Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Is it worth getting good cables?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Is it worth getting good cables? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ok
I've got half decent cables and speaker wires for my ht but i'm looking at stuff for my audio system upstairs.

My local audio store has always given me wicked deals on equipment the past years. I've recently picked up a pair of B&W CM1 speakers and stands as well as a creek 5450SE integrated amp.
I got a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven speakers cables (3m) half price. they have now give me a deal on some Nordost Blue Heaven RCA cables.

What do people think of these cables? I was running (cough) monster before. I do notice a difference over the monster.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you notice a difference than go for it; personally I didn't hear any difference when I went from monster cable to 12 gauge romex house wiring. Do an experiment, go to your nearest home improvement store and buy enough romex to wire in one speaker, than use the system and see if you can really hear a difference. To make the test fair you should really have another person set it up and them not tell you what is what.

I don't believe that the cables make any difference but do whatever makes you happy:D,

Erik
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a test about 10 years ago with different RCA cables. I found they all had different 'sounds' to them. I tested the cheap ones that came with all the components and some monster cables, tributaries and other brands I no longer remember. What it came down to for me was the tributaries sounded the cleanest with vocals, the monster had muddy vocals but cleaner base and the cheap cables that come with everything sounded 'tinney'.

Shortly after I changed my speaker cables because I needed longer cables. Going from 18AWG to 12 AWG flat OFC ABCDEFG cables didn't make a huge difference except the 12 AWG could handle the power from the amps without over heating.

Dito for what Zubu said. If they sound good to you use them. Your ears are the ultimate judge.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the B&W speakers are bi-wired and I did notice a huge difference is range when I went from just ordinary speaker cables with jumper bars to real bi-wired speakers.

The interconnect cables i've been listening to a range of music and yeah I do notice a difference. I guess my dog will be starving for the next few weeks while I enjoy my stereo. Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
the B&W speakers are bi-wired and I did notice a huge difference is range when I went from just ordinary speaker cables with jumper bars to real bi-wired speakers.

The interconnect cables i've been listening to a range of music and yeah I do notice a difference. I guess my dog will be starving for the next few weeks while I enjoy my stereo. Laughing

You know no matter how much of a bachelor I was being while building my system I always made sure of 3 things. Catfood for the cats, cat litter for the cats and TP for me. I sometimes never new where my next meal was going to come from, especially after dropping $3800 on amps that one time, but I sure new where it was going. Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true...dog gets food. I starve but happy with my new toys.
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting good cables? Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
ok
I've got half decent cables and speaker wires for my ht but i'm looking at stuff for my audio system upstairs.

My local audio store has always given me wicked deals on equipment the past years. I've recently picked up a pair of B&W CM1 speakers and stands as well as a creek 5450SE integrated amp.
I got a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven speakers cables (3m) half price. they have now give me a deal on some Nordost Blue Heaven RCA cables.

What do people think of these cables? I was running (cough) monster before. I do notice a difference over the monster.

I love nordost cables. I think they make a difference. Some here will tell me im crazy.

If you like the sound, go for it. At the very least, they hold their value well. So you can resell them on 'da bay for good money, if you dont like them Wink

View user's photo album (3 photos)
oliverg

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do double blind A/B testing with you and a friend. Be honest.

Then go buy some good quality cables without spending too much. Good quality means 'built' well, made well - using reasonable quality components. Some people say spend more money on speaker wire than interconnects.

It all comes down to your ears. See if your dealer will let you audition some.

Good luck

Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite amps is the Pass Labs Aleph 5 along with the Pass Labs Aleph P preamp. 60 watts of clear class A. Tried several cables but ended up using Kimber balanced silver cross connects. But when it came to speaker cables #6 or #10 twisted but insulated solid copper sounded great !

Pass Aleph 5 specs

http://cygnus.ipal.org/mirror/www.passlabs.com/a5lit.htm

Pass Aleph P preamp

http://cygnus.ipal.org/mirror/www.passlabs.com/apstphle.htm
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been massive fights/dsicussions on the high end avs area.

I say you're all nuts if you hear a difference. Mind you, I haven't tried it, but to me in order to hear cable differences, you need to be able to switch instantaneously between interconnects or speaker cables. I therefore suggested over at avs to build a relay/switch AB box.

The argument was that the switch box inserts coloration in the system, so you won't hear the cables. I say that the coloration that massive 10 amp contacts would add would be the same for both cables, so that you'd still hear the cable 'signature' itself if there is any.

No one has shown me yet scientifically with measurements how a cable can make a difference. Most white papers that cable manufacturers put out are pure hocus pocus, ie: sh*t, and that convinces me more than ever that they are only after your money.
rod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good links in the CRT section of AVS. When doing the research I made the conclusion that even if it made a difference it wouldn't necessarily make the cheaper cables sound worse. If you like what you hear then that is what you should get. I have used both cat 5 wiring and 10gauge speaker wire and I did not hear a distinct difference, good or bad. Scientifially there are characteristics that change with wiring types but most of if your ear can't discern.
The way I look at it is if a pictureframe that is levelled with a level still looks crooked are you going to leave it that way?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I spent the weekend listening to music on my system and I think I'll get the cables. Hey at almost half off...you can't go wrong.
I personally wouldn't spend the $$ and get these cables for my home system unless I had a ton of extra $$. My system upstairs is a dedicated music system and I do notice a bigger range and base from the cables.

For a HT system where the range isn't so large half decent ones will work fine as do half decent speaker wires. IMO
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
Some people say spend more money on speaker wire than interconnects.
I would have guessed the other way around? I have heard very obvious differences between interconnects. Switching from Monster speaker wire to entry level Audioquest yielded none although there are supposed to be much better speaker wires out there nowadays? I have to admit I haven't listened to very expensive speaker cable so I don't really know if it makes a difference or not?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the blind/double-blind test when talking something like cables. What good is it in buying something you may not be able to appreciate, whether or not that is in seeing or hearing?

And even if it does 'make a difference' can you see/hear that difference?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with draganm, I think interconnects make a bigger difference (noticeable hearing wise) over speaker cables.
I have played with different gauge speaker cables and have heard a difference in range and especially base. I heard a major difference between normal speaker cables with the jumper bars on my B&W to the proper bi-wiring. HUGE range difference and definitely in the base. The Creek 5350SE doesn't have a treble or base adjustment so it was nice to hear I got the same sound out of my system as I hear in the stereo store without he nice Moone cd player and using my 10yr Denon.

the Interconnection cables I did hear a dfference and my roommate did as well. I didn't say anything to him he just said..Wow the system is sounding really good today.

Well with the cables being half price basically it makes them even more attractive.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
I agree with draganm, I think interconnects make a bigger difference (noticeable hearing wise) over speaker cables.
I have played with different gauge speaker cables and have heard a difference in range and especially base. I heard a major difference between normal speaker cables with the jumper bars on my B&W to the proper bi-wiring. HUGE range difference and definitely in the base. .

Are you willing to demo this if I come to the Island? If you've heard a difference, I'd like to hear that for myself, and if I do, I'll apologize to everyone that I've antagonized on the >$20K forum over the years..Smile
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure...but you have to come over to the island hahahhahaha and while you are here you can take a look at my PJ setup.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might work out. Email me your phone number to my home emails (604) 514-1751 and I'll give you a shout when I come over.
Xeus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to an interesting read on speaker wire.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Matt
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the part about the wire comparison. Even the writer is missing the big problem with those 50' rolls of wire. A roll of wire turns into a big inductor, so both rolls will actually negatively affect the signal going to the speakers. With an 8 ohm speaker, you'd need 8 ohms of wire resistance to create 1/2 volume in the thinner roll, so at 2.something ohms of the smaller wire gauge, it should hardly yield a lower volume. Something is very fishy about that a/b test. Methinks there's some resistors behind the board somewhere..Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: