Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HT with 105 seats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'd like to ask that idiot "professor" if she "actually needs that amount of education to have a good life. There are uneducated people. There are ignorant people. There are serious educational concerns, and she's just not addressing that."

Stupid b***h.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the old "children are starving" fallacy - also known colloquially as a 'false alternative'.

If there was a direct, either-or choice between Mr. Chase possessing a large dwelling, and a solution to world hunger, the esteemed professor might have a point. However, the argument as presented requires either that, or an assumption that everyone will be required to live while consuming precisely the 'correct' amount of... well, consumables - a level which, presumably, matches the professor's economic footprint.

Unfortunately, it seems fairly obvious that there is no practical way to get everyone in the world to match their lifestyles. That's just not very... human.

If the professor had argued that, as an individual, Mr. Chase should be reconsidering his personal charitable contribution given his income, then she'd have been an ignorant busybody. The implication that his particular housing project indicates a failure of overall social policy, however, smacks either of willful stupidity or self-aggrandizing showmanship. Deciding which it is is an exercise best left to the reader...
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Great stuff, Arnold! Thanks for sharing that. Heywood is right -- you'll find many kindred souls here. Though not many with your HT budget. Laughing Welcome to the asylum, and I hope you'll keep us updated on your HT construction!

Gary

Welcome Heff, I mean Arnold. Wink Seriously, nice house. Are there any trees left in Maine? Laughing Mr. Green

And budget? Who's got a CRT HT budget? Most everyone I know in this hobby wings it and redirects funds. sh*t, I've been "budgeting" to get the roof replaced on my house for the last 3 years... but the moome's, Gary M's, Kim's, jousts, and the rest of the Sirens lure me and my money away. (I lack willpower...I'll admit it). Laughing (Hey, I bought the wife an umbrella. I'm not heartless ya know!)

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK let me retract my earlier obviously mis informed statement

Quote:
VERY nice place you have there Thumbs Up

And modify it to, OH MY GOD, that is a very, very nice place you have there. Thumbs Up

The picture with the nomex suits is classic

I am an iconoclast
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of cost this is one cool HT ! Laughing
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achase wrote:

You have no idea what its been like the past two weeks...I used to be in the media myself, and I never would have believed it possible to distort a situation as much as I've just witnessed!

Ohhh I would certainly believe that one..

Congrats on your successes.. That is one awesome home, and I hope it serves it intended purpose well..

You are an inspiration to me sir.

Quote:

Are contemporary journalists completely incapable of writing good hard news stories without adding editorial or trying to invent a "big picture" where none exists

I would say yes.. and it goes beyond incapable.. But I will save those stories for another thread Wink

TV/Projector: Christie 4k DCI

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Welcome to the forum Arnold ! Can you give a little more information on the audio system and cables ?

The cables and amps are discussed a few posts back. Here's some more detail on the speakers:

http://www.ntplx.net/~achase/HPS-1.tif

http://www.ntplx.net/~achase/HPS-2.tif

http://www.ntplx.net/~achase/HPS-3.tif

http://www.ntplx.net/~achase/HPS-4.tif

http://www.ntplx.net/~achase/HPS-5.tif

The processor has yet to be determined, but it will have to be balanced output to be compatible with the amps.
Ridebreck

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what kind of seating are you planning on furnishing that killer space with? You going with more of the regular-style theater seats or something along the line of Berklines?

Very impressive pad, I must say, man.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind Arnold, but I took the liberty of converting the 5 separate MS TIFFs into a PDF w/5 pages so anyone who isn't using a Windows box can also see the speaker info you posted.

For those who haven't peeked yet, the 3 mains assemblies weigh in at almost 450 pounds (202 kg) EACH. Shocked Each main also stands just short of 6 feet (182 cm) tall.

1350 pounds of main loudspeakers, a giant projector to light a huge screen, concrete tiers, and a dedicated transformer with four separate service drops to the house. What's not to love about this project??!!?

Smile

SC

HPS.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  HPS.pdf
 Filesize:  2.36 MB
 Downloaded:  1508 Time(s)

View user's photo album (10 photos)
achase

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridebreck wrote:
So what kind of seating are you planning on furnishing that killer space with? You going with more of the regular-style theater seats or something along the line of Berklines?

The exact seats haven't been picked out yet, but they will probably be normal theater style with extra width, upholstering, etc.

My kids and I are experienced at installing these, as we had a 'family project' assembly line doing this the last time (on a smaller scale).
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some extra padding in those seats for those two and a half hour movies ! Wink
NewbieDAN

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achase wrote:
Ridebreck wrote:

The exact seats haven't been picked out yet, but they will probably be normal theater style with extra width, upholstering, etc.

My kids and I are experienced at installing these, as we had a 'family project' assembly line doing this the last time (on a smaller scale).

You must have plenty of kids! Mr. Green

....dad, my arms are getting sore....stop complaining, there's only 75 more to go.... Thumbs Up

Looks fantastic Arnold, looking forwards to more progress pics.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just glad you could talk the wife into the HT ! Thumbs Up
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Arnold....I've got the nads to come out and ask it.....are we going to see a forum invite to an HT meet down the road some time? Invite enough of us and make attendance contingent upon installation of your own seat and that'll take care of that to-do list item. Mr. Green Put the HT geeks to work! Laughing

Fantastic project you have. What a fun adventure it must be to take on a project as large as your home and grounds.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
achase

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
So Arnold....I've got the nads to come out and ask it.....are we going to see a forum invite to an HT meet down the road some time? Invite enough of us and make attendance contingent upon installation of your own seat and that'll take care of that to-do list item. Mr. Green Put the HT geeks to work! Laughing

Fantastic project you have. What a fun adventure it must be to take on a project as large as your home and grounds.

Greg

Of course there will be a 'field trip'...what did you think the extra seats were for anyway???

Even though a LOT of thought went into this project, there are always better ways to do things that come about as a result of different perspectives and suggestions.

Keep patient, as the duct work is just going in now. Estimated completion time is October '08. Who knows, maybe the "format war" will be over by then...

I'll try to post progress photos along the way. If I get preoccupied with other things, just prod me along -
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What format war ? No way !!! I'm still Buying HD-DVD just in case ! Wink
Alaric

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

Stunning scale of set-up there....Its fairly mindblowing having a read through some of the details, its also nice to seem someone of means and an interest in the hobby....I've read a lot of 'wow' type magazine articles that have some nice kit in places but its been installed for them and they don't really understand whats going on. You certainly seem to have a grasp on what you want to do and achive and a passion and thats cool.

As for cables, i've never gone that esoteric, but i've played with some of the brands and had a go at making my own and so far i've seen remarkably little difference. My current set-up uses Cat5 based cabling !

a friend a while back had some Klipschorns and they certainly sounded nice and fast, I'd have time for those...I'm curious about the HPS4000, though some of the site claims remind me of Bose (bending physics), I'm also not so sure i apriciate the Orchestra equivolency factor either....maybe sheer power doesn't factor in so much for me, but then i've only 5 sets in my HT (though we had 8 people...i would say you can never have enough seats...but at 103 your probably safe Shocked ). It would be interesting to hear a set-up, but i doubt there are any in the UK.

Cya,
Lee
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering what the interior of the finished HT might look like ? A link to a few designs by John Allen .

http://www.hps4000.com/pages/theatres_.html
achase

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Was wondering what the interior of the finished HT might look like ?

The theater will be a "traditional" (classic) design by Theo Kalomirakis of TK Theaters. Each of his theaters is a custom design so I can't show you any exact pictures. Perhaps the closest theater design to what this will be is:

http://www.tktheaters.com/gallery/digitalpalace/digitalpalace_1.jpg

Tom.W wrote:
... will the screen be curved or flat ?

It will be flat. I wanted to use the Stewart Micro-Perf but it cannot be made for the needed dimensions. I'm still working on a substitute.

Alaric wrote:
I'm curious about the HPS4000, though some of the site claims remind me of Bose (bending physics), I'm also not so sure i apriciate the Orchestra equivolency factor either....maybe sheer power doesn't factor in so much for me, but then i've only 5 sets in my HT (though we had 8 people...i would say you can never have enough seats...but at 103 your probably safe Shocked ). It would be interesting to hear a set-up, but i doubt there are any in the UK.

Unfortunately it appears the nearest installation to you is in Norway or Sweden. What John is trying to say with his "Orchestra Equivalency" ratings is that the system is capable of handling high peak program levels effortlessly. It reminds me of the McIntosh demonstrations of the 1970's wherein they would hold clinics around the country where you could bring any brand of amplifier in to be tested before your eyes for peak power, THD, etc. Because the Macs had massive brute force power supplies, they would not sag or distort when presented with the most demanding source material, unlike their competitors that were "rated" for similar output levels but couldn't handle the input material (typically square waves at 20 Hz.). In a similar fashion, John designs his sound systems to handle the most complex program material without compromise. You have to appreciate what it takes to move the amount of air required in a large theater venue, especially the bass. If you ever get your hands on back issues of Box Office Magazine, the theater industry's main trade publication, you'll find years of technical articles by John (who is considered the MOST knowledgeable theater audio expert in the world).

John drove my architects absolutely crazy by insisting that the theater be designed around his surround sound array. He would not tolerate them to be located any more than an inch from their computed optimum locations. Similarly, from the diagrams that have been posted, you can see the precision in aiming the mains that he requires. Don't ask me what it all means ( it is probably because of precise phasing and time delay requirements, etc.), all I know is that it works!!!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

achase wrote:
snipped......
John drove my architects absolutely crazy by insisting that the theater be designed around his surround sound array. He would not tolerate them to be located any more than an inch from their computed optimum locations. Similarly, from the diagrams that have been posted, you can see the precision in aiming the mains that he requires. Don't ask me what it all means ( it is probably because of precise phasing and time delay requirements, etc.), all I know is that it works!!!

It's great to hear he would NOT compromise. I can imagine the arcitects moaning about how THEY have to work around a theater guys install.

I have a friend who's father was in the business and he had a bit of the -hollier than thou- atitude towards the HVAC, fireplace guys, HT installers, pretty much anyone that asked him to 'bend' his designs to suite thier installs.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 3 of 31
Jump to: