Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Got a bead on a Runco today, would like some input...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laser117

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Got a bead on a Runco today, would like some input... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This is what he said in the email:

"Runco DTV 992U. Ser # 1189999

I think there is a remote. Unit had a programming issue that is why it was replaced, the value is in the parts. I am available friday for viewing, includes hanging bracket and hardware."

Not entirely sure if it's running (set up in some way to demo). He says it's for parts, that it works, in excellent condition. I plan to check it out tomorrow or shortly there after.

I'm not familiar with Runcos, but my Ampro was fun to set up with the inputs, etc. I'm thinking that this is a configuration issue, that he was too cheap to bother with, and went with digital. It's supposed to be a Barco 808 from Curt's lists.

Any ideas of what a "programming issue" could possibly be that sidelines it? The price is a steal, I plan to get it anyways. I figure I can always part it out to one of you guys. Wink

I'd rather use it myself, though, so any help would be appreciated.
View user's photo album (16 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 992U is a rebadged and color-filtered Barco BG808s. I'd grab it! Maybe Curt can fix the problem easily (assuming it's not just a pilot error) and then you'd have a great projector.
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a no-brainer. Snag it before someone here does.
laser117

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember the Ampro was a bitch to set up even with the manual, and for a rich guy that pays people to do things, he's obviously not comfy with the innards of a complicated CRT. If the battery died on the inside, and it reset, it'd be a lot of hours to reconfig/converge everything and get the inputs straight. If you are paying someone, and you have money, most people would just go digital.

Except us. Wink
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you 100 bucks + shipping for the lenses. Very Happy
View user's photo album (2 photos)
laser117

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in my van! It's damn near mint, came out of an estate. I saw no wear on the tubes, one small (tiny, but there) scratch on the lens... Sad

This thing was a steal.

I got a 4404 Ultra with it...Runco Multifilm. And a mounting bracket. This thing has a camera on it, is this auto convergence?

Anyone want a slightly used Ampro 2000? Very Happy It's got an ozone leak on one tube, and the remote is packed up, have to find it, no wear that I'm aware of...but I'll have to check.

This thing is a monster compared to the Ampro. I'm going to see if I can get it fired up tonight. If it's busted, it's going for parts, but only if it's a pain in the ass to fix ($$$).

I'm giddy. It's like Christmas when I was a kid! Very Happy
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to sort out the Barco chassis with some reading
and research, and if the tubes are good you will have a really nice
opportunity to create a fine and reliable crt experience....

G
laser117

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some cheap BNC to BNC to go from this 4404 to the projector just for testing. I hate to drop $60+ in cables to find out something is fried. Any cheap temp solutions out there? I saw a thread that used shielded Cat5 with BNC ends. I plan on hitting Radio Shack tomorrow to see what I can make.
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... how much was it?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good score! I remember walking you through the Ampro Smile

THe 4404 is probably worthless, and those typically now have low video output levels due to bad parts in it. I can rebuild it if the colors look off, but heck, get a Fury, a BR player and put the 4404 on eBay for $10.
tse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laser117 wrote:
I need some cheap BNC to BNC to go from this 4404 to the projector just for testing. I hate to drop $60+ in cables to find out something is fried. Any cheap temp solutions out there? I saw a thread that used shielded Cat5 with BNC ends. I plan on hitting Radio Shack tomorrow to see what I can make.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10203&cs_id=1020304&p_id=573&seq=1&format=2

For like $12.00

Scott

Thomas Jefferson
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or.. buy a used 5 BNC to BNC on eBay. Lots out there for dirt cheap, and since BNC connectors are really reliable, it's hard to find a cable that's intermittent..

I for one will never support Monoprice. I can't support a company that sells Furys without the power supply, then sends their customers here for tech support. Eff them!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I for one will never support Monoprice. I can't support a company that sells Furys without the power supply, then sends their customers here for tech support. Eff them!

You mean they send their customers to the manufacturer for support of the manufacturer's products? The nerve! Rolling Eyes

Sorry, Curt but that's bravo sierra. I'd certainly buy my HD Fury here and not Monoprice, but to get pissed at Monoprice for sending customers to the MANUFACTURER'S support forum is just dumb. Your beef should be with HKmod. If you guys want exclusivity, then negotiate that and cut Monoprice (and other resellers) out. Otherwise, tell HKmod to get his own forum so you can support only your own paying customers.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no question that I have issues with Fury for selling their unit without a power supply in the first place to Monoprice, but in the end, Mono made the decision to order them multiple times without the power supply, even though they knew that in most instances they wouldn't work.

Then, they shrug their shoulders, and send the customer here to sort it out. There have been multiple threads here of pissed off customers finding out that they need the supply. Monoprice isn't completely at fault, but when we live in a society that primarily doesn't care about features and all they shop on is price, Monoprice isn't helping the situation by selling stuff that won't work properly, and yes, boo to Fury for selling them that way. Trust me, emails have been sent..Wink

It has nothing to do with exclusivity...
laser117

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I paid $150. Had to drive two hours one way late last night so no one else would get it.

So the issue so far is the 992U isn't giving juice to the tubes, but I have no input at all. I've moved to DC from MS, and all my parts didn't make it with the Ampro, so I'm missing lots of cables I have to go rebuy now. (grrr...thought I brought them)

I was reading in the troubleshooting that some Barcos will not give the tubes juice at all unless they have a video lock, which I don't have yet. All LEDs are green, turns on, I hear static and normal "TV" noises, the tube neck heatsinks are warm. There's not even a GLOW from the tubes. I thought I could at least get the main menu/diagnostic grid pattern or something, but I get nothing. If someone can confirm this, it'd help, as the wiki says some do, and some don't do this (show nothing without a video lock on an input).

They said it went blank one day, but didn't know why. When I picked up the 4404 Ultra, a screw was loose in it. When they unscrewed the feet to put it in the rack, a lock nut on the inside came loose that held the ground from the AC input. I don't know if the 4404 is shorted out or not, and so I need the BNC cables, that's its only output (I think). If that went down, the projector wouldn't work. I can see the ground taking a while to work itself loose after the foot was removed...so...there's the best case scenario hypothesis. Very Happy

The realistic one is that the power supply or a board is out. Or the 4404 died and they were too lazy to take it out of the chain and scrapped both. Dunno yet.

I will say this: This thing is a stupidly HUGE beast. I mean, BIG. I've never seen a 9" set before, and now I'm a bit scared. Wink The Ampro looks like a portable CRT in comparison.

Oh, and these are both 2002 model Runcos. Would this version have the new rebuildable tubes instead of the Sony's? Where do I check for the number?

I see NO wear on the tubes when I shine a flashlight in there. Don't have a remote...would be interested if someone had one on the cheap. Wink

And I'm only the second owner.

Last edited by laser117 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a wired remote in the back end of these? Can you bring up the menus? I may have a remote for it. I bought one for a spare but it doesn't work with my 1209s
laser117

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a built in remote. I'd just like an infrared one. (assuming the set works) It does nothing right now, no menus, nothing. Remember, not even a *remote* charge in the tubes. Mmmmm....puns.

http://imgur.com/SKrWYl.jpg

I thought this picture was pretty funny. I'm not a big guy, but damn.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI the BG808s is roughly the same size as a Marquee 8500 (longer but narrower), longer than an XG, smaller than a G70, etc.

The Ampro is a 7" and a small one at that. The Barcos are longer than most other 8" models but otherwise not that unusually large or heavy.

Congrats on what seems to be a great score! Hope you can get it working!
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
then sends their customers here for tech support. Eff them!

With or without power supplies, that's pretty crap to send them here for free tech support.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laser, I'll bet the quadrupler is gone, very common in these, and enough for an ignorant a/v company to tell the customer the set is junk. Smile

Look at the FAQ on the main site for the 808s projector, and towards the end, look for the EHT board. You'll have the newer style in it, with two red LEDs. I'll bet one or both are on. The quadrupler, HV splitter or EHT board can be bad.

BTW <sniff>, another customer has graduated from an entry level set to a high end one. I'm so proud! <sniff> Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: