Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

IFB-FULLHD v3: Sony HDMI 1.4 Input Card
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: IFB-FULLHD v3: Sony HDMI 1.4 Input Card Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sony IFB-FULLHD v3 HDMI 1.4 input card with Gamma, IR remote, and 3D support

Click [HERE] to order directly from the manufacturer!

Priority worldwide shipping included! Payment options: Credit Card or PayPal (PayPal account *NOT* needed to pay by credit card!)

To be notified immediately of any news on this product, click HERE (you must be registered and logged in).

Upgrade your Sony CRT projector by adding two HDMI 1.4 inputs with 3D support, gamma correction and infrared remote control!

Don't be stuck watching PS3, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and DVD at only 480p! Add digital HDCP-compliant HDMI 1.4 inputs allowing you to watch hi-def content at up to 1080p resolution!

Widescreen Review Magazine uses Moome HDMI cards in their reference theaters featuring Sony G90 and Runco 1200 CRT projectors. "We love our 9-inch CRT projectors, even though we have our pick of the leading edge D-ILA, SXRD, and DLP projectors." - Gary Reber, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher, Widescreen Review

The IFB-FULLHD card allows you easily add digital devices such as Blu-Ray players, PS3, Xbox360, Satellite/Cable HDTV set-top boxes, and HTPCs with HDMI graphic cards (to name a few) to your Sony CRT projector. Simply plug the card into your projector, your DVI/HDMI devices into the card, and watch!

How does the 3D work?

When used together with a Radiance video processor, the IFB-FULLHD v3 HDMI card allows 3D movies, games, and other content to be viewed on your Sony CRT projector. The Radiance does the processing to convert the 3D signal into something your Sony CRT projector can understand and display, while the IFB-FULLHD v3 HDMI card interfaces with and controls your 3D glasses. Enjoy 3D at 720p120Hz or even at custom resolutions like 1080p75Hz.

Any Infrared (IR) Active Shutter glasses or Radio Frequency (RF) Active Shutter glasses that include an emitter will work with the IFB-FULLHD v3 card as long as the emitter has the standard 3-pin DIN connector.

Overview

This product is a culmination of everything Moome has learnt over years of building DVI/HDMI input cards for CRT projectors. It is by far the highest end Sony card he has yet to offer with new features such as: Two 100% HDMI 1.4 compliant inputs for Radiance 3D support (3D glasses & emitter sold separately), Deep Colour support, better discrete 14bit D/A converters, faster 1GHz output buffer, and better op-amps for the best image quality possible!

Supply is limited and tends to sell out fast as this high-end product for the discriminating videophile is only built in small batches. This is the last HDMI input card you will ever buy for your Sony CRT projector!

Works with any Sony CRT projector, TV, or other product with an IFB slot such as:
  • Sony VPH-1251, 1252, 1270, 1271, 1272, 1292 CRT projectors
  • Sony VPH-D50 (with IFB slot), VPH-G70, VPH-G90 CRT projectors
  • Sony PC-1270, 1271(M), 3000 switchers
  • Sony RVP-6010Q Rear projection TV
How can I tell if my Sony D50 has an IFB slot?

The easiest way to tell is to simply look at the rear of your Sony D50 as follows:

In this picture the IFB slot is used by the (useless) remote card which is removed via the two turn screws to allow the installation of the IFB-FULLHD card. Other D50 projectors may have a blank faceplate instead that can be removed in the same manner.

Typically the UK version of the Sony D50HT does not have an IFB slot while other versions of the D50HT and all versions of the D50Q and D50GM do have IFB slots. It's always best to check your model to make sure you have a slot. If a card is already installed in the slot but you have nothing connected to it, it may be safely removed allowing the installation of the IFB-FULLHD card.

Manual

The IFB-FULLHD v3 user manual/data sheet can be found here. (PDF format)

Features/Specifications

For complete details see our order page

FAQ

How easy it is to install and setup?
Installation and setup takes 5 minutes: You simply slide the card into an available slot at the back of your Sony CRT projector and connect your sources devices with HDMI cables. That's it!

What's adjustable gamma correction? What does it do? Why would I need it?
Many displays (and pretty much all CRT projectors) require a gamma boost to show perfect shadow details. Without this adjustment, dark details in the picture will be lost. To adjust gamma see the manual (below). For a complete explanation of Gamma Correction, please see this thread.

Can you set different gamma correction for the two HDMI inputs?
No. there is one gamma adjustment setting. It is used for both inputs.

How do I adjust gamma on this card?
See the manual (below). The Gamma Tuning Guide for Moome products may also prove useful.

Can I add an HDMI switcher or receiver before the IFB-FULLHD?
Yes! If you have more than two HDMI sources you may add an HDMI switcher (see this thread for recommendations) or an HDMI switching receiver before the IFB-FULLHD.

What's the contrast adjustment for?
The contrast adjustment pot allows you to vary the video signal output voltage from 0.7V all the way up to 1.0V. The control is a multi-turn pot with 30 turns. Turn it counter-clockwise 30 times to set the contrast level to 0.7V which is the normal output level used by most devices (you will know once you've reached the end as the control will make a little click at each turn). This is the normal setting that most people should use. This is an advanced feature. On some setups a hotter (ie: higher voltage) signal may have benefits so this control lets you taylor the output voltage to suite your needs. On most displays turning up the voltage is almsot the same as simply turning up the contrast slightly. This added control lets advanced users fine tune the output if needed.

Pictures

The IFB-FULLHD v3 card installed in a Sony G90 CRT projector:

New high bandwidth video opamp:

New14 bit video DACs (x3):

Reviews/Testimonials

See the IFB-FULLHD order page for reviews/testimonials.

Questions should be directed to Moome at: MoomeCard@CurtPalme.com

Click [HERE] to order directly from the manufacturer!

NOTE: MANY OF THE POSTS BELOW (ESPECIALLY THE OLDER ONES) ARE RELATED TO OLDER VERSIONS OF THE SONY IFB-FULLHD HDMI CARD AND MAY NO LONGER BE RELEVANT.

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:33 pm; edited 28 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this fit the Sony PC-1270 and PC-1271 switchers? Wished I had known this was coming when I ordered my EXT-HD, I would have waited. Is there an anticipated price?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll fit anywhere the IFB-HD fit, that is, any IFB slot. So yes, the switchers will work too. The interface is the same, it's just the internals that are different between the IFB-HD and the new IFB-FULLHD.

Anticipated price: Slightly more (just slightly) than the IFB-HD given the added complexity. Firm price coming soon from Moome. Moome tells me there's 2x-3x as many parts and integrated circuits. HDMI 1.3 is incredibly complex.

Kal

Frank D

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if he can make this card with a "snap" in EDID chip so it can be upgraded easily if need be?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank D wrote:
Wondering if he can make this card with a "snap" in EDID chip so it can be upgraded easily if need be?

Good idea Exclamation

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
moome

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank D wrote:

ya! i will make a adaptor to let you access edid!
ilias

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Sony IFB-FULLHD HDCP compliant?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilias wrote:
Is this Sony IFB-FULLHD HDCP compliant?

Yes

c_rex

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea when a new batch of the Full HD cards will go to pre-order? thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, no idea. As soon as any information is known it is posted in this thread. If people want to know more about this (or any other product), use the "Watch this topic for replies" option and you'll get the news immediately. You have to be registered to the forum but it's free.

Kal

c_rex

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on- thx Kal. Thx for the info and happy new year.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more pressing issues right now. Thumbs Up Mr. Green Wink

I am actually considering this for my stack. HDMI right to the projectors. Hmmmmmmm......

Cliff
awymncwl

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Anxiously want to know when ordering online will start.

Cheers
Anthony
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! Smile This'll be Moome's first HDMI 1.3 card with really high end DAC/op-amps.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually the dacs(HDMI chip) I don't think have changed, but the opamps are a step up in performance from the older versions.

Last edited by WTS on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure Walter? Moome told me that he's using a 12 bit DAC now. The others are 10bit. This is what's in the IFB-FULLHD manual as well.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, okay I didn't think that part of the chip actually changed but maybe it has, I haven't seen anything in the way of a datasheet for the new 1.3 chip. That is a good thing for sure. The opamps are upgraded but at this time it is unsure as to which one will actually be used in the final product as they are still in the testing phase. Rest assured they will be better than the previous version opamps.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moome will not disclose what opamps he ends up using anyway. He scratches off the codes before selling them. He does say that they will be better than what he uses in his products today though.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right and there are only 2 people who know what the ICs are on the boards. Moome and myself. Actually I'm the one doing the testing.

Removing the numbers is often done by lots of companies to protect their R&D invested time. MP also removes the numbers from his products as well.

mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Removing the numbers is often done by lots of companies to protect their R&D invested time. MP also removes the numbers from his products as well.

Yep, you have to do that, unfortunately. I've been asked a many times as to why I'm so protective of the IC's that I use. I hear, "It's only an OP amp." And I say "I know, but it takes forever to figure out which ones really do the job" and that can take months to years to figure out. And I've also learned to not jump on the spec's. Not sure how they get to the specs they sometime claim, but for most of the circuits that I use the chips in, they would usually stink (parasitic oscillation) before they live up to their claimed bandwidth, or the range that you're after.

I too had a look at the marquee Vim HDMI that I have, and found out some interesting things. Well, I made a few changes, but it's something that once I confirm in the presence of someone else. I'll also be sharing that with Moome as to what I've found and the changes I've made. It's not something that I'm interested in offering or doing anything with.

On my HDMI VIM. I've added a few inductors to rails to better isolate the digital section from the analog section. I also do a few other things with caps. The buffer was also replaced and an inductor (hash/HF suppressor) was added to the output after the resistor.

The change was obvious and could also be seen in my screenshots. I just want to quantify it using a stock card. Once I have that confirmed, I'll get back to Moome, as he can Implement the changes in his next batch if he wants.

During my testing I've also found that the mini RGB lines on the Marque VIM from the slot 2 card to the relays is a little heavy with capacitance when doing 1080P, so we had to do a very slight peaking on the finals section of the VIM HDMI to smooth things out to the relays (the hardest part..Crying or Very sad)

Op Amps are hell to work with. You would think you could just pull one off the shelf based on its specs and all is fine, especially for a buffer or basic amp section, but that's not the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24
Jump to: