Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

A $2,500 Woofer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: A $2,500 Woofer? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just received the latest Madisound catalog. Very interesting; how can so many drivers exist for DIY'ers? I'm looking through it and I find this 31.5" Fostex woofer that lists for $2,535.75! This isn't some overwrought audiophile subwoofer box, but just the driver! What in the world can be done to a woofer to make it cost over $2,500? Maybe it's worth it; I haven't come across a description on how it's made and so I won't pass judgement based solely on price. But one thing that gets me is that it uses alnico for the magnet - hello, Fostex! - the speaker world is moving to neodymium and I certainly would expect the latest technology and materials for the price.

With specs like a .69 QTS and a VAS of 3210 liters, this driver is obviously meant for an infinite baffle and I'm certain that it performs very well there. Not many of us have the room or the situation for this simplest, and perhaps best, woofer alignment system. Is this the ideal woofer for an IB? I'd sure like to hear from someone who has experience with it.

If $2,500 isn't enough for you, Fostex is coming out with a 16" woofer with a list price of $2,672.70 (why the odd cents? At these numbers, why not just round?). No specs are included. There are quite a number of excellent 15" and 18" woofers around so they'll have a very hard time justifying this price.

The Fostex line also includes $1,400+ and $2,200+ wood horns. Why wood? Is wood a superior material for horns or is it just for looks? I would be worried about all the wood things, like drying, cracking, etc.

Anyway, regardless of quality and performance, at these prices, I won't be able to invest in Fostex drivers for my speaker project.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a link ....

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=304
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Executioner X21 is a better deal than that one.Thumbs Up If you really want to rock,you can buy 10 of the x21's for the cost of just one of those.

Which do you think would thump harder?

One 31.5'

or

Ten 21s"

Of course this is considering you have the room for them Mr. Green

View user's photo album (24 photos)
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Tom, but it doesn't tell me anything about why it's worth the asking price. I wouldn't think a scaled up 15" or 18" woofer should cost several times as much as the 15" or 18". Just from the looks of it I can't see the justification. Maybe it's there but I won't shell out on specs alone.

Got to look at those Executioner X21 woofers now - maybe it's just what I'm looking for.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody with more money than sense will buy it just for the bragging rights of having the biggest. Justification of the cost is probably because they are not mass produced, like the 12" and 15" drivers, so the cost of the tooling and labor to manufacture them has to be recovered in only a few examples. Kinda like the difference in a Fiat and Ferrari (looking at price, not performance).
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimme a bunch of smaller drivers anyday over one mega-large one. They'll move just as much air but do so with less inertia/lag as well.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AvgOrdinaryGuy wrote:
Kinda like the difference in a Fiat and Ferrari (looking at price, not performance).

don't be dissin the Fiat Neutral, first production 4 wheel disc,first belt driven DOHC,longest continuous production run of a body type,longest production use of a single engine design (Lampredi inline 4) with modifications. yeah I have one in the garage...

I would just love to talk to the designers of these speakers and find out what they intended them for Very Happy
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Analog_Alpha

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what FIAT stands for? Don't you?

FIX
IT
AGAIN
TONY

Chris
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't be dissin the Fiat

Do they use salt on the roads in the winter in B.C. like Minnesota does? I've seen a few relatively new Fiats (when they were fairly popular here) completely rusted out.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose wrote:
Quote:
don't be dissin the Fiat

Do they use salt on the roads in the winter in B.C. like Minnesota does? I've seen a few relatively new Fiats (when they were fairly popular here) completely rusted out.

No we don't, but the 124 is not a winter car. some of the ones that lived on the coast (Vancouver,Victoria..) suffered from the salt air and long wet winters, but nothing like cars from the east-the rust I have seen on 10 -15 year old cars in Ontario and New York Shocked I have had visitors from back east stop on the street when they saw a 60's or 70's car drive by!!..."wow, lots of people out here drive vintage cars!!?" Very Happy
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog_Alpha wrote:
You know what FIAT stands for? Don't you?

FIX
IT
AGAIN
TONY

Chris

If thats all you know about Fiat you don't know much...
here are a couple more: back at the end of 05 the market value of Fiat exceeded the value of General Motors (thanks to GM no less..)
the first production transverse engine with gearbox on end...... FIAT
the list goes on,and on

Very Happy if "our" manufacturers were even trying to be as progressive as the European makers we would have the option of the new diesels, or safety features like power windows that return to open if they encounter blockage, (two cases of children being choked to death by power windows out here this summer) a feature that is common on European models. Even getting the safer style window switches in US cars took a 5 year transition window that is not fully in effect till the end of next year!

rant

rant
Stonefool

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm completely derange, but how does this "$2,500" stand against a (about) $600 SVSubwoofer?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonefool wrote:
Maybe I'm completely derange, but how does this "$2,500" stand against a (about) $600 SVSubwoofer?

I'll bet extremely well. It's meant for use in an infiinite baffle and nothing else. It's better to eliminate the box and all it's hassles.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any idea what it costs to make the molds for the investment-cast frame for a speaker that size?

Or if it's a stamped frame, do you have any idea what the cost of the stamping dies would be?

That's WHY the speakers cost so much. Because the tooling is undoubtedly hideously expensive.

CJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: