Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HD PVR Cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: HD PVR Cards Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Are there any good HiDef PVR cards for HTPCs that come with software that record in HD?

Do they use any form of compression ? The reason I ask is my current std. def card records in Windows format through MCE2005 and the video is poor. I don't know if it is the card or the file format.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the card and the software you are using. ATi's old HDTV wonder card recorded in their propriatary .VCR format. Then you would have to export to MPEG2 to have a usefull file for putting on a DVD.

There's a little stand alone program I use called WatchHDTV It's great, it fit's on a floppy and runs rings aroundthe stock ATi MMC software. It has a scheduler too but I haven't used it. IT suports more than just the Ati cards too BTW. It records in WMP format. Not sure if you can port that directly to another computer or not, but, there's a little utility to convert that to MPEG (2?) again haven't tried it.

SOme of the cards record in the .TS ( transport stream ) format. This is just the way they broadcast it. No recompression.

Check out the MyHD 130 cards ( hardware decoders built in, don't think it works with MCE2005 though ) or the Divico Fusion HD cards ( it may work with MCE not sure ). Both are very popular. The MyHD card uses a pass through cable to do video and the Fusion uses your computer video card, so if you have a custom resolution/timmings set for your video card I'd go for the 2nd one.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Analog,

I have an older ATI 9800 Pro with DVI out. I use the DVI out to a JohnHWman IFB-DVI card on my PJ.

I don't need the MYHD 130 daughter card to get DVI out do I? Will the video re-route through the bus to my video card? I hate the idea of having to add a DVI/HDMI switch.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep if you want to use the My HD130 card with DVI you'll need the daughter card. It has to use the pass through. Go for the Divico card since you are looking for a single cable solution.

BTW I just hooked my 42" RPTV via DVI from my ATi 9800 AIW card. The DVI conection doesn't look half bad except the colors are over blown, and of course I have to re-do the 1080i setup on my TV now that i have a different input. I've got it pretty close but still have some pin cushion.

Hero's looked great off the HTPC tonight.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Fusion cards from DVICO

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/fusion5express.aspx

Ive used it, it works well and looks great!

View user's photo album (3 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:

John,

What are you using now?
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:

John,

What are you using now?

Dishnetwork hd dvr... Embarassed

however, when someone hac....alters the software on the dishnet, im getting another fusion 5. It works really well.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: HD PVR Cards Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
Are there any good HiDef PVR cards for HTPCs that come with software that record in HD?

Do they use any form of compression ? The reason I ask is my current std. def card records in Windows format through MCE2005 and the video is poor. I don't know if it is the card or the file format.

This is getting a bit old now...but anyway.

When you say video quality is poor what do you mean? What is your display? Maybe it is poor because you comparing watching 480i upconverted to a 100" screen vs. your little 19" CRT TV?

If you simply want to add HD to your HTPC just buy a card and let MCE do the recording. Works for me great. If you already have MCE you don't need to buy anymore software.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I understand the limitations of upscaling low res sources. What I meant is with my current PVR card the live feed looks better than the recorded version on the same display (G70 @ 94"W).

MCE records in *.WMF I think? So I wondered if that file format used a form of compression that reduced video quality or perhaps it's the PVR card at fault. Maybe both, I don't know.

I'm in the market for a HD card and was wondering what the latest trend was.

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying that the recorded version looks worse than the live version when they are both viewed on the G70? That is strange. There are quality settings in the record settings menu in MCE. Perhaps you have that set to low.

I can hardly stand to watch SDTV at anything over 27". It is pretty crucial. You will not be disappointed by the quality of the OTA pvr cards. I have yet to see any cable cards in real life but that would be neat (although) expensive.

MCE records in .dvr-ms. If you have any recent burning programs I believe it s fairly easy to burn to dvd or convert the format.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
There are quality settings in the record settings menu in MCE. Perhaps you have that set to low.

I can hardly stand to watch SDTV at anything over 27".

The quality setting is on high and there should be plenty of computer horsepower.

Most of the Std. Def stuff recored is either for my wife or kids. I don't watch much TV but the few shows I do are all available OTA in HD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: