy bill which will see the nation's incandescent lightbulbs phased out in favour of low-consumption alternatives.

The bill requires lighting to use "up to 30 per cent less energy", Reuters explains, effectively outlawing the 125-year-old Edison invention. The bill takes effect for the 100-watt bulb in 2012, followed by the 75-watt bulb in 2013 and 40 and 60-watt varieties in 2014.

Once the US's estimated 4bn light sockets are fitted with energy-efficient alternatives, household utility bills will be slashed by more than $18bn a year, while the atmosphere will be spared 100m tons of power plant carbon dioxide emissions.
Although the intial outlay for planet-hugging illumination is greater, the pay-back to the consumer is greatly extended life and said savings on their elecricity bills.

Around two dozen categories of lightbulbs are exempt from the new law. These include "oven and refrigerator bulbs, candelabra lamps, plant lights, replacement traffic signal bulbs". ®

So, there it is - If you believe the The Register (I know) and the Reuters quote, this is happening. All I can say, is if LED's don't get a lot better and cheaper...

A) They can take my incandescent bulbs when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers or...

B) When they outlaw incandescent bulbs, only outlaws will have incandescent bulbs.

I simply HATE the spectral output on even the new CFL's. Color rendering sucks ass. I forgot - they spew UV, too. So, unless you put them behind UV filters, they'll do the same things to dyes, wood, paper and plastics that the sun does - ruin it over time. I know I can't wait for that!

Time to start shelving some bulbs, it seems.

SC
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be awesome if the language specifically stated "100 watts" "75 watts" etc... I'd start ramping up production for 101, 76, and 61, and 41 watt bulbs...

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketfoot wrote:
How about without addressing the mercury in fluorescents?

CFLs do indeed contain mercury. However the mercury they contain is much less than the mercury released into the environment by the coal burned to generate the additional electricity required by an equivalent incandescent. See e.g. the chart here. You can do even better if you recycle the CFLs properly instead of landfilling them and releasing their mercury into the environment.

ecrabb wrote:
I simply HATE the spectral output on even the new CFL's. Color rendering sucks ass.
Agreed!

Quote:
I forgot - they spew UV, too. So, unless you put them behind UV filters, they'll do the same things to dyes, wood, paper and plastics that the sun does - ruin it over time. I know I can't wait for that!

It's not as bad as they've claimed. Apparently the false rumor got started by a faulty measuring device in the UK that included some of the visible spectrum in its UV measurements. According to http://www.iaeel.org/iaeel/NEWSL/1993/tre1993/HumFa_b_3_93.html and others, CFLs put out between 50-140 µwatts per lumen, compared to as much as 100 µwatts/lumen for incandescents. Other sources say an 8-hour day under CFLs is roughly equivalent to 1 minute of sunlight.

In addition, UV gets absorbed easily -- it doesn't "bounce" very well. So unless you shine an unfiltered CFL directly onto fade-sensitive materials, you're very unlikely to get fading from indirect CFL light.

Gary
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the CFLs are much better than typical office-style fluorescent tubes, then.

In offices, it's typical for plastic office equipment (computers) to get completely destroyed by fluorescent light. Old Apple computers that are supposed to be grey turn a nasty shade of yellow after a few years in an office under fluorescent tubes.

Even in your example above where 8 hours under CFL is equivalent to 1 minute of sunlight. That means, that in a typical 8-hr/day, 5 day/week operation like an office, a photographic or art print is going to see the equivalent of 3+ hours of sunlight per year. That's not a good thing.

Hmm... a standard tungsten light bulb gives off as much or more UV than a CFL? That's hard to believe, actually. I think I'll have to see some lab numbers on that, because it doesn't really make any sense to me.

SC
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
CFLs do indeed contain mercury. However the mercury they contain is much less than the mercury released into the environment by the coal burned to generate the additional electricity required by an equivalent incandescent. See e.g. the chart here. You can do even better if you recycle the CFLs properly instead of landfilling them and releasing their mercury into the environment.

I don't disagree on that part, but the coal burning mercury does not come in direct contact with me or my children like it can from a broken CFL.

Not a huge risk, and it does not keep me from using them, but it is certainly a real concern.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Hmm... a standard tungsten light bulb gives off as much or more UV than a CFL? That's hard to believe, actually. I think I'll have to see some lab numbers on that, because it doesn't really make any sense to me.

http://library.syr.edu/information/spcollections/conservation/UVlevels.pdf says 60-80 µW/lumen. Other sources agree with that. Depending on the CFL, that's in the same range or maybe a bit less than the CFL.

Bucketfoot wrote:
I don't disagree on that part, but the coal burning mercury does not come in direct contact with me or my children like it can from a broken CFL.
No, but it gets into everything everywhere. Mercury in fish (much of it probably from coal) is the biggest mercury threat to humans now. And CFLs are probably no worse in that respect than standard old tubular fluorescents.

Hell, I used to play with drops of mercury on my palm in high school, and my mom put mercurochrome on every cut. Hasn't killed me yet. (twitch, twitch Smile)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me wonder like steve was saying about outlaws...

Maybe I should start hoarding all of the incandescents that I can find, and start selling them once they are outlawed for $5 a pop. I would be a very rich person.

I have also thought about selling sudafed to crank heads but my darn morals got in the way.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, you are talking about 5-10 years down the road. How much of that $5 will go into storage costs? Smile And somehow I think there will be plenty of amendments between now and ten years from now on specialty lamps like those in projectors.

BTW, how long between indoor lighting become generally the norm and the time the government instituted florescent lighting in the kitchens as the main means of illumination? And that is only on builders and new home sellers, not resales. I'd imagine aftermarket supplies would remain for a while. Certainly not going to worry about a digital projector lamp not being available ten years down the line--how many bad pixels would be visible in that amount of time?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Greg, you are talking about 5-10 years down the road. How much of that $5 will go into storage costs? Smile

I have an extra room in my house...I bet I could fit 10,000 lightbulbs in there...that is $50,000!

Of course this will get overturned or amended between now and then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: