Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Suggestions for HTPC > Marquee 8500 -- HDMI 1.3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Suggestions for HTPC > Marquee 8500 -- HDMI 1.3? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm in a bit of a panic with the Moome VIM-HD almost gone and my not yet having figured out what I should be doing to get video from the PC to the projector.

For the short term I have a 6' vga - 5 bnc breakout I took off of one of my computer monitors and some RG6-quad with F to BNC adapters, probably around 20'.

I had been figuring that I would want to do digital out of the PC, or at least I had been convinced of that, but with the Moome being about 400 bucks, and the HD Fury + RTC220 being about 400 bucks, I haven't been able to determine the pros and cons of either approach.

Can anyone refer me to a post or other document that might lay things out a bit more clearly? I've searched a lot this week and not come up with much, comparison-wise.

Clearly, the external, 2-box solution seems more flexible, and allows more options, but all I really ever see the need to do is get video out of the PC. I am planning to get one of the combo bluray/hd-dvd drives for it, and I do not do cable, satellite or broadcast.

I do, however, have a minimum 30' - 35' run for the video with the PC in its final position, and I am not sure where that leaves me if I go with the moome. Could I reasonably expect my nivida evga 7900 gto to drive a digital cable that long? For that matter, can I expect it to drive the analog cables that long?

Seems like I might need more juice, which the fury and/or rtc2200 will provde, for the digital and analog, respectively.

I just can't figure out which way to jump, here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

lyd

Last edited by lyd on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after writing the above, minutes after in fact, I found this thread, in which Kal and others confirm that ~35' HDMI to the moome is probably no trouble.

That makes me lean toward going that route, with the only remaining reservation being HDMI 1.3. Does anyone think there will be a new version of the VIM-HD supporting it? Will it matter?

As always, all help is appreciated.

lyd
oliverg

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.3 isn't an issue at this stage .. whilst futureproofing is always adviseable, there aren't any sources/content that utilise 1.3 currently

If your budget will stretch to it, just buy cable that can handle 1.3 when its use becomes widespread.

I would definately stay digital though - HDCP compliance is something good to have. When ICTs becomes a reality you wont have to redo your whole setup

Cheers

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, okay, the pressure got to me Wink. I just ordered a VIM-HD, for better or worse. No doubt I will regret it if I wind up with anything other than a Marquee before technology has marched sufficiently on, but I really don't foresee that happening, and it seems like just the thing.

So I just need to figure out the best cabling option. The good news is that I was counting one dimension of the run twice, so I only need ~25'. But just looking at BlueJeans (whose articles on HDMI have very nearly convinced me back to the opinion that this was a mistake and I should have just stuck with analog *sigh*) options alone, I see DVI to HDMI terminated cables in that length ranging from $30 to $80.

What caliber of cable will I likely need for trouble-free performance? I have no problem spending the $80 if that's what it takes, but certainly don't want to do so needlessly, and that bonded pair cable looks really difficult to work with. This cable will be run on the surface of the wall (although likely at least partially concealed with acoustic treatments at a later date), up the wall, across the ceiling, and down to the projector. I don't know what the minimum-radius bend you can make in that stuff is, but it doesn't sound like it will be at all small. Wink

lyd
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
When ICTs becomes a reality you wont have to redo your whole setup

Oh, just for the record, any re-doing of my setup that I might engage in at that point would be centered on circumvention, not compliance. If I happen to have stuff that is compliant in a way that doesn't irritate me, then great, but if I have to expend any extra energy or dollars to make things work, it certainty won't be spent on playing along with that nonsense.

lyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: